- I think my dogs had it
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Our Ridgeback Lily was PTS due to organ failure at the age of 13 in October 14th 2011, was a tough thing to do but it was best for her so she did not suffer.
We took on a rescue dog Katie a JRT in December 2011 after her owner died, not as a replacement but company for my Mum and Dad. Dad passed away at the end of April so it was a good thing we took Katie on as she has been good company for her.
Will get easier with time.
All the best
PhilPosted 4 years agojamj1974Subscriber
Truly sorry for you OP. Toby looked beautiful in your picture and I can only imagine he pleasure he gave you every day. I don’t have any words that will make you feel better bit he sounds like he has had a great life with you and all dogs need to be happy are owners that love them…
Strange to mention it here but my dad asked for his ashes to come back to our family home when he died – strange because he and my mum had been divorced nineteen years. It turns out that he wanted the ashes of our dog scattered at the same time as his and she died nearly 16 years ago… It’s a funny thing how these creatures make us feel and what they mean to us eh…Posted 4 years agooink1Subscriber
As has been said, my condolences oldgit, sad times indeed. He looks so much like our old dog ‘Flush’ (Mum named him!). When i used to sit at the bottom of the stairs to put my shoes on he’d manage to squeeze himself onto the bottom stair underneath your legs which he still did to the end, although by that time he’d only get one back/front leg on – the other two on the floor propping him up! He ate a CD of mine, a pair of DM steel toecaps (not completely), a headphone cable and one morning sauntered into my bedroom to say hi, looked at me, p155ed on the floor then spun round and left. Always there at the back door when I came home at stupid o’clock pleased to see me with his tail wagging. He was my friend because he wanted to be, not for what he could get from me (Except biscuits, bones, squeaky toys etc.) RIP Toby – gone but I’m sure never forgotten.Posted 4 years agojamj1974Subscriber
Friendship, loyalty and devotion in one package = dog. I say this with the cat on my lap although TBH he thinks he’s a dog.
Hardest thing about having a beloved pet is when you have to face losing them. Take heart OP – so many here know what you are going through and are thinking of you.Posted 4 years agodonksMember
Good dogs springers.. Sorry to hear.Posted 4 years ago
We had to let our 16 year old westie go about 6 weeks back. He was still getting about..just but quality of life was just not there. Vet was brilliant and in total agreement with the situation. No dogs now 😥 but still have 2 kittens a rabbit and a snake so it’s still chaos.chewkwMember
oldgit – Member
Toby passed in his sleep this morning.
Sorry to hear that. You have taken the right decision not to put him down by the vet.
We have 3 of our dogs died in February this year within 3 weeks of each other and we love them all dearly. They were at my parents home in the far east. One was died age 16 with cancerous tumor, one died age 10 suddenly that we suspected foul play and the other one died age 8 due to long term illness(genetic). None could be saved or cured by the vet but we would never put down our own pets even if it meant having to look after them long term until they died naturally. They all died in their sleep.
However, we now have two other dogs to replace them. Both strays that my parents saved. One a mongrel and the other a “toy” dog someone ditched. Both are healthy and we love them as usual.
We have many dogs in our lives and one of our oldest dog died aged 18 half blind and deaf but could still recognised my parents until last minute. My parents were beside it when he died and same with two of our dobermans. We suspected foul play for one (age 6) but the other a retired guard dog (age 14) died of old age. My parents comforted both until their last minute.
Same with our cats but after our last two my parents decided not have cats anymore.
I missed all of them.Posted 4 years agoeskayMember
Really sad to hear the news mate. The only thing you can take from it is that he passed away at home and in his sleep, you did not have to go through putting him down.
I have been through that once and it is awful. The time is approaching again soon as I have two 14 year old dogs (sisters from the same litter who have always got on!). The kids have grown up with them so it will make it even harder.
As with you, we have had so much joy with them over the years and they leave a massive hole. I think I may have a break from dogs for a while after these two (but I said that last time….).
Great photo by the way of your old boy.Posted 4 years ago
The topic ‘I think my dogs had it’ is closed to new replies.