• This topic has 60 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by zomg.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • I want to buy a 944
  • Milkie
    Free Member

Buy it, if you can put the engine in the campervan. When you've had enough of the Porsche, stick the engine in the campervan!

PePPeR

I do happen to know of a 944 sitting doing nothing, in the Oxfordshire area.

I reckon you'd be able to pick it up for around £600 or so.

tankslapper
    Free Member

unbelievable….lesson is marry an engineer…….a female engineer obviously………..

Right I'm off to bed with horrid images of waking up beside Fred Dibnah….

petrieboy

912 – mmmm want!!

Nico
    Free Member

There was a 912 parked in my road a few years ago. I'd never heard of one so I googled it. Steel wheels and definitely betraying its beetle origins. I'd rather have one of those flat Porsche/VWs with the collapso rear suspension.

richardk
    Free Member

Buy it with your eyes open. Get someone who knows the cars (nots just cars, but specifically Porsches) to pre-inspect it. They're cheaper than 911s of the same age (because they aren't as desirable) but people can use that to hide some right howlers.

And accept that it will be when it goes wrong (not if) and when it breaks down (not if). And that it will be more expensive than bog-standard cars when it does go wrong.

Still a Porsche though 😀

DickBarton

I'd rather have the Nissan 300ZX that was on Top Gear…

richardk
    Free Member

The Datsun?

jfeb
    Free Member

I can't believe anyone is actually that interested in a 912. Do you guys actually know what they are? I can see no good reason to own one over an early 911. Slower, about as expensive to run and "not a 911".

smiffy

I can't believe anyone is actually that interested in a 912. Do you guys actually know what they are? I can see no good reason to own one over an early 911. Slower, about as expensive to run and "not a 911".

I know exactly what it is, basically a low-spec narrow bodied 911 with the 4 cylinder from the 356, about 100hp. not a lot slower due to lighter weight and actually has better weight distribution due to the shorter engine. The plain unfussy finish and steel wheels give it a nice retro look, it appears older than it is due to older 356 and VW bits here and there. If you're not determined to keep it 100% original there's plenty of options for grunty boxers around these days. I like them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

about half the price too.

zomg

I've started foolishly looking into getting a 944 as well and a search on the forum found me this thread. Do you guys with experience of 924s and 944s know if one'll take a couple of bikes plus gear in the back with the rear seats down?

NZCol

and update on mine – my 3 day test drive proved that I need an rs4 avant instead….

Del

LOL!
    in gear acceleration not a million miles off so why the hell not?
    good work!

eep

While an rs4 avant is infinitely practical it will bankrupt you just as quickly as a 911. It was my choice (I couldn't get the mrs to agree to a 911) and its going to ruin me.

At least I'll go with a smile though.

epicyclo

…but how many muddy bikes can you get in a Porsche?

That is the real index of the value of a car. Therefore Transit = best, MPV = good, Roller = not bad, Volvo = ok, Porsche = pants.

Simple really.

NZCol

At least I'll go with a smile though.

Nice, my thoughts exactly…

walleater

I used to be able to fit two bikes, camping gear, beer etc and a passenger in the back of my old hairdressers Porsche 924.

tankslapper
    Free Member

I now think I want one of these since seeing it on TG

tankslapper
    Free Member

zomg

I used to be able to fit two bikes, camping gear, beer etc and a passenger in the back of my old hairdressers Porsche 924.

awesome! thanks, all i needed to know 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘I want to buy a 944’ is closed to new replies.