I went 1×10. Recommend me a chain guide.

Home Forum Bike Forum I went 1×10. Recommend me a chain guide.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • I went 1×10. Recommend me a chain guide.
  • danielgroves

So, I’ve gone 1×10. It hurts at the moment but I like it. I think the only reason it hurts is the lack of riding over the last month due to being away and the bike being broken (I never used the granny ring before, and I have a better gearing range now).

Those clutch mechs are truly fantastic. The new 10-speed XT stuff feels way nicer than the old XT stuff it replaced.

At the moment I’ve left my front-mech on as a top-guide and with a clutch mech it seems more than enough to keep the chain in place, didn’t drop it once on Sundays ride, when I was dropping a couple of times every ride before.

So, what chain guide would you recommend. I have a 35-tooth chain ring ATM, and am considering getting a bash on their as well, but 100% sure yet on that one.

The guide need to be either a BB mount or mount in the place of my front-mech as my ’08 Meta5 doesn’t have an ISCG tabs.

warpcow

The Superstar one is adequate, but the MRP and e.13 are better quality. Having used all three, I personally prefer the MRP (haven’t used the latest one though). It’s stiff and has a little more adjustment than the others.

A lot of other companies seem to be doing them too nowadays, but a lot seem to be rebadged variations on the Superstar one.

danielgroves

I’d prefer to avoid superstar, last chain guide from them caused me more issues than not having one so I’ll take a look at the MRP ones, thanks.

What are your thoughts on a full guide vs. top only for an AM rig with a clutch mech? Necessary to have a full guide, or would you run just a top guide?

Mackem

I had a similar question not so long ago…

Last post tells you I went for a pair of BBG bashrings, so far, so good.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/using-a-bash-and-a-n-gear-jump-stop-to-keep-the-chain-on-my-one-ring

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I really like the MRP 1X- light, and easy to set up. I’ve got a Superstar one and it’s OK, but I’d not buy another since really good products aren’t that much more expensive.

I get on fine with just the clutch and top guide on the ragley, not sure if it’d work as well if you add chain growth etc from a full suss though but it’s been ridden plenty hard, no bother.

flimsy

I’ve been running a 1×10 for a fair while on my hardtail. Running a zee mech with a LG1+ up front; what i loved most was how quiet it was.

I recently bought a Giant trance and run a zee mech with a superstar components top guide. I’ve given it a good scram over the last couple of weekends and too my surprise ive yet to drop a chain! My only issue thus far is chain flap…even with the clucth mech im still getting a rattle and flap from the chain. Not as bad as a non clucth setup, just not as good as clutch + full chainguide. I’m putting it down to the lack of lower roller so just ordered a bionicon C-guide to see if it helps.

I had a fair bit of chain flap when I fotted a clutch mech – shortened the chain, problem solved.

passtherizla

MRP G2SL

[/url]
    Cotic Rocket by passtherizla, on Flickr[/img]

svalgis

Don’t use the C-guide with the clutch enabled – the tension will rip it off.

flimsy

Don’t use the C-guide with the clutch enabled – the tension will rip it off

Are you speaking from experience?

I know of one other person runnin with cluch mech on amnd read a couple reveiws of guys running the same setup with no issues!

danielgroves

Thanks everyone.

I really like the MRP 1X- light, and easy to set up.

Looks good, ideal if I decide a top only is the way foreword.

I had a fair bit of chain flap when I fotted a clutch mech – shortened the chain, problem solved.

So based on this you don’t think I’d need a lower roller as well as an upper guide?

[…]not sure if it’d work as well if you add chain growth etc from a full suss though[…]

Exactly what I’m worried about by going for a top-only guide.

MRP G2SL

Looks smart, thanks for the picture. Looks like a good bet if I decide to go for a full guide.

Don’t use the C-guide with the clutch enabled

Wouldn’t work on the meta5 anyway due to the design of the swingarm.

I guess the main question now I have a few product recommendations for top only and a full guide, will I be likely to have any issues when I hit rougher terrain with a top-only guide, baring in mind that chain will grown with it being a full-suss.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

See how you go with the front mech on for now, before deciding if you need a bottom guide too?

I made my 1×10 debut yesterday, with a MRP x1 guide and XT clutch mech on a hardtail.

Shrugged off the bumpiest terrain Rivington has to offer so I’m happy with it.

🙂

boxfish

Blackspire EinfachX

svalgis

Are you speaking from experience?

I know of one other person runnin with cluch mech on amnd read a couple reveiws of guys running the same setup with no issues!
    No, admittedly I was just paraphrasing Bionics’ recommendation. If real world experience shows that it’s work, great, don’t mind me. 🙂

Superficial

I’ve got an e13 XCX (I.e. top mount only) coupled with a Shimano Shadow + mech, have had it for a few months now and I’m impressed. I’ve not lost the chain yet. FWIW I don’t think a front mech fixed in one position is comparable – the XCX is much narrower and surrounds the chain far better (it doesn’t need to move / clear the chainring). This is on my 5″ full sus XC bike by the way, and I ride in the peaks so it’s definitely rocky enough for a decent test. On a DH bike I’d probably still go for a bottom guide for added security but I just don’t think you need it for XC / All mountain / whatever you want to call it.

The main issue is that you can’t run a bashring with this setup (the chain device gets in the way) although you could use a BB-mounted taco device. I haven’t bothered – it sounds stupid but the chain is always protecting the chainring (unlike if you’re using 2x or 3x) so the odd rock strike isn’t really an issue. I used to use 2×10 with a bash for years and my old bashring is covered in marks (I used to ride trials so I wasn’t exactly shy about hitting it). My feeling is that I’ll probably wear out the chain and replace it before rock damage becomes an issue.

warpcow

The main issue is that you can’t run a bashring with this setup (the chain device gets in the way) although you could use a BB-mounted taco device.

MRP have a new one that’s top guide and taco. Called the AMG, I think. I was all excited until I saw the inevitable price: double the price cos it’s got double the plastic.

danielgroves – Member

So based on this you don’t think I’d need a lower roller as well as an upper guide?

You might not, but either way, shortening the chain is a cheap thing to try out.

As far as guides go, I have the MRP Lopes on two bikes, and it’s great.

warpcow – Member

MRP have a new one that’s top guide and taco. Called the AMG, I think. I was all excited until I saw the inevitable price: double the price cos it’s got double the plastic.

Some very cheap MRP AMGs on EBay, if they’re still about.

RDL-82

Anyone successfully running just a Shadow+ without a guide?

I’ve set mine up with a unramped 36t and an XT Shadow+ with chain as short as possible. Only had two rides so far and everything seems spot on and unlikely to be going anywhere…so far!
    Not got to ride anywhere really rocky yet but done a few jumps and stuff without dropping.
    Wondering whether anyone else has stayed guide less..

Personally I wouldn’t be without a lower guide (I only have a standard XT rear mech no no clutch to compare experience of). I had a MRP G2SL and thought it a little overkill for my riding so swapped it for a MRP Lopes. Both fantastic and very quiet in operation.

Jeffus

Been running XTR shadow + with e-13 XCX on my Blur for a few months now no dropped chain ridden 2-4 times a week, had an MRp x 1 on an 80mm travel 29er with xtr shadow + mech dropped the chain a couple of times, don’t know why same cranks chain ring etc

dickie

The new Hope stuff looks nice!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

RDL-82 – Member

Anyone successfully running just a Shadow+ without a guide?

I tried for a little while, didn’t really work for me at all (E13 ring and XT clutch)

RDL-82

Northwind – Member
    I tried for a little while, didn’t really work for me at all (E13 ring and XT clutch)

See how it goes then I guess, when I get out there properly again.

danielgroves

The new Hope stuff looks nice!

You seen the price of that stuff?

e-13 XCX on my Blur for a few months now no dropped chain

Sounds good, shall look at one of those then, thanks!

wouldn’t be without a lower guide (I only have a standard XT rear mech no no clutch to compare experience of)

I wouldn’t have before but given how much stiffer the clutch mechs are…

andysredmini

I have a hope guide on my trance with an xtr clutch mech. It works flawlessly and is so much neater and better looking than the ugly bulky guides like the mrp and e.13. But the using the hope does mean you need a bash ring. I have an e.13 xcx on my cove and again it works perfectly its just compared to the hope its huge. I honestly believe that some of these guides are massively over complicated with tolerances that are too tight to stop rubbing across the whole range. Just think how much clearance there is around the chain when using a front mech. I also have a Paul’s chain keeper on my anthem and again its such a simple way of stopping the chain coming off that I wouldn’t consider the e.13 xcx type again.
    I have some photos of all 3 if you want to see them. Not sure how to post them up on here though.

Andy

Hope:

Or pauls…

danielgroves

andysredmini – Pictures would be appreciated, I like my bikes to look pretty, and it’s always better to see one mounted 😛

tomcanbefound – That hope one sure does look pretty, kinda coming round to spending the extra cash now…

deanfbm

Hope does look pretty.

My experience –

Short cage x9 mech + Gamut P20S – quiet, low friction, never lost the chain
    Zee clutch mech + Gamut P20S – Zero noise, lots and lots of drag
    MRP 1x + zee clutch mech – lots of noise, i could make the chain fall off, but doubt it would actually fall off in normal use
    MRP 1x + zee clutch + C.Guide – back to quiet, no chain loss, nice and free running

My lessons learned –

.Clutch mechs do make things quiet but cause an awful lot of drag with a full guide
    .clutch + top guide is more noisy than full guide and normal mech
    .clutch + top guide isnt enough to be 100% the chain isn’t coming off
    .clutch + c.guide works with no issues on 1x if set up just to guide the chain rather than tension it

lornholio

I’ll be doing something similar this summer (1×10 with Zee clutch mech and wanting to run a bashguard). Your options are either to run a full guide with the lower part removed if you don’t want it (SRS+ unbolts, LG1+ or G2 needs to be filed off), or Hope’s guide (using their integrated bashguard/chainring as shown above if you want the slickest solution).

I have an SRS+ already which I’ll probably use but if I have a bit of cash to spend then I might splash out on the Hope.

Superficial

DeanFBM – I don’t see how the clutch thingy can result in extra drag – chain device or no chain device?

Hob Nob

Probably to do with keeping the chain tighter against the lower guide slider, creating more resistance?

I noticed when changing nothing but the mech an increase in drag when leaving the bike in the stand, not something I notice on the trail though.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

DeanFBM – I don’t see how the clutch thingy can result in extra drag – chain device or no chain device?

Me neither, but it is my experience that it makes more noise too (with top guide only).

deanfbm

Superficial – i didnt really get it either, had me massing around with guide alignment for a bit. The clutch doesn’t much any more tension on the chain, it merely prevents the lower arm rotating.

andysredmini

danielgroves

Just sent you an email with some pics.
    Post them up if you want. I cant work out how to do it.

Andy

danielgroves

Thanks again everyone.

After looking through the pictures andysredmini sent I’ll probably go down the hope route. Like the minimalism of it.

If anyone want me to upload the pictures Andy sent me just shout and I’ll do so.

RDL-82

If anyone want me to upload the pictures Andy sent me just shout and I’ll do so.

Yeah I wouldn’t mind, the Hopes a possible route I’ll take.

Superficial

Superficial – i didnt really get it either, had me massing around with guide alignment for a bit. The clutch doesn’t much any more tension on the chain, it merely prevents the lower arm rotating.

I hadn’t realised the Gamut device you’re using was one of those ones with a slider rather than a sprocket. I suppose that makes more sense as the mech would be pulling down harder onto the slider bit.

flimsy

My experience –

Short cage x9 mech + Gamut P20S – quiet, low friction, never lost the chain
    Zee clutch mech + Gamut P20S – Zero noise, lots and lots of drag
    MRP 1x + zee clutch mech – lots of noise, i could make the chain fall off, but doubt it would actually fall off in normal use
    MRP 1x + zee clutch + C.Guide – back to quiet, no chain loss, nice and free running

My lessons learned –

.Clutch mechs do make things quiet but cause an awful lot of drag with a full guide
    .clutch + top guide is more noisy than full guide and normal mech
    .clutch + top guide isnt enough to be 100% the chain isn’t coming off
    .clutch + c.guide works with no issues on 1x if set up just to guide the chain rather than tension it

Pretty much same as me, was happy with full guide (SS plasma) no noticable drag, quiet and never dropped a chain.

Now running top guide with zee on my new trance build, havnt dropped a chain but the noise and chain flap is doing my head in!! Hopefully the c-guide that ive ordered does the trick 🙂

danielgroves

Very busy at work today, so I’ll do it when I get a minute. May have to be this evening though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘I went 1×10. Recommend me a chain guide.’ is closed to new replies.