Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • I presume chains are now made of cheese?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

because the last one I bought, and HG50, has snapped every time I’ve been out since I got it 8 weeks ago. Today it mashed my front mech, I had to walk home 3 miles. and now I now need to buy another chain and a new mech.

Seriously thinking of giving this cycling lark up

davosaurusrex

Don’t do that, just get a KMC!

druidh
    Free Member

You either have a mechanical problem or you have the finesse of a carthorse.

titusrider
    Free Member

you been joining it with proper shimano joining pins each of those times its snapped?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Make sure you havn’t got a bent tooth somewhere too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Waht titusrider said, back in the days of 6/7/8speed chains the method of pushing the pin half out and back in again worked, these days it definately needs a new pin/link.

lesoxdh
    Free Member

The thing to ask is that are you using the shimano connection pins or a magic link to fix the chain. if not then that is your issue.

_tom_
    Free Member

singlespeed with a KMC Z510HX.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Waht titusrider said, back in the days of 6/7/8speed chains the method of pushing the pin half out and back in again worked, these days it definately needs a new pin/link.

Probably that then. The joining pin broke on first install so i did the pin out/pin in method…..that makes me feel like a useless dick now 😳

titusrider
    Free Member

just get yourself 20 powerlinks and keep a stash (plus dont use shimano chains, i rate SRAM others like KMC)

butcher

I found this out the hard way. Grew up using the pins that I took out of chains and they never once failed. With 9 Speed I’ve had a chain snap 3 times in one ride. Had another go twice on the first ride (I cut it too short and tried to add an extra link). Defo need the proper joining pin/link.

spchantler
    Free Member

yes, chains are constructed slightly differently these days, when you use a chain tool to pop a link out, it shears a small ring of metal off the pin. when you push that pin back, its never as safe as the original, so get a load of split links, joining links or whatever you call them, make sure they are for 8,9 or 10 speed chains

beanieripper
    Free Member

im not that heavy and have snapped 4 shimano chains, 1 sram, and never a kmc..

snowpaul
    Free Member

never snapped a shimano chain – only use xt / xtr chains with kmc / sram links = no prob – have bent and snapped sram… kmc good

paul

cynic-al
    Free Member

shimano chains have been this way since hyperglide in 1990, though you used to get away with it.

Blokes and instructions, eh?

thegiantbiker
    Free Member
    Edric64
    Free Member

Never used a joining pin on 9 speed just a chain tool and ive never snapped a chain .Im also a heavy lump .

toppers3933
    Free Member

dont KMC make shimano chains anyway?

sillyoldman

Toppers – only the low end models.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Seems to be the case – 10spd shimano chain dropped off the granny ring on a ride last weekend and somehow a couple of links got themselves twisted through 90 degrees

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘I presume chains are now made of cheese?’ is closed to new replies.