I think I am a "Forum Only" cycle enthusiast. Anyone else?

Home Forum Chat Forum I think I am a "Forum Only" cycle enthusiast. Anyone else?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • I think I am a "Forum Only" cycle enthusiast. Anyone else?
  • Dancake

I am having to admit to myself that I like to read about bikes, watch the videos and enjoy the banter on this forum, but when it comes to actually riding the thing I just CBA. Even the 4 mile commute to work drives me nuts.

Anyone else have this happen.? Will I ever get the mojo back?

*I am trying to put some pennies by for a learner legal 125. If that happens I reckon that will really be it….

gee68

I feel exactly the same at the moment,just can’t face the mamouth bike cleaning after another crappy mud slogfest. πŸ˜₯

oldnick

I must confess that whilst my knee heals I’m not missing the bike too much 😳

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Not me but I understand it… I got to the point with motorbiking that i loved working on the bike, I loved the chat, the social side of the rides, planning events and mods and tuning and such, but didn’t actually like riding it much at all.

hora

Surprised me not so ago that afair few stw’ers only riding once a month etc in the past year or lesa.

This is my first weekend off the bike for well over a year.

duirdh

Probably also a good time to admit to yourself that you’re not a very interesting contributor on internet bicycle forums either.. πŸ˜‰

_tom_

Don’t think I’ve ridden my mtb for about a month or so now. Seem to have either been working loads when the weathers good, or shit weather on my days off. Road bike or bmx get ridden every day and i still love those though πŸ™‚

giant_scum

Have never ridden a bike since December 2011! Working away and CBA to service the bikes either is not a good combo. I have about 48 hours at home at the weekends and just about get away with going swimming then circuit training on a Saturday morning mainly because my son goes as well.
    Will get back to riding this year after the Channel swim!

seba560

Have never ridden a bike since December 2011!

Make your ruddy mind up. πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

I went through a phase of not wanting to ride socially. I was still commuting by bike everyday though. Just got tired of winter mud. Ended up selling the MTB, The Wife was, rightly so, giving my grief for have Β£3 bike in the shed not being used. Still enjoyed the banter and bike talk in the LBS. Stopped commuting by bike and within a couple of months I fell back in lurve with the bike.

Now getting grief for not riding the commuter! WAY to good and bling to sell though. That one’s a keeper.

If I don’t ride a bike for a day I start climbing the walls.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

I used to be like this, but recently I’ve really got back into riding. Not so much the MTB’s but still more than last year. Seem to be more motivated to get out and ride than I used to be. Never used to go out on my own and due to having few riding mates I hardly rode. Now I’ve ridden every day this year, bar 3.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Wife was, rightly so, giving my grief for have Β£3 bike in the shed not being used.

Times tight were they? πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

If I don’t ride a bike for a day I start climbing the walls.

+1

Premier Icon stilltortoise
    Subscriber

Most of the last 12 – 18 months or so have all been about the road bike. I had an off at Kirroughtree in September 2011. Nothing serious, but most of they ride prior to the crash was a bit “meh”; I just wasn’t enjoying it as much as used to. End result was that I moved to almost exclusively road riding and my MTBs gathered dust.

Fast forward to last October and my MTBs got nicked. The process of buying a new bike(s) has rekindled my interest in mountain biking and I’ve been out a few times recently. Can’t wait to go slithering in the snow tomorrow.

Still love road riding tho’

[EDIT] …and also I had a road event to train for in 2012 and didn’t have the opportunities to ride all the road I wanted to and get out on the MTB

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

What are these ‘bikes’ you’re speaking of?

andy7t2

If I don’t ride a bike for a day I start climbing the walls

i also go bouldering when the weather is too bad to ride

hora

Stilltortoise switcgback in summer.I bet youll fly.

Tomorrow Im circuit training. Listen to your body I say.

Plus 5hrs total for trudging through snow? No thanks

What’s this ‘banter’ you speak of?

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

havent ridden for about 2 yrs now, mainly into gym stuff instead now. bit of a fair weather rider really, but i still havent ridden the last 2 summers either :-/

cant give up the forum tho, feels like family πŸ˜€

josh1982

Most people who say they are into footy never play. Most who say they’re into cricket never play. I class myself as a cyclist but its over year since I headed out on the trails. Love the beach cruiser down the prom in the summer though!

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Yep been there.

I’ve not actively “mountain biked” for a few years (mainly since moving away from Edinburgh with easy access to Glentress and cycling mates, and then having a daughter).

Over the past year I’ve slowly rediscovered the love through commuting, pulling my daughter in her trailer and introducing her to a balance bike. Shedding weight and getting fit helped too. Now bought a CX bike and will probably even get back to some proper mountain biking in the summer.

I don’t really do bikes in the winter but I have no shame. I like dusty trails and the sun on my back. I haven’t ridden in years.

uselesshippy

comes and goes. Sometimes i’m out all the time, then I wont touch my push bikes for a month or two.
    Always come back to it though. πŸ™‚

sambob

I’m very similar, or have been for the past 4 months. Got back from the Alps and after the worst weather I’ve ever ridden in for 2 days, I didn’t want to think about the bike for a while. So I didn’t. I should have a new bike in the next two weeks though so I’ll then not have an excuse not to ride. Having said that I’m going for a ride in the snow tomorrow morning.

bob_summers

*I am trying to put some pennies by for a learner legal 125. If that happens I reckon that will really be it….

QFT. I would be retiring from a long and illustrious career as a professional cyclist around now, if I hadn’t sold my race bike & bought a 125 gamma when I was 17 πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Unfortunately, my life has taken a turn whereby other things have become more important to me. So it’s a good few months since I’ve ben out on a “proper” mountain bike ride.
    I wouldn’t say I’m happy about it, but that’s the way it is.
    I certainly intend to get riding again come the dry weather, but for now have to make the most of commuting and the odd spin with my hound.

Probably also a good time to admit to yourself that you’re not a very interesting contributor on internet bicycle forums either.

I go out of my way to be that πŸ˜‰

markfu

This is me in a nutshell. I lurk on this forum a lot, and still consider myself a ‘mountain biker’, but… I lost my mojo when i was based in the flatlands of NW Germany, and i haven’t ridden for over a year. I’ve now moved further South near to both the Pfalzerwald and Eifel national parks, and i’m not too far from the Black Forest. All of which have some fantastic trails, and all i do is go out trail running (Which i love, but only got into as it doubled up as recce’ing potential mtb trails). I am probably just a fairweather rider tbh though, every trail that i run i am always picking lines thinking about how it would ride. Maybe i’ll re-assess my position in the Spring πŸ˜‰

bigyinn

Was out this eve, although I’m struggling to motivate myself with all this bloody wet and mud. Only went out because of the snow. So few chances to ride in snow down here, couldn’t not really.

Premier Icon firestarter
    Subscriber

I left the forum until a few months ago for about two years I sold up my bikes apart from one and packed in. I’ve recently got the interest back and after a few rides sold my last bike and bought a new one. And here I am again πŸ˜‰

trailmoggy

Last year was bad for me,( and the year before was all roadie stuff)… had a hip injury which kept me off most of the summer then the wife had our second child in October and to be honest I found other things to do, I even bought myself a Vespa but it wasn’t for me.

I think or hope I’ve got my mojo back, built up a 5spot and I’m just gathering bits for a singlespeed aswell as 2 road bikes so I’ve plenty to go at.

Premier Icon bigdean
    Subscriber

I have the odd downer too. Not rode locally for a good while (sherwood pines area). But trying to get to peak area once a week has kept my interest. Rocky trails not much mud.
    Just cant get motivated to push the bike around for a few hours covering it mud/ grit for little gradient change. That and the increased off roading ripping any paths into mud holes.

Should really use the single speed but thats not got good tyres for the slop.

Strangely riding to work this week in the snow has been the best local rides in ages. But if i dont get out once in a week i am groggy.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Apart from doing the school run I’ve not ridden a bike in months.

Still ride my unicycle almost every day, but I guess this is really a bike forum.

racefaceec90

i haven’t ridden my duster for over 7-8 months (offroad) 😳

i recently bought a road bike (november) which i have ridden 7 times since then πŸ™‚

so count me in the club 😳

Premier Icon DarrenH
    Subscriber

Don’t loose the faith Dan!
    Look on it as a hiatus til spring, then have a fresh start πŸ™‚
    Who knows, we might even get round to the fabled cotswold single track group ride…

rephlexer

loved, loved, loved MTB since Johnny T was in MTBPro

grew up in the peaks & rode the tits off it as a teenager

missed it during uni
    missed it living in london
    missed it during post grad manchester
    missed it during phd glasgow
    miss it working in dundee with daily commute to glasgow

rode my mk1 heckler 50 times in 15 years

now got 4 hardly ridden 4 bikes & never ridden my vpfree

Love my wife, but as much as I would love to go riding it just never seems to happen anymore.

i now vape weed, do 5k ergometer sessions and wander the aisles of STW for pleasure

do i win?

mrchrispy

I’ve maybe done 50 miles on the MTB in the last 5 years.
    Reckon I’ve put nearly 20k on the road though!!!
    I have notice that since ramping up the commute mile my social miles have dropped off, why
    It ting in nearly 100 miles a week I just CBA going out at the weekend.

user-removed

My bike has had a puncture for almost two months. I did actually patch it but it was flat again the next day and I just haven’t got round to replacing the tube.

Brand new BB and removal tool sitting on the shelf, looking at me too!

jools182

I don’t get out as much as I would like to

Mainly due to the bloody awful weather and mud. Also not having cash for decent lights and health problems

hoping that all these situations improve

oddjob

Got dropped 10km into a road race at the end of the season and haven’t touched a bike since. Had enough of road racing so I am going back to enjoying riding this year and balls to racing.

Getting a new boat next weekend and plan on using the bike as a fitness supplement to that along with some weights and circuits.

It seems like it was time to take a break as training seemed to be something that I felt guilty about missing and didn’t really enjoy when I did it as it tended to be too focused on intervals rather than enjoying the ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘I think I am a "Forum Only" cycle enthusiast. Anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.