Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I want to buy some new ice skates
  • schmiken

…where’s best? I used to play hockey when I was younger (a full 20 years ago!) and always used Bauer’s but I’ve grown a fair bit since then. I took the eldest daughter (now aged 3) on Saturday, loved it and now want to get back into it, but the hire skates are rubbish.

I’ve seen the CCM Tacks which look ok, any other recommendations of skates or where to buy from?

binners

Can’t help you with where to get them from, as mine are of the wheeled variant, but surely it HAS to be Bauer’s!

I did the same as you, last year. After not skating for 20 years, I took my girls (9 and 12) skating, we all absolutely loved it, so i’ve treated myself to a set of Bauer Nexus (playmaker convention by Oli’s skate shape, ACS 651 wide hangers and Sims Street Snakes). They’re bloody brilliant!!! And we’re now going every week

Do it! You know it makes sense!! 😀

binners

Just had a look and Oli’s do Bauer Ice skates too

😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

IME it’ll be a case of trying some on & see what’s most comfy. Bauer, CCM & Nike & Reebok all do skates.
    I’ve still got my battered & bruised Bauer 90’s!

‘CCM Tacks’. My uncle played for GB against The USA at Brighton in the 50’s-early 60’s. ‘Tacks’ were originally named ‘CCM Tackaberry Prolites’ 8)

Here’s me, front row, 2nd from the right with my 90’s

SaxonRider

I use goalie skates, so this may not help you much, but I am currently using Graf and find them amazingly good. They are so comfortable it is unbelievable.

And over the course of my life, I have used Bauer (my favourite… long before they were owned by Nike), and CCM (all in the goalie variety).

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not fancy a nice pair of Jackson Mystique’s?

SaxonRider

Sorry, I was too late to edit, but GRAF Skates.

markoc1984

I also used to play Ice/Roller Hockey until I left Uni, I got a new pair of ice skates off ebay for about £10 a couple of years ago. They were Bauer and I don’t think they had actually been used, they definitely had never been sharpened. I was gobsmacked when I first picked them up as they were soooo light compared to when I had last bought a pair of skates. Try ebay and narrow down the search area so they are local if you want to try them on.

binners

You must have got lucky there. Classic Bauer’s, like Turbos and 90’s, have now entered the same price bonkersness as classic original old school BMXs

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

I’ve generally preferred Bauer ice skates to others that i’ve tried. Rebook and CCM have a different blade mounting style

Am gonna be selling my old pair of size 7EE Nexus 6000 at some point when i get round to listing them on either the Hockeygear facebook page or on eBay.
    (i tried some 7.5EE Nexus skates that just fitted far better and bought those, having previously started on Vapour X600)

Best thing to do is try them on: most ice rinks have a shop attached – tho they’ll mostly stock the Bauer Vapours, as they are the most popular: they just dont fit my foot shape being very narrow (even in the Extra Wide EE fitting), but the Supreme’s is a little wider, the Nexus has the widest footbed, but fits a little shorter than the vapour – so where i was a 7EE in the Vapour, I’m more comfortable in the 7.5EE Nexus.

if you can skate already – then look at the skates 1 or 2 levels up form the base model – the base models flex a lot to be more forgiving to beginner skaters… me being carrying a party barrel, they were just too soft shelled.

1981miked
    Free Member

I would definitely recommend going to your nearest shop and trying them on. I always used to buy Bauer skates, had a nice pair of Composite 5000’s for years.

When I came to replace them I couldn’t get in with the width of the Bauer skates. I ended up buying Reebok 20k’s with the pump extra ankle support. I was amazed how light they were and so comfy. Got them heat moulded aswell so no feet were ripped to shreds. I got 3 seasons out of them playing up to 3 times a week.

I ordered the same size and width in the 50k’s and tried them on.. hated them and ended up buying CCM supertacks.. and as an added bonus I found the junior size 5.5 fitted best. Got them heat moulded aswell and they are superb. Super light and very stiff so plenty support when I’m skinning defencemen down the boards..

So basically try loads on and see what you like. I tried Graf skates aswell but felt like there was too much weight on my heels, I prefer to have the weight on the balls of my feet and get the blade profiled to suit.

martymac

Bauer ccm and graf are the big players these days.
    Bauer make three lines each with their own different footbeds, nigh on impossible to guess what you will find most comfortable.
    You need to try them on.
    You know they are all heat moldable now don’t you?

Russell96

I used to be into CCM Tacks and then Ultra Tacks, I then discovered Daoust and when I couldn’t get the 501’s anymore moved to Micron Mega 1090’s with the Power Clips which have been my annual visit to the rink skates for about the last 20 years, so god know what they are worth with the TUUK blades in them hardly worn as I have always used a really shallow grind on them.

tpbiker
    Free Member

You must have got lucky there. Classic Bauer’s, like Turbos and 90’s, have now entered the same price bonkersness as classic original old school BMXs

Interesting..I think I have a pair of old turbo’s at my mums…

bensongd
    Free Member

My old Turbos were brought of retirement (wheeled variety) a couple of years ago, the plastic just kept splitting. replaced them with a pair of vapours off e-bay that were ice skates.

Missions are popular with the in-line peeps but not sure if they’re also an ice skate. Second hand seems the way to go, my vapours were unused ad £23 inc postage.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I want to buy some new ice skates’ is closed to new replies.