Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,758 total)
  • I think I'm about to be diagnosed with cancer, and I'm fairly scared.
  • shands
    Free Member

I think the wedding gift idea is a bloody good idea. Who's going to organise it then!

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Not me, I am crap at organising stuff, good idea though.

Paceman
    Free Member

Great idea, i'm in.

grazedknees
    Free Member

Me too, I was thinking about it last night and Im really glad someone suggested it.

grazedknees
    Free Member

Just think what an ace present you could get if every one who has felt moved or inspired by Mark and Meg bought them a celebratory 'virtual beer' for their Wedding.

Could it be done through paypal?

willard

It should be possible. With the internet you can do anything!

I'm in for that by the way…

Mark, chin up. It sucks being away from the people you love during treatment, but they are still there for you. Good choicer of date for the wedding… Halloween themed?

bullheart
    Free Member

We are flattered that some of you would consider investing in a wedding present for Meg and I. In the nicest possible way I'd like to discourage the idea (and it is a lovely idea…) for the simple reason that I feel there are other individuals more deserving of a gift than the pair of us. I'm getting a wife, and Meg an sick meathead, which is all either of us had ever wanted (!).

However….

For those of you that insist on giving a gift, please think about making a donation to Trudi (TN) and Julians Yorkshire cycle ride for the Bone Cancer Research Trust. Ultimately any gift you give them will benefit me and everyone else that suffers from cancer. And they're lovely folk as well!

Don't feel obliged though – As far as I'm concerned, all the banter is gift enough!

TN
    Free Member

Oh blimey Mark, that's just choked me up. You really are the most selfless person…
    If anyone does want to take him up on his suggestion, you can donate here:
    JustGiving
    Thanks.

vit-t
    Free Member

Pete

Keep fighting as hard as you can. NEVER give up! When it feels dark just close your eyes and think of you favourite piece of trail and the faces of your loved ones. The blackness will go and you will find yourself one step closer to recovery.

While I did not have cancer, I had a degenerative lung disease; I have been forced to look into that abyss. It is not something I would wish on anyone but I fought back. You WILL be back to full health, and be a stronger person on all fronts for it. The few folk who know what I have been through are amazed at some of the things I now do and find it hard to believe what I have been through but then understand where I get my drive form. It may be a bit cheesy American but LIVESTRONG really is the embodiment of the ethos you have adopted and you will be fine.

I have been following this thread now since you started it and been keeping you in my thoughts.

Keep fighting Pete, never give up and when it is giving you a kicking those are they days when you need to kick it back twice as hard. I will see you in Yorkshire for that pint and we will all celebrate LIFE!

doratheexplorer
    Free Member

Mark and Meg,

Your strength and spirit is truly amazing and incredibly humbling.

I have been away from reading your posts and everybody’s replies due to being stuck on a hard shoulder on the M25 for 2 weeks but reading your updates and everyone’s messages today has left me with a feeling of such humility and a proud member of the cycling fraternity. It has also made a fairly hardy (although female) engineer burst into tears in front of an office of contractors.

Anything I can do (although I am sure that other members of the forum would be more use) I would be more than pleased to help. If you end up travelling up to Manchester for anything and your good lady (and you) fancy a coffee, a natter and a change of scenery I can always pop out of work.

Mark – you are an inspiration and your positivity and outlook is something that I could only ever dream of having.

Oh, massive congratulations on the engagement 🙂

Alphabet

I'd like to add my best wishes to you and Meg. Good luck with everything.

Have a fantastic day on the 31st October.

CHB

Mark and Meg, just given to the bike ride. Its a nice route.
    Don't think this is instead of a wedding gift though! Even stingy Yorkshiremen like meself can be more generous than that.

molgrips
    Free Member

250 riders on one ride. It has to be done folks.

jimmy

Trudi – I'd make that link a bit more obvious if I was you – maybe on a new thread 'Donations for Petegaffs wedding present'. It won't get missed there…

TN
    Free Member

Jimmy (or someone else?) – could you possibly do that as I don't have access to a PC at the mo and I can't do links from my phone, for some reason…

nickhart
    Free Member

sorry i've not been paying attention and i think that someone else mentioned the teachers benevolant fund http://www.divide.org.uk/charitydetail/36/ also don't forget to get your union involved, they can be useful.
    the decision to get married has to be made by the two people who know the most. go for it, love each other and live your life.
    it's really hard, neigh impossible, to be positive all the time. it's much easier to be honest, the people who understand you and love you will understand.
    best wishes.

sor
    Free Member

Thanks for the updates Mark. Just update us when you feel like it, we'll wait patiently.

And of course congratulations on the engagement. I'll raise a glass to you and Meg on the 31st when I toast your life together and your fight back to health. Awrra best!

Diane
    Free Member

Morning Pete
    Just wanted to say next time you have to face one of those proceedures alone and afraid PLEASE keep in your thoughts that all the people on here and all your family and friends are rooting for you. (Imagine we are all crowding in the room shouting 'Go Pete' and that Meg is holding your hand)
    X

clareymorris

Personlly I really dig bald heads 😛

I echo the are girls allowed to the reverse stag – and then does it become a hag (hen and stag) cus then we get to meet Meg too (CHRISt you are going to be piddled!!) 😀

I can't tell you how much I am rooting for you………keep strong x

NZCol

*whispers* personally I think we should buy the obstinate, amazing bastard a new shiny bling as **** bike to get back on once he's recovered from being prised open….

Sandwich

31st october is in my calendar and I'll raise a glass to you on the day. Good luck and congratulations. (What some blokes will do to catch a wife! 😀 )

vit-t
    Free Member

Keep the fight going – today and every day

JoeBones
    Free Member

Hope you are well soon

timdrayton
    Free Member

*whispers* personally I think we should buy the obstinate, amazing bastard a new shiny bling as **** bike to get back on once he's recovered from being prised open….

if we can donate bits for someone who has had their bike nicked then surely we can sort something out?

(obviously as well as contributing to the above charities)

what do we think, contribute to a pot for new shiny bike(s) or build from parts, contributed?

Happy to help, contribute, build, deliver etc? I have a lot of time on my hands at the mo, and nothing would make me happier than building a bike (or ahem a pair of his and hers bikes???), weekly updates, pics etc

Coyote
    Free Member

I think a bling bike is a cracking idea.

Smee
    Free Member

I think that a biking holiday for the pair of them might be an even better idea.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Mark

Thanks for keeping us all updated. Really good news about the engagment, My wife couldn't have picked a dress in that amount of time let alone everything else.

Glad to read your still fighting hard and I know how it helps to put a face to it, makes it easier to fight the fecker.

Stay in there dude, we are all routing for you both.

John

singletrackmind

Hi Mark,
    Been dipping in and out of this thread since P1 . I am constantly amazed at your strength and positive attitude. I , myself, cannot add anything to help you that has not already been mentioned. PLease just keep posting updates and never be afraid to ask for favours . I think the majority of posters on here would go out of their way to help out , if its possible for them . Best wishes to You and Meg for your upcoming big day . Hope all goes to plan and you have a day to remember forever.

On the Stag weekend front , hhmmmm , this is probably going to come back and bite me but, How about 720 pints of beer in a 'Dalek ' sized tank in the back of van , brim full of cool real ale ready to drink, attatched to about a dozen handpumps . . . mix in a hundred or so thirtsy mtbers . .what could possibly go wrong. Just need a date and a time and place and i will do my very best to be there.

Keep strong.

STM

bullheart
    Free Member

Update:

Meg took 90 mins to find a wedding dress on Saturday. I repeat; 90 mins.

That is why I am marrying her.

Bunnyhop

Wow – admiration. It took me a day.

woodey
    Free Member

90 minutes! You don't know how lucky you are 🙄

woodey
    Free Member

…even choosing underwear in this house seems to take up to 90 minutes…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

now i your chance to pounce, i spent 4 times as much on my outfit as mrsmw spent on her dress 🙂

ononeorange

Slightly belated congratulations on the engagement, both – fantastic news!

+1 on the stag do (have own bald head to bring!).

Keep up the fight – there's this whole forum right behind you.

All the best to you both.

gazman
    Free Member

congratulations mark and meg have a great day and keep on going mate all the best, gaz

TN
    Free Member

I am so excited to see some photos. Mark, I hope your dress doesn't clas with Megs. 😉

vit-t
    Free Member

Keep fighting that fight. We are all there with you in sprit. Kick it, punch it, bite it. What ever it takes to beat the fecker.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Any update on how Pete is doing?

Stay strong and beat the fecker!

therealhoops
    Free Member

Count me in for the doo in Yorkshire, let us know if you have a location in mind. Money is tight-ish so it would be good to get accommodation booked now.
    Will it be worth bringing a bike?

bullheart
    Free Member

Hi folks,

Pretty shit day today. I had to take the day off school to go to St Thomas' in London to have a TOE (Trans Osophogeal Endoscopic), because the normal ultrasounds can't get past the lungs to see the problem in the heart. So I rocked up at 10am, and having agreed that someone (Meg) would come and pick me up at 4pm.

So the doctor tells me that he will confirm EXACTLY what the problem with my heart is today, because he is 'the best at what he does', and that he will let me know when I wake up.

Guess what? Our hero **** off without telling me or leaving any notes; even his nurses seemed embarrassed. I got such a monk-on its not funny. Ended up discharging myself, walking to London Bridge and getting the train home. Seriously, I wouldn't even have minded if he'd have said that he was as bamboozled as everyone else, but to sod off after promising to let me know what he'd found doesn't cut the mustard….

It's the waiting that's difficult. If I knew what was wrong I'd be able to fight this pissing thing, but all the time it's "could be sarcoma this, could be mixoma that, could be blah, might be blah…"

Jesus. Sorry folks. 😥

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,758 total)

The topic ‘I think I'm about to be diagnosed with cancer, and I'm fairly scared.’ is closed to new replies.