Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • I think guitars have taken over from bikes in my "I must have it" habit
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

It used to be bikes and bike parts, but now I have no passion left for ti parts and expensive stems etc.

Just had to pull myself away from these beauties:

Damn you Guitar Guitar in Edinburgh and your tempting beauties

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Just keep telling yourself that you haven't yet mastered the one you already have.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Gibson SG Mmmmmm

Once I can play the whole of the Back in Black album to a standard I'm happy with (ie not worrying too much about the solos) I will treat myself to an SG… oh yes I will

jahwomble
    Free Member

Hmm, always been the case for me, bikes tend to be cheapish and functional, guitars get much more of my focus and money. Having said that I do guitars for a living so that seems reasonable:)

RealMan
    Free Member

All look the same to me

younggeoff

I've got an SG Standard in immaculate condition that could do with a new home, It's not getting played as much as it should be, got the fitted case and everything drop me a mail if you're interested

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Lucky you aren't near Guitar Village in Farnham … lots & lots of tempting things, luckily I fiddled with guitars & discovered I am rubbish at them so have just flogged my marshall amp & bought a new MTB frame … back to the old hobbies 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

All look the same to me
    🙄

brassneck

I've got a '78 SG and no you can't have it 😀 – my main is an 80's Yamaha SG2000 though, gorgeous guitar and you can still pick them up cheap from people who think anything without Gibson or Fender on the headstock is worthless.

Nearly had to burn it when I saw a clip of Kajagoogoo using one though 😯

Used to have a tele, I think they are the most honest guitar you can get.

I'd love a Gretsch on an early Beatles vibe, but that's one for a lottery win and a 'Guitar Room' in the faux Georgian mansion I think.. wouldn't see the use of the other two.

I'd love a Ricky 12 string .. a friend has one I'm insanely jealous of, though he was good enoguh to let me play it in our band for many years.

CountZero

Like the Tele. Never been much of a fan of SG's, and the Bigsby rather spoils the lines of the Les Paul, in my very humble opinion. I do like Yamahas, PRS, and, for some reason, I absolutely love Parker Fly guitars. Spotted one in Bath for half price, but I just couldn't stretch to the £300. Damn. And it was a beautiful deep cherry red, too.
    Edit:

chipps

I'm exactly the same. As you might imagine, I get to ride some very nice bikes for work (for which I am eternally grateful…) but that means that I can indulge myself in my other hobby of guitars. And I've realised that I like actual guitars more than I enjoy playing them – I'll happily spend a whole evening changing strings and setting up friends' guitars. And come deadline time (so every six weeks) I find the temptation of ebay very strong…

Issue 59's guitar is a 12 string Danelectro. Issue 58's was a 'bitza' Ibanez RG… I still don't have a Parker Fly though…

I've now got to the point where guitars I lusted after when I was 18 are now within my reach (Fender Strat, Tele, Les Paul and LP Jr) and I don't see why not. It's not like I'll be riding them through the mud and devaluing them…

Carry on! I say… 🙂
    And if anyone ever wants to sell a guitar, I'm definitely worth a punt…

jahwomble
    Free Member

This thread has made me think a bit actually, I have to work quite hard to justify spending more than £5/600 on a bike and will spend a couple of weeks convincing myself. If I see a guitar I like, I pretty much just buy it regardless of the price or how many I already have,which is probablywhy amongst other things I have two telecasters and two Gibson 335's (one of each cost me more than my car and bikes put together….) Hmmmm, might have to reign that in a little.

Nah 🙂

flip
    Free Member
    john_drummer
    Free Member

note the Parker in use here 😉

chipps

Is that a Tech 21 amp? And a Gordon Smith? Hmm… too pointy.

lodious
    Free Member

Mr Womble, do you have any pic's of the 335's?

plumber
    Free Member

All you will ever need

guitar of choice
    HT5
    Tech21 TM30
    Adrenalinn
    Two way switch

Having been there and back again guitar (stuff) wise

Plum

_tom_
    Free Member

I've gone the other way – haven't bought anything guitar related for months (not even strings) but always wasting money on bike bits! Trying to calm it down a bit by simplifying my bike (always stuff going wrong it seems) as I feel guilty about spending too much on it 😆

Can we all show off our guitars now? 😀

(just realised its out of focus)

No longer have the Blackstar as I didn't like it enough – not enough bass and sounded quite "ratty". Love the Laney 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

yes, Tech21 amp (sort of – powered speaker) and a 1981 Gordon Smith; somewhere on that stage is a Fender amp as well

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Looks at guitar on my right 8)

(I can play basic stuff but admire the people who people put in the dedication to master it.)

jahwomble
    Free Member

One in vintage sunburst

Black in the middle, one of my thinlines seems to have sneaked in as well.

And another pic of My Hamer standard just for good measure:)

jahwomble
    Free Member

I'm quite fond of this as well…….

lodious
    Free Member

Sweet Mr Womble!

jahwomble
    Free Member

Ta….I like 'em 🙂

mokl
    Free Member

Expensive bass guitars used to be my obsession, but having owned a silly number of them (and preferring to be riding than practising)I have finally gotten that out of my system… well nearly! I really wish that I had spent all of the money I spent on basses on bikes, although the basses do earn their keep by enabling me to make a little pocket money for bike bits and nappies.

My most extravagant purchase ever is probably this bass:

Paulio
    Free Member

It's the other way around for me – after years of hankering after all manner of guitars, effects and amps, bikes are replacing guitars in my life. Once I sell my Big Apple Strat I'll only have a slightly older Strat and a cheap acoustic left.

I just find myself riding more than strumming and it seems a waste to have things not being used.

mokl
    Free Member

Ditto, Paulio!

_tom_
    Free Member

I'm considering selling the tobaccoburst LP copy I posted above but I'm quite sure I'll regret it. I just never play it any more and the £250 or so I could get would fund some much needed bike stuff. It's a great guitar but since getting the SG I've fallen a bit out of love with Les Pauls as they always feel clumsier.

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Guitar Village in Farnham.

I am soooo lucky i dont live near them.

Ouch for the bank balance if i did.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Paulio – A Big Apple Strat!!! I don't see many of those around, and they don't make them anymore. Don't sell it!!!!!!

Here's my 1997 Big Apple….

SB

supinerider
    Free Member

If I must…

Gibson RD Custom. Sounds awful. Been meaning to take out the active electronics and change the pickups for ages. Keep spending on bike bits instead 😐

EDIT: loving the 335s

Klunk
    Free Member

1977 sg2000

Klunk
    Free Member

and my strat

Klunk
    Free Member

but i play this the most…

grievoustim
    Free Member

guitars do feel like a better way to spend your money – unlike bikes a nice guitar could still be getting use in 20/ 30 years if you look after it. Not many bikes you can say that for

Having said that I spent too much time thinking about the guitar gear I didn't have when I was a teen – and should have spent more time working on my playing skills with the guitar I did have.

Now I can aford it though I am buying a few of those guitars I always wanted

have a strat, a tele and a taylor acoustic – none of them silly expensive though. I have always wanted a les Paul standard though, and it has to be a gibson and it has to be sunburst or tiger stripe. That is a pretty expensive purchase, one day.

lodious
    Free Member

Klunk, I love that sg:)

midgebait
    Free Member

I think it's telling that my bike is now ten years old and is just being kept alive by replacing parts when they fail.

In the mean-time I'm busy wondering what the spruce top version of my cedar Spanish guitar would sound like 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

thanks Iodious, it is a lovely instrument if a little worn and a bit/lot battered. Bought it second hand in 79 the colour wouldn't have been my first choice but was desperate to have one, it's grown on me since though.

335.geek
    Free Member

That blonde tele is blimmin' gorgeous

chipps

I too am buying guitars I could only dream about when I was 18. And, on the whole, anything I've sold on has sold for what I paid for it, if not a little more. The Tokai Strat I bought in 1994 for £200 is now worth £450 or so, which is nice. The other stuff isn't going to depreciate either.

My Salsa frame I bought for £800 in 1991 is probably worth £100-£200 now. Had I spent the money on a Strat, it'd still be worth £400 (or ironically, if I'd spent £800 on a '70s Strat… it'd be worth way more)
    Saying that though, I wouldn't have taken a Strat to the Pyrenees that summer and had a wonderful week of riding, nor raced it every weekend for the next few years…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘I think guitars have taken over from bikes in my "I must have it" habit’ is closed to new replies.