Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • i wake up with numb hands…
  • MrKmkII
    Free Member

…during the night, mostly it's the two smaller fingers on both hands (though not necessarily both hands at the same time). does anyone else get this? i wonder if it happened when i started cycling more – about a year and a half ago i started commuting most days (between 40mins and 1.5hrs), though my commute now is only about 5mins cycle each way, but the numbness still happens. i'm mostly riding a rigid kona…

please bestow upon me your wisdom!

fontmoss
    Free Member

trapped ulnar nerve? sleep on your front or with your elbows in an unusual position?

the sensory pattern you described is an ulnar nerve one (if stroke side on ring finger closest to your thumb when it happens itll prob feel normal), your hand has gone to sleep and normally this is because you're lying on it or have squashed it at the elbow where its more exposed

MrKmkII
    Free Member

funny thing is – i always thought it was from lying awkwardly but i'm now fairly sure it also happens when i lie on my back, with my arms either at my side or loosely crossed over, or if i lie on my side, it's just as likely to be the arm that's on top as the one the one i'm lying on

as a side note – i used to get ulnar nerve pain (outside edge of palms) during cycling when i had narrow bars but wide bars stopped this pain occuring (been back on wide for 2.5yrs)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fontmoss
    Free Member

lots of positions might tweak the nerve, elbows over extended or i guess flexed? maybe speak to your GP

MrKmkII
    Free Member

ok thanks fontmoss 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I get this a bit. Unconcerned, hopefully not unwisely.

pennine
    Free Member

I suffered with this for a few years but then it began to wake me up 3 or 4 times a night. Diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome & had an operation on my left hand about 5 years ago.

fontmoss
    Free Member

carpal tunnel is normally median nerve, ulnar skips over the top plus the sensory pattern would be dif. unless i guess mrK gets other fingers going numb too

fishboy
    Free Member

Yeah, its probably Cubital TS rather than Carpal if its your pinky and the outside of your ring finger, I've had a bit of bother with it and have to a bit careful how I sleep now – always used to have my hands up around my face to protect myself from my girlfriend ;o)

Anyway, I had 8 or 10 physio apppointments through work which helped a lot so they're a lot better now (my right was rarely any bother). Difficult to pin down exactly where the entrapment occurs though, could be anywhere from the shoulder to the wrist apparently, and without electrically stimulating the nerve to see where the blockage is even more so. I haven't had this done because I can kinda live with it the way it is now as its much better than it was. I just don't lean on my elbow any more, I need to do some weights or something though to build up my arms a bit though, apparently that should help too.

Basically, doesn't necessarily need an operation, go see a decent physio and tell your employer its affecting your work a bit..

Best of luck, Andy.

fishboy
    Free Member

PS At its worst mine felt like I had constantly rattled my funny bone, definitely not funny after a while!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

thanks everybody. seems definitely like a nerve thing then! i've had it a while but not stressed but my girlfriend would like to have her mind put at rest! off to the docs for me 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

Funny you mention this, but I've been getting much the same over the last 6 months or so. Usually the smallest fingers on both hands and doesn't seem to be that I'm lying on them. I can wake up flat on my back with my hands at the sides and yet the fingers are dead.

Odd also that I don't get pins & needles with this. They're just numb for a while and then half an hour or so later they wake up after a bit of movement.

First time I got this, they didn't wake for ages and it freaked me out a bit.

I've got those ergonomic grips for the mtb and they feel comfortable. I checked with all the guides possible that they're at the right angle and I'm sitting correctly with the arms in the right position.

I've just been learning to live with it, but might mention it to the doctor at some point, but it's hassle going to the doctors, especially trying to get one that will listen or care.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Yeah, I get the same thing- often after I've had a tight grip on something for a while (!) I should probably get myself off to the docs too..

Thanks for the reminder…

5thumbs
    Free Member

I used to notice this quite a lot and often when I slept on my back. I put it down to slight pressure being exerted on area around my elbow. A few years on it doesn't happen and hasn't had any lasting effect.

Cubed
    Free Member

I've had both median nerves realeased and both ulnar nerves released – left arm done twice due to scaring. Now glad to say i can hold handlebars again, and i sleep through the night!

Doc should refer you for nerve testing – this isn't definitive – doesn't work on everyone!!

Jellybaby
    Free Member

My boyfried gets numbness and pins and needles in both hands during the night and has to sleep with them off the edge of the bed for comfort. He has put up with this for years. He has Carpal TS and was given option of an operation but his mam had this and it hasn't cured it completely. Apart from being uncomfortable (during some nights) are there any long term effects of NOT having the operation?

MrKmkII
    Free Member

hey jellybaby, long term effects? oh my yes! my dad has carpal tunnel syndrome and his middle tightened to the point where it was permanently clenched even with the other fingers straight. he got it operated on last year…

granny_ring

I used to get this often but I now wear boxing gloves to bed 😀

Seriously though hope you get it sorted

ex-pat
    Free Member

I slept on my front with my arms (angel like) in front and under me.
    Woke up and thought I'd lost my arms as they were completely dead.
    Funny now, but not for a few seconds after I awoke.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I get this regularly; have a trapped nerve in my neck. Believe I have a deformed disc in my neck.

No major issues as long as I don't look up!!

ex-pat
    Free Member

😯 – imagines you looking up and dropping over as you black out…

brant
    Free Member

Getting really sick of bad nights sleep after collarbone break a couple of months ago now. Tip of thumb and tip of first finger very numb and yet sore, all the time. NHS have discharged me. Swimming 35 lengths last night didn't help things either.

Making me even grumpier than usual.

neninja
    Free Member

I get this in my left arm since bashing my elbow and getting bursitis (my elbow filled with fluid like someone had stuck a tennis ball on my elbow).

It seems to have left a lot of hard scar tissue under my elbow and I now get a numb hand on the two smallest fingers. I just live with it now.

Dancake
    Free Member

I was getting this for a period, but it has stopped; dont know why.

I would even get a numb hand just watching a film and leaning on the arm of the chair. It was all very odd

Sorry that doesnt help. Thought it had something to do with my shoulder.

but im not a doctor

Kamikirk
    Free Member

The nerve may be impinged anywhere from the neck itself to the wrist. Dont assume it is Carpal / Cubital tunnel only that can cause numbness or pins and needles.

Brant if your issues came on after a clavicle fracture its quite possible you have Thoracic outlet syndrome not cubital tunnel, same for others that get issues that are unrelated to wrist or elbow position.

Long term effects of trapped nerves vary from healing naturally eventually to permenant loss of that nerves function (be it sensation or motor control).

Thought i'd do my best to answer a few questions raised in the thread.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

nice one kamikirk 🙂 and everyone else. i'm convinced i should see a doc so have an appointment soon. i'll report back later!

pegglet
    Free Member

yeh,check for carpal. if no,def go to the oestopath, kamikirk is poss right. fell on my head type crash a while back and i had the same hand probs at night . bit of upper vertabrae click clack and cured instantly. same for you too brant. lol

skiprat
    Free Member

I had carpal tunnel op 7 weeks ago and although scar is tender, i have full use of hand and fingers. Mine would have pins and needles in the thumb and next two fingers and i would wake up in the middle of the night.

Now i sleep right through. I know of people who've had it done and it hasn't worked out right but thats the chance you take. Loads of people said get it done rather than having injections, few weeks of pain but worth it in the end.

Go to the docs and get refered for nerve conduction studies at hospital. That should give you a good idea what it is. As its your little fingers, i doubt it'll be carpal.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

just back from the docs, she thinks it is to do with the ulnar or median nerve. booked in for physio as she suspects there may be an issue with my neck; if that doesn't work then it'll be nerve conduction stuff. hope the physio sorts it – don't like operations!

alpin
    Free Member

sleepwanking?

BigJohn

My 2 outside fingers used to get white and numb. I put it down to the hard ends of my grips because it really started when I started singlespeeding – much more standing up and pressing down on my hands.

I got Ergon grips and it stopped.

brant
    Free Member

>Brant if your issues came on after a clavicle fracture its quite
    >possible you have Thoracic outlet syndrome

thanks – have googled that and now doing exercises. STW is more use than my doctor (though he did give me some ace drugs)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘i wake up with numb hands…’ is closed to new replies.