Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • I think I want to buy a 29er – what would you recommend?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I reckon rigid forks, 1×10, 70mm stem and potentially bar ends.

something light and stiffish. Scandal looks alrite but I’d prefer slightly shorter chainstays I think.

Probably aluminium as carbon will be a bit dear and steel a bit heavy I think.

Fire away.

clubber
    Free Member

70m stem

er…

I think you seem to be working of generalisations too much. You’ve not really said anything about the type of riding or anything else that’ll help provide any meaningful answers.

ticsmon

Niner air 9. Expensive though

shortcut

Pretty sure that working out what bike you want by the length of stem is perhaps going to prove challenging.

I have a Santa Cruz Highball Aluminium which is brilliant.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

er…

I think you seem to be working of generalisations too much. You’ve not really said anything about the type of riding or anything else that’ll help provide any meaningful answers.

Riding on the road to Grizedale Forest, then riding round Grizedale forest before biking home should cover it.

Not a full susser, nothing expensive.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pretty sure that working out what bike you want by the length of stem is perhaps going to prove challenging.

I think it’s the only way to size a bike properly.

clubber
    Free Member

No, stem angle is all that matters.

oh and I call

earl_brutus

You’ll need a 29er specific stem needless to say……

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If I was going to troll, I’d have at least chosen 650b.

I thought I was the only one who knew anything about bikes on here, so come on, prove me wrong.

clubber
    Free Member

No, you’re right. There’s nothing any of us can teach you.

I suggest you work out the correct answer and let us all know.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I suggest you work out the correct answer and let us all know.

I can’t 29er frames are something I’ve neve rtaken an interest in.

theocb
    Free Member

A Whyte 829 frame.

Not race light but not heavy (I think they are around 3.5lb.)

Standard threaded BB (important for some maybe.)
    Tapered Head tube
    Adjustable chainstay from 425 – 445
    69 Degree head angle with 100mm fork

I think Whyte terms and conditions state 70mm stem only 😉

Hard to get hold of as a frame only though and sizes are very limited from what I remember. And don’t forget 26ers are the only bikes that can be fun apparently!

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

I’d recommend turning the 9 upside down……..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

cheers, that Whyte looks good, although as you say, chances of finding one (second hand anyway) seem slim.

I’d recommend getting turning the 9 upside down……..

How come? What’s so bad about 29ers?

z1ppy

whyte 929*, updated 829 though depends on your idea of expensive.. one for sale last week though it’s no longer on the shops website, so may have sold
    edit: Didn’t see the rigid fork requirement..till too late

*: As always, in the greatest STW tradition.. I own one!

rOcKeTdOg

Singular Pegasus

khani
    Free Member

A Chinese carbon thingy..

roverpig

My FF29 has got a 75mm stem and probably wouldn’t explode if you fitted one 5mm shorter 🙂

Stiff, light, fast and will take a rigid fork.

I’m not so enamoured by mine on Scottish mountains, but for riding to, around and back from a forest it would possibly be ideal.

traildog
    Free Member

Riding on the road to Grizedale Forest, then riding round Grizedale forest before biking home should cover it

Sounds like you want a cross bike. They cover the road quickly and are also probably one of the best things around the forest. 29 wheels and you can fit a single ring. They even come with bar ends, or hoods which was what bar ends were always a rubbish copy of. You may need to size up to get a 70mm stem on with a good reach though.

sv

Genesis Fortitude Race, not sure it has a 70mm stem though…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Assuming not trolling… was looking for something similar and picked up a Scandal frame in the sales last winter. If it’s to try out an xc 29er then I don’t think you can go far wrong. I went for bouncy Reba’s from Merlin though. Got a 70mm stem on it as that’s what I had in the parts bin. Feels about right on an 18″ frame with 640mm bars. My budget build is 23lbs, so fairly light (frame was 1750g). Photo in this thread.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

My 29er has a 60mm stem with rise,…run for the hills!!!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

No-one seems to run a 50mm stem on their 29er.

I do.

Is this a shortcut to unhappiness?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    Assuming not trolling… was looking for something similar and picked up a Scandal frame in the sales last winter. If it’s to try out an xc 29er then I don’t think you can go far wrong. I went for bouncy Reba’s from Merlin though. Got a 70mm stem on it as that’s what I had in the parts bin. Feels about right on an 18″ frame with 640mm bars. My budget build is 23lbs, so fairly light (frame was 1750g). Photo in this thread.

Yes, that’s pretty much the sort of thing I’m looking at, except rigids to keep the weight/cost down, and also so I dont have to bother cleaning the thing.

There’s a couple of Genesis frames that look ok – Mantle and the Latitude (possibly a bit heavy though). The On One is a bargain at the moment so I’m currently tempted by that.

takisawa2

SIR.9.

And I run a 50mm stem.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can you still buy a 29er latitude frame? I thought they’d gone 27.5.

The Scandal frame is a bit of a bargain. I got mine for 150 quid. It’s about a pound heavier than Chinese carbon though so if I was to want to save a bit of weight for a bit more cash I’d be tempted to go this route.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

NOS 2013 Latitudes still seem to be available – think I’m going to discount them on the fact they’re heavy.

Scandals are £150 ATM, only 21″ available but I reckon I’d be better off on a 19.5. Havent really looked at the geometry properly though!

mattjg
    Free Member

Canfield Yelli Screamy (alu) or Nimble 9 or Singular Buzzard (both steel).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm 150 quid for a Scandal… 850 quid for a Yelli Screamy.

Do you have a budget in mind?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

mattjg
    Free Member

£400 for the Buzzard, good value for how much fun it could be IMO (I have a Yelli, very similar geo, I bought used).

patriotpro
    Free Member

I think I want to buy a 29er – what would you recommend?

Buy a 26er

mattjg
    Free Member

Buy a 26er

uhoh this could run to 12 pages!

Cheezpleez

Kona Taro

Or that Stooge

Frankers
    Free Member

My 29er has a 70mm stem though I’m now thinking of changing it as they’re becoming to common

mattjg
    Free Member

2x29ers here, 2x50mm stems.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘I think I want to buy a 29er – what would you recommend?’ is closed to new replies.