Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • i-Spec conversion?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Anyone know how to do the conversion? I have iSpec A shifter & brakes and I want some new brakes – pretty certain everything is iSpec B these days.

I’m sure I saw a post a few months back where someone had done a conversion from an iSpec A shifter to iSpec B.

coatesy
    Free Member

Confuses me too, but from memory, A type shifters will work with both spec brakes, you’ll get all the bits to convert with the brakes.

timmys

Old shifters will not work with new brakes. Depending on what shifter they are you might be able to get new B type covers though (ie. i just bought some i-spec covers for my XTR shifters and they were available as either A or B).

coatesy
    Free Member

Told you it confuses me, why do they have to complicate something so simple?

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah I have seen that, but I recall someone had converted a i-Spec A shifter to match an i-Spec B setup. Some bits were filed and a new bolt was used, that’s all I can remember.

rickon
    Free Member

I’m a pretty decent mechanic, and I struggled for a while with those instructions. It’s not obvious even when you know what you’re supposed to be putting where – the design is just odd, it works fine, but SRAM went with the intuiative, easy option.

stoddys
    Free Member

I’m trying to do the cut and file thing, not started yet as the ispec B bolts are hens teeth. I found some in stock and ordered them only to find out there not is pairs I only have enough to do one shifter. That’s why I’m waiting. And surprise everywhere is out of stock again now.
    What would be good is a close up picture of the ispec b bracket so I can see how much cutting I need to do.
    And
    A close up for the bolt fitting after ricon’s comment.

If you go this way all the best superficial, I wish I had not got the A brackets and waited to find B brackets, WITH BOLTS.

Stoddy

neilwheel
    Free Member

Superficial
    Free Member

I feel like you might have had something important to say, Neilwheel? Don’t leave me hanging.

iainc

How would I know if mine, which are a little over a year old p, are A or B ?

stoddys
    Free Member

Iainc

The part number on the brake lever tells you
    If it finishes with a B we’ll it ispec B. 🙂

iainc

Aha, mine just says BL M785 so guess its an A, thanks

neilwheel
    Free Member

Superficial – I feel like you might have had something important to say, Neilwheel? Don’t leave me hanging.

Sorry about that, post drink posting, started writing a description, confused myself. Then went on a rant about standards, retro-fit and lack of compatibility, and then round it off by deleting the lot instead of editing.

You can fit A shifters to B levers but without the insert and cross bolt shown in the centre of the diagram above it is a faff.

You need to cut off the hooked spur on the A shifter bracket, so it is in line with the mating face but still has a tab on the top face to engage in the B brake lever.

The hole centres do not match between A and B either, so the the two mating faces do not fully engage and result in a wobbly shifter mount. The fixing bolt hole in the A shifter bracket needs to be slotted so the A shifter mount fits higher on the B lever and is solid when using the levers.

I then made some adaptors by drilling and cutting a thread in some aluminium bar, held in place with a small split pin, for the fixing bolt to attach to.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

Obviously all this is very time consuming and unless you are desperate for new brakes or can find some of the special fixings going spare then you may want to save some effort and buy the adaptor kit if in stock.

Yes i think this really does suck a big fat one on Shimano’s part. (Rant removed.)

But I think there is now Ispec-C, or maybe it was just a dream.

vonplatz
    Free Member

I recently upgraded to I Spec on two bikes. The first were I Spec B and the second weren’t. The difference was in the mating of the shifters if I remember correctly.

Anyway, I’m no master at these things but after taking the shifters apart mounting the new I Spec cover, it was pretty obvious how each one went on by looking.

I now have my reverb remotes placed under the bars on the left about 10mm closer to my thumbs though sticking almost vertically up.

Someone should produce an aftermarket reverb / shimano solution.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, I don’t want to spend £30 on a new shifter cover, though. You could buy a whole shifter for that – it’s the principle of it all.

Neil I’m a little bit confused by all of that. It sounds quite involved. I remember seeing a post with pictures earlier this year – was that you or someone else?

I think I’ll just have to wait until the brakes arrive and I can see if I can bodge it somehow. Of all the new standards on bikes, this is absolutely the worst!

neilwheel
    Free Member

No pictures from me i’m afraid.

The bracket modification is quite simple, cut off the sticky out bit and make the hole bigger.

The issue is with the special parts required to attach the two together, specifically the round insert with a female thread and the cross dowel to keep it in place.
    If you can beg or buy these parts, the rest is simple.

As the B type is much cheaper to produce than the A type, this is one issue that really bothers me. Shimano seems unable to admit any failing, with this and other issues, ten speed road chains anyone?

The bolt hole should have been left in the same place, almost anyone can, or find someone who can, accurately cut off a little piece of metal. And the fixings should have been provided free to anyone on request.
    It’s not like those parts are much use for anything else, and just the requirement for the items shows the person is most likely to be a regular customer.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘i-Spec conversion?’ is closed to new replies.