Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • I was not aware of that!
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

For those of a certain age – in that Cinzano ad with Leonard Rossiter and Joan Collins on the plane when he slaps the arm of the chair and she falls back, the stewardess who brings the drinks is Marina Sirtis, Deanna Troi from Star Trek The Next Generation

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Earth II doesn’t show you that kind of stuff 😀 Nature is so fluffy and cute isn’t it? 😀

funkmasterp

terrahawk – Member
    I know something you don’t know.
    Unabomb will set the whole world on fire?

If we don’t share then we don’t grow?

onehundredthidiot

Giraffes have seven vertebrae in their necks, same as all other mammals.

deadkenny
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member 
    For those of a certain age – in that Cinzano ad with Leonard Rossiter and Joan Collins on the plane when he slaps the arm of the chair and she falls back, the stewardess who brings the drinks is Marina Sirtis, Deanna Troi from Star Trek The Next Generation

I was not aware of that.

arrpee
    Free Member

The duck-billed platypus is one of world’s very few venomous mammals.

DezB
    Free Member

And, right it’s the only mammal with a … BILL!

And… it lays eggs!

Esme

As usual, Mumsnet does this so much better . . .

Cougar

I only found out a couple of months ago that the spoken opening line to Living on a Prayer is in fact “Once upon a time, not so long ago,” and not, as I’ve been hearing for the last ~30 years, “Chinatown, not so long ago”…

tthew

(which incidentally has a density of approx 6,600 million million million tons)

You don’t measure density in tons. (Esselgruntfuttock wasn’t aware of that)

Cougar

Lots of people over there surprised that it’s “hang gliding” and not “hand gliding.” Anyone here afflicted by this little malapropism? It’s not one I’ve ever noticed being mis-said before.

nedrapier

Lots of people over there surprised that it’s “hang gliding” and not “hand gliding.” Anyone here afflicted by this little malapropism? It’s not one I’ve ever noticed being mis-said before.

You wouldn’t. otherwise there wouldn’t be the confusion.

Similarly, you’ve never noticed that what you always assumed was a “handbag” is actually a “ham-bag”. So called by everyone, due to the little bit of ham that ladies carry in them.

Esme

This is hand-gliding:

Xylene
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNcxOwU6Xdw[/video]

funkmasterp

Along with the Echidna it belongs to the Monotremeta family, the oldest order of mammals. They both produce milk for their young through the skin as they have no nipples. They also have one orifice for reproduction and waste disposal. Fascinating animals.

nickc

Humans think we’re damned clever with unstable flight fighter planes, that are ‘inherently’ unstable, only controlled by clever computers…Well nature (of course) got there first.

the Bateleur eagle has no tail, makes for less drag, so more efficient gliding, with the added advantage of being exceptionally manoeuvrable, Additionally, when the bird is young it has a tail, and only loses it as it gets mature

fasthaggis

Esme – Member

This is hand-gliding:

No..This is hand gliding 😉

D0NK

deleted

is disappoint

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Birds don’t vaginas, they have cloacas

nicko74

thegreatape – Member 

terrahawk – Member
    I know something you don’t know.

Unabomb will set the whole world on fire?

YES!

I went through the minor hassle of logging in just to highlight this.

Abdominal is from, and lives in, Toronto. Until recently I was not aware of that.

And yet DJ Format never seems to tour here. 🙁

Also, Format has a new album out soon.

sneakyg4

You can still buy Babycham.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve only recently learnt that buffalo wings are made using chicken wings and not the wings of.. erm.. buffalo, as I previously thought.

Really had to try hard to stifle the lols in the office reading that one (from Mumsnet).

Twodogs

Duck Billed Platypus is the only animal that can make it’s own custard

unovolo
    Free Member

Duck Billed Platypus is the only animal that can make it’s own custard

Thats bollocks my 25st brother makes it,comes out of the folds in his belly! mind its doesnt smell or taste like Birds though.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

4 of the days of the week are named after Norse gods (well 3 and 1 goddess)
    1 month is named after someone with a made up name

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

This is hand-gliding:

On mumsnet it involves

MoreCashThanDash

Birds don’t vaginas, they have cloacas

Hang on, when you say “birds”……?

nedrapier

Gold can only be dissolved in aqua regia, a mixture of one part nitric acid to three parts hydrochloric acid. This acid mixture is called aqua regia because it can dissolve gold, the “king of the metals”

rossburton
    Free Member

The reflectivity of a celestial body, (IE a planet or moon) is known as it’s ‘albedo’. The albedo of Earth (which incidentally has a density of approx 6,600 million million million tons) is 0.39.

The moon has an albedo of 0.12 and coal has an albedo of 0.1, which says quite a lot about how damned bright the sun’s light is outside of the atmosphere I guess.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Esso stands for southern oil.

Greybeard

Esso was Standard Oil, not southern.

But it did take me a while to realise why Q8 petrol stations are called that.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You don’t measure density in tons. (Esselgruntfuttock wasn’t aware of that)

I just remembered wrong, It’s mass. 🙂

nicko74

Today’s Grand Prix reminded me that people in Dubai don’t like the Flintstones, but those in Abu Dhabi dooo…

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

On the same theme, that Rosberg is a better out and out driver than Hamilton.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Mumsnet genius:

I’m 46 and read on here about the stars still being in the sky during the day. I was shocked, DP grinned when I told him.

MoreCashThanDash

Yesterday I discovered that there is a cream cake called a Paris Brest. As a wannabe audaxer, would have been rude not to….

akira

The length from your shoulder to your elbow is identical as the length from your shoulder to the tip of your nose.

Stoner
    Free Member

Your wingspan is the same as your height

akira

Ah, the ape index.

BikePawl
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    Your wingspan is the same as your height

akira – Member
    Ah, the ape index.

But you can have a positive or negative ape index when your span is different to your height.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘I was not aware of that!’ is closed to new replies.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.