Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • I want to watch the Tour Sunday – just drive?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Hi,

After being glued to the coverage, tempted to go and watch Sunday by driving up on Sunday morning.

Anyone else going?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Apparently is gonna be a touch busy so either go early or get ready!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Trying to finish my project work now so get up early and drive.

Looked at maps but don’t what the heck I’m doing/going.

Driving from Peterborough.

Just du it…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Only half of the country by the sounds of things. Every cycling related friend I have is going up. I will be riding my bike and watching some actual racing on the telly. If I hadn’t seen it before I would be going to tick it off the list but having stood around up an alpe for 6hrs+ to see a few seconds of cycling I don’t think I’ll bother. It’s not a spectator sport but it is a carnival for a few hours.

MoreCashThanDash

If you live in Peterborough, forget Sunday and go to Cambridge on Monday.

The roads on Sunday start to close to traffic from 7am, it will be a nightmare if you are not there before then

chewkw
    Free Member

I prefer telly because watching them at the location will only last for few seconds. 😆

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’m working Monday and can’t call in sick otherwise I’d be in Cambridge.

headfirst
    Free Member

Get yourself up here! It’s already epic and it’s gonna be even more epic tomorrow!! Drive up now, get as close as you can, sleep in your car and join the fun tomorrow.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Any villages/town recommendations?

I might have to drive up in the morning as work weekends from home.
    Trying to finish now so Sunday is free.

headfirst
    Free Member

Driving up in the morning will be too late as roads start closing in the morning, unless you set off at 4am. Langsett north of Sheffield might be accessible?

I’m further north in Huddersfield and I’m going to Holme Moss where about 60,000 folk are expected!

EDIT: google says 2 hour drive for you to Langsett, so you can set off at 5am, maybe even 6am instead.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Ok sounds like a plan!

Thanks headfirst!

CaptJon
    Free Member

I couldn’t think of a worse way to watch a sport i love. Get up early, stand around for hours with a bunch of wimbledon mums and bored kids for a few seconds of coloured blurs.

tinribz
    Free Member

Yep waste of time:

I really need a new camera though.

rossi46
    Free Member

Yep waste of time:

Nice- the cycling equivalent of the Isle Of Man TT 😉

rossi46
    Free Member

It’s not really about the ’30 seconds and it’s over’ though is it? It’s about being there, the atmosphere and the being in a crowd of like minded and curiously interested people.
    Isn’t it?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The roads today around Otley / Ilkley were empty. The trains were rammed

oldboy
    Free Member

Forget about parking close to the key stages, like Holme Moss. You can park at £10 a time in any number of local fields, but be prepared for a long walk!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I’m calling in a day off on Monday…

dannybgoode

Tomorrow I shall be stepping out of my front door and… Even thinking of having breakfast in the middle of the dual carriageway.

Am ever so slightly giddy with excitement.

Oh, and drove out to Ilkley to watch it today. Well worth it. Yes the peleton flies by (and I nearly took them all out!) but the atmosphere is worth experiencing.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I was at Grinton today, the traffic wasn’t half as bad as I’d expected, but I parked up 7 miles away & biked in. It was like Beijing at rush hour getting out though.
    It was worth the 5 hr wait if that’s any encouragement.

jag61

looking to ride to Langsett due through about 3pm but what time to arrive poss near Langsett res. dont really want to be stood around for 5 hrs waiting! aim for 1pm? any chance that will work

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As Funk says, the roads I saw around the tour today were very quite, everyone came on the train or bike. It’s probably worth the risk, take bike(s) and see how near you can get before having to abandon the car. Even yesterday (the day before all the local road closures), when I expected the roads to be rammed with people getting in, it was very quite.

chipster

Jag61, the caravan’s due through 2 hours before the riders. You’re not allowed on the course approx 30 mins before they’re due.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have been watching TDF on telly but all I can see is the roadside fatties … I mean … spectators … 😆

muddodger
    Free Member

I watching it on’t telly,but part of me wishes I’d gone,but couldn’t justify the 30 seconds of colour, but 2 highlights made it for me.

1, at about 150km to go, during first little crash on an incline, someone dressed in black falling down a bank off the road.
    2, fat bloke in pink getting taken out by the shoulder of a passing cyclist at bout 45mph.

muddodger
    Free Member

Black figure on the edge of the crowd line, left hand corner!!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Managed to get there!

Thanks guys!

Drove to Sheffield at 1030, no traffic & arrived at 1250.

Road to Lancett but the police were
    turning walkers and riders back as there were too many spectators.

Rode to High Bradfield and got a great view as riders approached from below.

Was knackered from riding flat out up hill…

Totally worth it and glad I tried.

All the stuff about being there the night before or a 4am start or camping lol

I must have been lucky and missed the traffic?!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘I want to watch the Tour Sunday – just drive?’ is closed to new replies.