Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • I think MTB saved me from an injury & what you don't want to happen at 70kmph!
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Riding to work – doing about 70 kmp/h on my 125cc scooter hog when the rear slid out first one way then then next. I nearly high-sided but got my weight low enough for the back to slide and not regain traction suddenly.

I came to a stop nearly 90 deg to the direction I should have been, expecting to see the tyre off the rim but no, a little more serious than that!

I’m no roost-kicker or KOM-owner on my pedal bike but I guess after a couple of decades there is some muscle memory there which saved me from road rash and bumps and bruises at best this morning.

Finally after losing me teeth, broken fingers, broken knees, cracked elbows, fractured arms, concussions and dislocating shoulders, hours of riding saved me a trip to A&E.

Any one else ever found their riding ability’s help them elsewhere?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Needs more duct tape.

martinhutch

I found myself trying to lower my bodyweight and pop off the lip of a speed bump the other day. In the car.

wwaswas

[failure diagnosis mode]

Have those grey streaks going outwards from some of the failure point been there for a while? It may have been trying to tell you something!

[/failure diagnosis mode]

Glad you were ok 🙂

matt_outandabout

Oooft, that could have been fun.

I know commuting over the years that my MTb skillz have save a few slides on wet tram rails, hoofing on brakes and avoiding collisions a couple of times and being able to hop onto kerb to avoid issues have ‘saved’ me.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member
    I found myself trying to lower my bodyweight and pop off the lip of a speed bump the other day. In the car.

yep… i often do that too. i also tried bunny hopping a spin bike at the gym once… i just got stared at 😳

shuhockey
    Free Member

I’ve put my arm out to indicate left while driving the car before….

midlifecrashes

Go buy your lottery tickets.

[Thread needs pic from picolax thread holding toilet rolls.]

twisty

Any one else ever found their riding ability’s help them elsewhere?

I found that I didn’t tire like other people when we were doing go-karting I guess it uses similar muscles to MTBiking.
    Also did pretty well on a Bucking Bronco machine.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good news you are ok. I hope the mtb is better maintained.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Go buy your lottery tickets.

Yeah… I think luck may have more to do with ninja skills. Wheels falling off isn’t usually part of the skillset.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

@midlifecrashes – you realise that picture was me. Yes, I was straight to brown alert.

@Jamb. I hope it is although the motorbike’s well maintained too. I don’t see how anything other than X-rays would have seen that was going to happen. There weren’t any external signs of a wheel about to explode.

@5th – How very dare you! Definitely ninja skills! 😀

craigxxl
    Free Member

Maybe some bike maintenance skills would have been more valuable.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Maybe some bike maintenance skills would have been more valuable.

What could / should I have looked out for? There was nothing visible around where the bolt went through the hub. Should my checks have gone further?

RustySpanner

Skillz!
    🙂

What model of mechanical laxative IS that?

scruff9252

Are you sure it’s not a sticker?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Looking at the state of the rims it’s been bashed against kerbs plenty of times. The fractures in the hub would have been there long before it gave out. The rear brake looks like it hasn’t worked for a while either with the build of rust inside the drum braking surface. I’d imagine the bearings would be shot too.

mrchrispy

Not on a bike but I swear my love of outrun saved my ass when I got my dads car sideways once

Rockape63
    Free Member

I think you need a new bike! 😐

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Craig. The rims are fine. Mild rust spots but no flat spots and perfectly true. Brake – yep, got me there. It stopped working 2 weeks ago. Rear bearings – no idea.

Just bought a Euro Millions ticket for the next draw!

deadkenny
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member 

I speed up towards hump back bridges in the car to try to get a mm or two of air 😀 (not blind ones of course).

Xylene
    Free Member

That is what happens when you ride a twist and go

ulysse
    Free Member

makecoldplayhistory – Member

Should my checks have gone further?

Yeah, die penatration and mag partical tests at the very least

gonzy
    Free Member

Needs more duct tape.

and a few zip ties

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The peril of the Lefty!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘I think MTB saved me from an injury & what you don't want to happen at 70kmph!’ is closed to new replies.