Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • "I was KOM, now I'm 7th – WTF!"
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Some load of idiots have been going around using motorbikes to steal everyone’s KOMs in Yorkshire. I’m reporting this to Strava!!!
    Oh, hang on, I’ve just seen the news…

Heh heh!
    The six pro Strava users in the TdF were not amazingly faster than the ‘local’ riders but the pros were doing a 120 mile ride in a peleton. The climbs are interesting. The bpm of the pros compared to the previous KOM holders are quite suprising.
    Skipton Road climb from Harrogate:
    Previous KOM – Andy Sharman – Apr 30 2014 – 17.4mph – 172bpm – 12:30
    Laurens ten Dam is the only pro with full data and he is now 4th on this segment. Niki Terpstra is new KOM.
    Laurens ten Dam – Jul 6 2014 – 18.5mph – 119bpm – 11:46
    I hope Andy Sharman (and all the others) is not too gutted. He was KOM and now he’s 7th. And I think those times will stand forever.
    I can imagine all the smartphones beeping yesterday after the finish: Email – “Hi, this is Strava, you’ve just lost your KOM…”

D0NK

😀

I was ~1550 on holme moss, gutted to have lost another 6 places 🙁

atlaz
    Free Member

I had that a couple of years ago with the Tour de Luxembourg. 3 days of constant emails telling me I’d been knocked off the KoM.

Northwind

I remember looking at some segments and being pretty pleased with my times, and thinking “wonder who’s fastest?” Greg Minaar.

Remember folks, Strava is for people who want to pretend to race 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

My local tough climb was in the Tour of Britain, pretty sure Nairo Quintana would have smashed the KOM if he’d been on Strava 🙂

Looking at those heartrates I’d guess Andy Sharman was right on his limit, whereas Laurens ten Dam was merely cruising up it!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Found a few of the Rotorua ones were topped out by the Masters boys.

Been following Laurens ten Dam on Strava since the tour last year. Tells you how much work these guys put in over a year.

martinhutch

Locals have held onto quite a few in my neck of the woods.

The still reigning KOM holder on Buttertubs made me smile, though:

http://www.strava.com/activities/151119075

richpips
    Free Member

Holme Moss is unchanged at the top http://www.strava.com/segments/1852591 though I guess they’d have been riding into the wind.

bigjim

I got a load of KOMs yesterday leaving the gps on in the car. Must have been a ripple of disbelief and anger spreading through yorkshire last night. Strava is funny.

AlexSimon

The still reigning KOM holder on Buttertubs made me smile, though:

http://www.strava.com/activities/151119075
    Blimey, bet there’s some pissed off locals

martinhutch

Would be very amusing if it was actually him. 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

That’ll be the same guy who smashed them all apart round Surrey the other year.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Strava is meant for timing climbs not descents, we MTB-ers need to remember that

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Strava is meant for timing climbs not descents, we MTB-ers need to remember that

It’s not. They just use the term KOM. It’s just a tool on the internet.

Pieface

Jenkin Road still retained by local hero

http://www.strava.com/segments/3345962

Deveron53
    Free Member

Reet ‘ard! that lad tha knows. Ironman as well, should be steelman coming from Sheffield!

svalgis
    Free Member

It’s a glorified stopwatch. It times you from A to B. What difference does the grade make?

onehundredthidiot

Think the tour of Britain organisers look at my strava to find a climb I’m in the top 10 at. Then stick the pros over it.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s not. They just use the term KOM. It’s just tools on the internet. Fify 😐

Deveron53
    Free Member

‘King of the Mountain’ does not descibe up or down. It does say ‘mountain’ so it’s not allowed on hills then…? And if a woman is fastest is she King AND Queen of the Mountain?

Strava is for those who want to pretend to race? Hell, I make motorcycle engine noises when doing a technical climb. I’m always pretending to race! It’s fun!

cookeaa

Is it Bollocks…

Its simply a data gathering and comparison tool, Up, Down or on the Flat it all counts, Don’t make excuses if you’re Mincing the DH bits…

We MTB-ers are no different from Roadies in that respect, Grunt your way up a hill, Tuck in on the road or pin-ball your way through some roots for it, but get that KOM and you are the Winner of the Internetz… FACT!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

My best road segment is a 6th equal with Alex Dowsett in deepest Essex. Its only a 20s segment but I was just starting a 360km ride.

aracer
    Free Member

I’d go back and try again if I was you – with a 20s segment you surely don’t need much of a GPS glitch for the KOM.

Superficial
    Free Member

I was looking at that – it’s not as if he’s done a 5k warm up and then smashed Jenkins’, he’s done it as part of a 115km loop. Props I say.

Having said that, where was Laurens Ten Dams in the peleton? Because it looked as though Froome / Bertie / Nibbles did it a bit quicker.

aracer
    Free Member

Exactly my thoughts – Ten Dams et al aren’t exactly useless, but they probably weren’t really going for it on that climb.

bob_summers

LtD didn’t have the best day yesterday, dropped on Jenkins.

crazy-legs

Would be very amusing if it was actually him.

JP is known as “the Banksy of Strava” – he first turned up a couple of years ago when he took the Box Hill KOM, which was almost instantly flagged but then re-instated. He’s done a few other notable rides and then disappeared before turning up again at Richmond Park a few months ago and blowing all the segments to pieces.

Then there were about 3 rides in Yorkshire on various bits of the Tour routes.

Cycling Weekly ran an article recently trying to guess who JP was. Jack Pullar was mentioned but his race results give him various alibis of being elsewhere. They reckoned it probably wasn’t Lance on the grounds that he’s got too much other stuff going on in his life…

Problem is that the ride data actually matches very well, there’s no evidence of digital epo and the heart rate data is all there to back it up.

Maybe it’s Bradley Wiggins, maybe he’s trying to prove a point in protest at not being included in the Sky Tour squad… 😉

faustus

You’d hope that a multi-olympic gold medalist and tdf winner wouldn’t be quite so tragic as to use strava to make a point! But it would be quite funny if it was…

martinhutch

Cycling Weekly ran an article recently trying to guess who JP was.

According to veloviewer, he passed plenty of other riders on the way round that one, so someone may be able to ID him.

JCL
    Free Member

I’d go back and try again if I was you – with a 20s segment you surely don’t need much of a GPS glitch for the KOM.

Agreed. It’s laughably inaccurate. Especially comparing a phone with a Garmin.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Agreed. It’s laughably inaccurate. Especially comparing a phone with a Garmin.

And this is why I don’t get too excited about Strava. I use it now, as it’s easier than the Garmin Connect tool.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘"I was KOM, now I'm 7th – WTF!"’ is closed to new replies.