Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • I want some new shoes, handmade
  • lunge

Afternoon,

I want to buy a “nice” pair of shoes to wear initially on my wedding day but also as a posh pair thereafter.

I would like a proper pair of English, handmade shoes and so don’t mind throwing a bit of money at the problem! They will need to be a classic shape but no to boring.

Can anyone suggest which manufacturers to aim at or avoid?

BillMC

Church’s, Crockett and Jones, Cheaney or if you want to go mad, John Lobb. All of them have factory shops in and around Northampton if you want to pay a bit less.

drlex
    Free Member

Also Grenson, Trickers, and if you live near Oxford, Ducker and Sons in the Turl.

(I would also give an honourable mention to Oliver Sweeney, but all his shoes are now sourced from an Italian factory).

allthepies
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Proper artisan shoe…..a contemporary design ethos

*Voms*

🙂

A different Ducker. Not using the most recent buzz-words to make themselves sound better. 🙂 Oh, and as far as I know, the real Duckers have never spammed a bike forum. They do make lovely shoes, though.

http://www.duckerandson.co.uk/

ourmaninthenorth

all the above shoes are fine English welted shoes but they are not handmade

For the price of a pair of Lobb shoes, I’d expect them to be woven silken gold..!

All the names mentioned are fantastic, and highly recommended.

I’m heavy on my shoes (I don’t rotate them enough). so, I’m now reviving some tired Loakes and Barkers to see me through another few years.

EDIT: headmaster at my prep school wore Duckers. But then he fancied the young girls there, so be careful what you’re buying into..!

damo2576
    Free Member
    aa
    Free Member

how about,

i reckon you could get your wedding date put on them

http://www.rocket7.com/shoes.htm

not handmade in england though, but the usa

ourmaninthenorth

Grenson

Not what they once were now that much of their manufacturing has been moved to India.

Their brogue look is, however, v fashionable these days.

drlex
    Free Member

CFH,
    Also very long-lasting if treated well – I still have the three pairs that I bought in the Eighties.
    I doubt that any bookmaker truly makes anything entirely by hand other than a last.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DrLex, I got my first pair in the eighties as well, and still going very strong. Might be treating myself to a new pair of something from them sometime soon.

quarryman77
    Free Member

Bought some boots made by rm williams a couple of years back. Best shoes I have ever bought bar none. Australian though…..lifetime repair warranty.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m heavy on my shoes (I don’t rotate them enough)

I can’t rotate mine at all, they are stuck fast no matter how much I loosen the laces !!

kayak23

Ok, so not English, but a lovely video of a handmade shoe…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE8fhKoRNbU&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

drlex
    Free Member

Quarryman, that’s my favourite boot brand too- currently four pairs on rotation, all five+ years old. Sad to say, I have more footwear than my wife (but fewer handbags)…

quarryman77
    Free Member

Quarryman, that’s my favourite boot brand too- currently four pairs on rotation, all five+ years old. Sad to say, I have more footwear than my wife (but fewer handbags)…

Surprising how many people have never heard of them. Bulletproof and a bit different. Pricey mind!

Klunk
    Free Member
    Edric64
    Free Member

Does the op want handmade or made to measure ? That would be the way to be really niche .It may only be worth it if you have huge feet like me (14 s )and struggle to find shoes to fit

lunge

Handmade ideally, made to measure is a little above my means.

finbar
    Free Member

Grenson

Not what they once were now that much of their manufacturing has been moved to India.

Their brogue look is, however, v fashionable these days.

I’d steer clear. I bought a pair of Oxfords from Grenson about two years ago, and i wish i hadn’t. They’ve not worn very well at all.

MrSmith
    Free Member
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘I want some new shoes, handmade’ is closed to new replies.