Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,758 total)
  • I think I'm about to be diagnosed with cancer, and I'm fairly scared.
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

Thinking about you and yours big man

Feel the love brother

tankslapper
    Free Member

Best wishes big man

Feel the STW love

TS

Cubed
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that man. Modern science is samazing these days. You gotta hope for the best – hope all goes well.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Very best wishes. As said above, at least you know what's causing your problems which has gotta be halfway to beating them – take care and stay strong.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Like most others, I can't give advice but can only send my best wishes and hope for the best for you.

bullheart
    Free Member

Good Morning!

Last night was a lonely and difficult night at the hospital. I didn't manage to sleep much, and the ward sister was kind enough to let my day release start at 7.00am. So I walked out of the hospital and down into Tunbridge Wells, which was very still and serene. The sunrise this morning was amazing. Meg then picked me up at the train station, and an unusual feeling of calm has taken over us both. Bear with me…

Firstly, it's important for me to let all of you know how significant your responses have been for both Megan and myself. I initially posted on here with the hope that folks could offer advice and knowledge on how to deal with the situation we're both going through. What I didn't expect is the sheer volume of supporting posts from all of you. I am a hard, pragmatic and difficult man to move, yet I have cried a fair bit when reading your lovely posts. I feel very privileged to have been the focus of so many positive comments, so thank you.

For those of you that have had cancer, and have beaten it, thank you. Yours are the tales that I need to get through this, and asking people to share what are sometimes very difficult and painful memories is asking a fair bit, but you all have provided me with really good things to focus on.

Those that have shared their experiences of 'being the other half' in the relationship have given us a unique and vital insight into the way this kind of problem is dealt with. This has been really important for both of us – all I've felt since Friday is guilt; like I've let my Megan and family down by getting ill and putting them under undue pressure. I realise that this is stupid and irrational but I'm not too sure that anything is rational at the moment! We will definitely be in contact with those of you that have kindly offered to correspond with us during this time.

Oh and one other thing.

Meg, who is at best 'sceptical' about the concept of a STW forum, actually checked this thread last night when I was in hospital. Result!!!
    More later,

Mark

gazman
    Free Member

best of luck mate and hang on in there, gaz

ollie
    Free Member

Like everybody else I want to wish you all the best, I hope you make a full and speedy recovery.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

All the best Mark, tough times ahead stay strong.

mashiehood
    Free Member

stay positive and strong – use family and friends as pillars of support to get you through the tough times. hopefully you will get the best of care from our national health service. take care.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Hope whatever it turns out to be gets sorted. The only thing I can say is to keep positive at all times, my Mum had a whole load of treatments for the big C last year/year before and is back to her old self again now. I think keeping positive was a huge help to her – she just didn't seem to dwell on it.

Get well soon 🙂

bigsi
    Free Member

I think it has all been said by others so i just wanted to wish you both good luck.

Raindog
    Free Member

I don't post on here much anymore but there are times when it's necessary – all I can offer is my best wishes I'm afraid, as others have said try to stay positive.

crazy-legs

Nothing here that I can add to what's been said other than best of luck to you both.

Meg, who is at best 'sceptical' about the concept of a STW forum, actually checked this thread last night when I was in hospital. Result!!!

Get past the cliques, the sniping and the in-jokes and we're a caring bunch really!
    All the best.

allthepies
    Free Member

Can't add much to the messages previously posted but my best wishes to you both for the times ahead.

Drac

Good to hear from you and nice to hear the fantastic and supportive post on here have helped you and Meg. Keep your spirits high and no this is no ones fault but life it really does deal some cruel cards at times, the heart ache I see people go through at work can be emotionally. People react in different ways but good to see you one the positive approach. Nice to see the hospital staff being human too and not job worths. Best of luck again.

Lee

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Best of luck for tomorrow.

CHB

Mark, your post crystalises those fears that anyone touched by cancer will always harbour.
    I am lucky to have an extended family that is reasonably healthy, but 15 years ago my brother had bowel cancer and it changed how I view health. I now take very little for granted and appreciate life more as a result.
    Sincerely hope for the best possible diagnosis and outcome for you.
    All the best.

GasmanJim
    Free Member

It's worth bearing in mind that this could be caused by many other (non-terminal) conditions apart from cancer, such as infection or autoimmune diseases. Fingers crossed.

fizzer
    Free Member

Here's hoping all goes well tomorrow

I'll be thinking of you both

JonM
    Free Member

Fingers crossed from me also. It may well be something other than cancer but if it is try and stay as positive as possible. A lot of Cancers are very treatable these days and the treatments are not as harsh as they used to be. I was diagnosed with cancer last October and am pretty sure I am free of it now (subject to a final scan in September). I was treated with a combination af radio and chemotherapy. My advice is, as others have said, to always have someone with you and/or a notebook during consultations because it's so easy to forget what has been said. Take things one step at a time and make sure you find as much information about your condition as possible. The Lance Armstrong approach is a good one.
    Wishing you all the very best luck.
    Jonathan

sv

All the best to you, Meg and the family circle. You are in my prayers.

RichPenny
    Free Member

all I've felt since Friday is guilt; like I've let my Megan and family down by getting ill and putting them under undue pressure. I realise that this is stupid and irrational but I'm not too sure that anything is rational at the moment!

I think thats very normal, though it is obviously irrational (but not stupid). I know it's what my dad did when he was waiting for results, to the extent of not telling my brother at all. He said talking it all through with me and being honest about what he felt was a big help. His tests for bowel cancer were negative, hoping that yours are as well.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Hope you're both doing ok today.

thinking of you. xx

richc
    Free Member

Best of luck, and as others have said if its caught early the odds are so much better, and you have to remember that being diagnosed with cancer doesn't mean that that's it, people do recover and live long happy lives.

Also another thing to bear in mind in most hospitals visiting hours aren't set in stone, so if you speak to the ward sister you will find that if you need someone to come in at anytime they can, so you don't have to sit up all night on your own.

woodsman
    Free Member

All the very best for a good recovery – keep positive, both of you.

Pete aka Woodsman

firestarter
    Free Member

all the best fella hope it turns out ok, my dad recently was told he had mesothelioma and after chest drain , surgery and tests altho he has asbestos on both lungs , plural effusion, plural thickening and plural placs its all benign so was a great shock but a good one.

goes to show that even the docs first diagnosis can be wrong there is always hope. and if worse thing happens stay strong and fight it. my aunt and two lads from my shift have had different forms of cancer and are all sorted now

good luck and best wishes to you and yours
    mick

Bedds
    Free Member

Tough news dude..

My mum had an aggressive form of breast cancer, she stayed strong for us, but I heard her cyring when she didn't think I was there.. it broke my heart every time. Be honest with your family and support each other through whatever the future holds

Whatever the diagnosis, stare it down, give it hell and we'll see you on the trails soon

Keep strong in mind mate

Taz

Nothing more to add other than my very best wishes and thoughts also.

Very best of luck

Taz

toxicsoks
    Free Member

The very best of wishes.
    Until last Thurs I, too, had not had any experience of cancer but then me dear old Mum was diagnosed with bowel cancer – she goes under the knife this Thurs – the numbness is overwhelming but reading this thread has been very calming/soothing/whatever. Hope things pan out positively for you.

richc
    Free Member

toxicsoks, just incase you don't know if bowel cancer has been detected early the survival rates are very good (over 90%).

mcboo
    Free Member

All the best from me too fella.

toxicsoks my mother had the same 5yrs years ago, surgery and a bit of chemo and she beat it. NHS Scotland tried to put her on a 6 week waiting list until we cracked the whip, sent angry letters to everyone we could think of, they operated the very next week. Sounds like your mum is getting well looked after, good luck to you and her too.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

As a NHS, er, professional, I'm well aware of the survival rates, disease processes and treatments. I see patients on a daily basis with haematological (blood) cancers and I thought I was 'immune' to the blind panic/horror of it all………………….but when it happens to you or someone close…………..well, it's a a totally different ball game.
    Thanks for your good wishes and let's all support Mark in whatever way we can.

takisawa2

Blimey. Not caught this thread yet but it has certainly put a sock in my whinging gob for the day…
    Seriously though, wishing you nothing but the most supportive of vibes from the takisawa family mate.
    Not going to dwell on the big C fears, suffice to say its rampaged its way through my family so you are truly in our thoughts mate.
    ATB
    PT

project
    Free Member

Best wishes to Toxicsoks mum and her family as well.

Ive also wished Mark the best earlier on

pcb
    Free Member

Hey,

Sending healing vibes your way.

Stay strong, best wishes and good luck from the PCB family.

The-Beard

I have nothing to add that has not already been said. Hope all goes well.

creaser
    Free Member

godd luck to you and your family.Martin

shinsplints

You've no idea how inspiring your attitude is.Like others I can't offer advice or experience but want to wish you all the best,your attitude is already in place & I think this will stand you & your family in good stead come what may.All the very best,
    Simon.

squin
    Free Member

Mark & Meg,

I've never been where you are as such, but 4 years ago my Son (Bruno) was diagnosed with Leukaemia when he was nearly 3. Worst day of my life. There is still a little part of me which is still numb from that day, however, that being the worst day means that every day since has been better.

He was very ill at the time of diagnosis, but the shortened version is that he finished his treatment last November and in 3 weeks time he turns 7. He (we) came through it and life is back on track.

I hope that your news isn't the news that you fear, but if it helps, the things that we felt we were able to contribute to the fight were staying positive and trying to be as 'normal' as possible, and feeding him the healthiest food possible.

The feeling of helplessness and lack of control is the resounding memory from the period, but we're the lucky ones.

That's the thing to remember, bad news is only bad news because good news exists and bad luck can only be suggested because good luck persists.

Even in the time that Bru was receiving treatment, the treatment protocol changed to the extent that the treatment is very different today to that of 4 years ago. Treatment for Cancers get better every day and they are brilliant.

Keep positive in the knowledge that you have the collective positive thought of STW with you too.

Positive thoughts and wishes,

Stu.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,758 total)

The topic ‘I think I'm about to be diagnosed with cancer, and I'm fairly scared.’ is closed to new replies.