I quite like this

Home Forum Chat Forum I quite like this

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • I quite like this
  • Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

Good find.

It reminds me of this utterly breathtaking video.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U[/video]

andrewh

Fantastic Saxon. Really can’t get my head around that stuff!

Kevevs

Love this sort of stuff. Not seen that second one.

CountZero

Ahhh, the Hubble Deep Field photo, astounding image, that!

mechmonkey

I feel small.

Premier Icon Suggsey
    Subscriber

Love this sort of thing, just astounding.
    No doubt someone will be along to say how its all a set up like the moon landings 😆

samuri

Or that humans are in some way special or unique in the universe and god loves us rather than being a collection of mostly annoying monkeys with limited intellectual capacity.

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

I don’t know, Samuri. I think that the fact that we can project our tiny little minds from a space in our living room, or kitchen, or wherever we’re reading this, to the further reaches of the universe, is in itself fairly amazing.

In at least one way, I would call that an unlimited intellectual capacity.

samuri

In one way, yes.

The fact that we’re still beating each other up, not, on the whole, working together to make everything better and altogether arguing about pathetically small differences in opinion does suggest otherwise.

We are still on the whole, as a civilized society, arguing about who has the best imaginary friend. I don’t expect that to be a normal topic of conversation amongst the other civilisations in the universe who are considered to be intellectually average.

My guess is that this fact, other than the fact that we’re massively isolated from the real busy places in our galaxy/universe, is why we’re left alone for the most part.

Kevevs

“Folks, it’s time to evolve. That’s why we’re troubled. You know why our institutions are failing us, the church, the state, everything’s failing? It’s because, um – they’re no longer relevant. We’re supposed to keep evolving. Evolution did not end with us growing opposable thumbs. You do know that, right?”

andrewh

I expect other civilisations, those that have noticed us anyway, probably look on earth as we look on a termite mound, interesting but you aren’t going to bother attempting to converse with it are you? Earth is a very young planet,other life forms could be billions of years ahead of us, talking to us would be like us trying to explain relativity to an amoeba.
    i’m not sure the human brain is even capable of understanding the really big stuff, it’s not what it evolved to do. There may be stuff which is unknowable, not because it’s impossible to work out, but because we just wouldn’t understand the explanation. I can’t even visualise a 4D shape, never mind get my head around a 17 dimension universe.
    I hope they can find life on Europa within my lifetime, probably something like those wierd fish that live on the volcanic vents at the bottom of the oceans.

Kevevs

Think we’ll need some kind of intervention. Like in 2001 A Space Oddysey.

pingu66

If the universe is infinite there must be an infinite number of intelligent races. But is our definition of infinity flawed. Its all fascinating and as above are we simply not intelligent enough to learn even if it were explained to us. If we continue to evolve will those things become the norm and our beliefs irrelevant as we pursue the true facts to be capable of exploring and discovering the universe.

I find this just awe inspiring.

willber

Thanks Andrew and Saxon – 2 great vids, really makes you realise how insignificant we are. I believe that certain things are beyond our understanding – our brains have certain limitations, and I believe that many of ‘the answers’ lie outside of these limitations. Maybe this is where the idea of God etc comes from – our brains way of rationalising that which it/we cannot comprehend.

Wheelie good

Willber +1

z1ppy

extra i at the end of your link needs removing, nice site:
    http://www.gigagalaxyzoom.org/B.html

still love this one: http://scaleofuniverse.com/ (check all 4 tabs)

spchantler

current quantum theory states that none of it exists until it is observed. i think.a quantum physicist, earlier.

spchantler

there is also the other end of the scale, in that if you took all the water molecules on earth, and compressed them together, so that only the actual particles remained, all of the water molecules of all the water on earth would fit into a pint glass. most of what we think of as solid matter is actually empty space.

spchantler

neutron stars are another exotic component of our universe, that can result from the gravitational collapse of a massive star during a supernova event.
    A typical neutron star has a mass about the same as our sun, with a radius of about 12 km. Their density is approximately equivalent to the mass of a Boeing 747 compressed to the size of a small grain of sand.
    because of the tremendous gravitational force, surface features are minor.the highest mountain would be measured in millimetres, and climbing would require the same energy as carrying 100,000,000kg up Mt Everest

tacopowell

Yugen, Dude, fricken Yugen….

It’s safe to say, if we continue at our current acceleration of knowledge, we’ll be pretty conscious of the enviorment we reside in.

I love thinking this stuff but I often get myself so deep into thinking my head implodes!

andrewh

2000 years ago we had a flat earth with a sun and moon hovering over it and the stars as the background.
    500 years ago we had a round earth at the centre of the universe with the sun and moon going round it.
    400 years ago we had the sun at the centre of the universe with the 5 planets going round it
    Some bright chap builds a telescope and spots that Jupiter has moons (he is excomunicated as the catholic church insisted that there were 7 heavenly bodies, soon, moon and five planets. THey did eventually back down and acknowledge their mistake. In 1999!)
    We then discovered that stars are all suns.
    We discovered the size of the galaxy
    We realised our galaxy wasn’t the only one.
    We found an extra-solar planet, great excitement at the first. now we find about three every day.
    We now believe that our universe may not be the only one.
    What’s next to find? Makes me all excited thinking about it.
    Wish I’d tried harder at school and gone to work for NASA (queue discussion about making choices in education far too young, at 19 going off to university I had no clue. Should have done physics)

Squidlord

I love this stuff, though it gives me a headache sometimes. Tacopowell’s second picture suggests our knowledge of the universe is increasing exponentially, so there may well be some exciting stuff discovered in our lifetimes. Probably weirder and more wonderful than we can currently imagine.

Does anyone know why there seem to be a couple of unobservable tangents of the universe in Saxonrider’s vid?

andrewh

I did wonder about that. Is it to do with projecting an image of a sphere onto a 2D screen, like a world map on paper goes a bit funny, or are there really blank spots?

Premier Icon Lifer
    Subscriber

The danger is the transition between type zero and type one and that’s where we are today. We are a type zero civilization. We get our energy from dead plants, oil and coal. But if you get a calculator you can calculate when we will attain type one status. The answer is: in about 100 years we will become planetary. We’ll be able to harness all the energy output of the planet earth. We’ll play with the weather, earthquakes, volcanoes. Anything planetary we will play with. The danger period is now, because we still have the savagery. We still have all the passions. We have all the sectarian, fundamentalist ideas circulating around, but we also have nuclear weapons. We have chemical, biological weapons capable of wiping out life on earth.

Will mankind destroy itself?

Squidlord

Is it to do with projecting an image of a sphere onto a 2D screen, like a world map on paper goes a bit funny, or are there really blank spots?

(Thinking aloud) Could be real blank spots. Much easier – and more congenial – to site an observatory near the equator than near the poles I suppose, so this may account for it. Not sure what sort of orbit tools like the Hubble etc are in?

jon1973

Someone posted something similar to this, way back. Still fascinates me when ever I look at it.

http://htwins.net/scale2/

bencooper

Does anyone know why there seem to be a couple of unobservable tangents of the universe in Saxonrider’s vid?

It’s because our galaxy is full of gas and dust and other junk, so we can’t look through the galaxy very well – what we can see are two wide cones above and below the plane of the galaxy.

Squidlord

Ah, that figures – thanks!

Kevevs

more stuff on this brilliant thread please!…

Markie

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUH77mYBUtM[/video]

Physicist Lawrence Krauss considers that the information recoverable by any civilization over the entire history of our universe is finite in an ever-expanding universe.

andrewh

Just for you thenn Kev. It’s a little longer than most vids on here but this one really made my head hurt, even though it’s done with the layman in mind.
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=FiMigmLwwTM[/video]

tacopowell

andrewh- great video, I’d love to think somewhere my life is been written by a monkey, I prefer the world where my life is been written by a monkey with a monocle.

Infinite universe’s is a lot to get your head round but I reckon it’s not that complex, loads of black holes, swallowing up loads of matter, squeezing it and creating new big bangs.

It’ll be great to see what’s discovered in our time!

lazybike

I believe that certain things are beyond our understanding – our brains have certain limitations, and I believe that many of ‘the answers’ lie outside of these limitations.

I think you’re right, time for us to embrace the infinite….

andrewh

Finally had time to watch that all the way through Markie, really good. I think I even understood most of it too, really well explained.
    Try this one about quantum mechanics [video]http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=Nv1_YB1IedE&feature=related[/video]
    Can’t remember where I heard this but “If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, first create a universe”

tacopowell

Is this video worth a watch? I feel I need to watch it but the over dramatic Americanisation of it left me switching off within the first 30 seconds!

I’ll try again tomorrow, when I’ve got more patience about me!

Here’s one for the nitty gritty question that I’m sure most of us really want answering.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=V_C2mZA48ZQ[/video]

tacopowell

My bad, as enjoyable as this episode of horizon was to watch, it’s a few year old, pre Kepler telescope.
    I’ll have a look at some more videos tomorrow. 🙂

tacopowell

Andrewh, another great video, persevere through the poor cgi and its well worth a watch.

Be interesting to see where quantum mechanics takes in discoveries and technology.

tacopowell

Just watching The Empire Strikes Back and how the Infinity theory covered in the Horizon episode posted on this thread would suggest that somewhere in a galaxy far far away, Luke Skywalker decided to join his father to Darkside, in another galaxy they went off together and made cup cakes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘I quite like this’ is closed to new replies.