Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • I Want to Try Cyclocross
  • Duggan

Hi All,

Sorry if there is a ongoing thread for CX- I did search but couldn’t find one?

I bought a second-hand Giant TCX for £500 last week and am thinking about trying cyclocross this Autumn/Winter.

Wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for a newbie? Should I literally just rock-up with my bike and see what happens? I’m 40 😯 and never really raced before other than I did Sleepless in the Saddle along with a XC race once quite a few years ago.

I’m based in Manchester if it makes any difference. I thought about spectating a race first but then if I’m going to drive an hour to get there…

I have a feeling you don’t have to be affiliated to a club to enter…but I’m not 100% sure?

Naturally this is all predicated on there actually being events to attend. If it’s all rained off due to Covid then I guess the TCX will be on duty for general gravel riding or whatever.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

SNAP OUT OF IT MAN!

Not really, done couple of races in the NW series, it’s good craic, give it a lash.

You don’t need to be affiliated to a club but will need to be BC or pay an on the day fee. Just a couple of quid though.

simondbarnes

Should I literally just rock-up with my bike and see what happens?

Yes

I have a feeling you don’t have to be affiliated to a club to enter

Correct

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mashr

CX is an absolutely ****ing stupid game where you spend your time slithering about on machinery that really isn’t up to the job. Then you realise there are 90+ other riders around you in exactly the same boat and suddenly it’s fun 🙂

Apart from folk with spare bikes and/or a pit crew though – hate them

mick_r

NWCCA is the local league and very friendly. Plenty of NW 40-50 vets lurking on here. Just be aware it is probably the biggest class and the front guys are rather quick. But you’ll always end up with a little group to race with no matter what speed you are.

If you like it invest in some spiky mud tyres – we rarely seem to need anything else.

Duggan

OK, that’s a good start, thank you 🤣

I assume it will be similar to XC racing where I will need to make way for faster riders coming through behind me on the course?

I still need to purchase pedals and shoes but sure Google will help me there (I only road ride these days)

mick_r

You might but people are generally polite and races short enough that you’ll not get caught or it only happens near the end – when you are sometimes glad to be doing one lap less 🙂

mashr

I assume it will be similar to XC racing where I will need to make way for faster riders coming through behind me on the course?

Kinda, i lot of places are taped pretty wide, less singletrack than you’d expect to see at XC

I still need to purchase pedals and shoes but sure Google will help me there (I only road ride these days)

I use Crank Bros, great for mud clearance, terrible for actually being able to put up with the elements. Shimano are a good starting point, reliable but mud clearance isn’t as good. Time possible the best of both world’s, but sadly not as bullet proof as they once were

stanfree
    Free Member

I did about 6 races 5 years ago when I had a cx bike. I was 3 rd last in the first race and got 25th in the open race so you will judge I was fairly cack. A couple of years back my mate got back into it so I did a local race , I only wanted to beat my mate tbh. I didn’t take the getting a decent position seriously so was a couple of riders behind him. I finished 2 places behind him and 47 seconds so this tells you try and get a decent start position. If you rock up last as its your first race and you feel a bit shy chances are you will finish in the bottom 10. It
    I found it a friendly scene with very few arseholes , the whole 50 minutes plus the bell is so physically hard its just a buzz to get through It.
    I turn 50 next week so if my local race is on I’ll do it just to prove Im still reasonably fit. Give It a Go , whats the worst that can happen. ?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I assume it will be similar to XC racing

Nah, CX makes XC look sensible 🤣🤣 it’s a bloody stupid sport and is far harder than it needs to be, but actually rather a lot of fun.

As @mick_r said the NWCCA is the place to be, Vets is a bloody huge field with some stupidly fast locals and regional interlopers around Nationals time.

Pedals wise just use Shimano, XT or XTR as the spindle bit on the body is narrower than the lesser models, forget about all forms of mechanical sympathy when it gets muddy and just smash your feet on them until they clip in 👌🏼

mick_r

Or use Time and never clog 🙂

You heard any rumours how it will work this year Steve? Like old days or all online sign-on?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Check that your local league hasn’t gone to online entry (NDCXL is online only for example)

Take some pressure out of your tyres, especially if it’s wet. Always seem to see newcomers sticking 40psi in and wondering why they can’t stay upright 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

You heard any rumours how it will work this year Steve? Like old days or all online sign-on?

I haven’t yet, but I can do some digging as I know someone who knows someone 😉

13thfloormonk

Time pedals ARE great for racing but flimsy as hell otherwise, have two knackered sets in garage now waiting to send back to Merlin ☹

Keep a very close eye on the wee pins that hold the spring/retention bar in place, ideally even try and glue them in place or something as they’ll randomly drift out mid-ride and once they come out once they’ll keep doing it again…

Duggan

Brilliant, thanks for the responses everyone! It sounds great tbf so think I’m up for it. I’ve been training 3/4 times a week over Summer for no particular reason really so it would be cool to have something to aim for (though I’m still not especially fast).

Once last question- do the local races have much in the way of obstacles? In terms of when to dismount/run I suppose this will just become obvious as I go? Or when I physically can’t pedal anymore? 😅

steve_b77
    Free Member

Barriers / hurdles are common, hills / slopes you can’t ride up once it get muddy and in some cases flat sections that are quicker to run.

Duggan

Nice one, thanks all

Garry_Lager

The boards and stuff like running with the bike on your shoulder seems like it should be a big deal because it’s unique to the discipline. But when you’re starting out it’s not important really – just do it in a common sense way as quick as you can and you will be absolutely fine.

Getting smooth at that stuff is like the finishing touches, but something like cornering is much more important and fundamental as you might be doing that 30 times a lap and it’s a distinct skill – nothing like railing round a corner on a road bike, for example.

MrPottatoHead

I had a brief foray into cx a few years back. Heart rate went up to max straight off the line and never really came down for 45mins. Sprint brake, sprint break and repeat. Totally knackered but a whole heap of fun.

My goal by the end of the season was just to try not to get lapped by leaders-never managed it! Might have to give it another bash if family life allows.

mick_r

The cx shots in this album probably gives a good overview of the NWCCA races. You may notice a pattern involving seas of mud and lying on the floor 🙂

When the calendar comes out and you are wondering what different venues are like, have a trawl through Ellen Isherwood or Chris Meads photos to get an idea. Clicky below.

DSC_1068.jpg

rusty90
    Free Member

Very, very hard work, but great fun. The 10 people at the front take it seriously, everybody else, well …
    Chicken

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘I Want to Try Cyclocross’ is closed to new replies.