I phone or HTC One mini for good battery life using GPS for Strava?

Home Forum Bike Forum I phone or HTC One mini for good battery life using GPS for Strava?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I phone or HTC One mini for good battery life using GPS for Strava?
  • myti

I’m due an upgrade from my HTC sensation which i use every time i ride with Strava but the battery life is terrible and i have to carry a spare battery. It won’t last an all day ride…

I like Android but if the new One is as bad as my last i’m tempted to switch to an i phone. Also any thoughts on accuracy of the GPS in these phones? Any experience much welcomed.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Garmin edge 200 and the phone you like is the answer

Premier Icon P20
    Subscriber

Galaxy S4 is a much better battery than the S2 (wor lasses phones). I still prefer my iPhone. Both the S4 and iPhone have battery cases available which will almost double the battery life

wurzelcube

What mikewsmith said… Strava on a mobile is frustrating, I find the garmin GPS tracking far more accurate and very rarely suffer any errors / straight lines on strava missing out part of the route.

myti

I get what you’re saying about having a proper gps but i’m trying to avoid spending yet more money on this ‘hobby’ and i really like the Strava app and loading the results up on the go rather hooking it up to the computer and having one less gadget to charge and remember to pack…although i surpose christmas isn’t that far off!

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Yep the extra device thing is a bit annoying but not as much as having a constantly flat phone – especially when you want to call home in an emergency.

Converted garmin users here though, puts the info on the screen and up front, us it for nav an progress monitoring and the phone can get tucked away nice and safe in the bag or left at home.

I’ve not managed to get under 50% charge on my 810 with a couple of long days out.

mikertroid

I’ve got a Garmin BT GPS receiver that I use with my iPod touch. Seems to do the trick; might work for you on your existing phone, saving the cost of a new phone

spooky_b329

Try putting the phone into flight mode then re-enable the GPS to extend the battery life. Stops the phone hunting for a signal/downloading mapping etc.

myti

Cheers will try the flight mode thing.

Mikertroid there is no cost to a new phone as I’m due an upgrade but really wanted to know if anyone has experienced battery life with strava with new HTC as my other half has no issues using the iPhone 4.

myti

Flight mode worked a treat in the Surrey hills today! Loads of battery left after 6 hours of strava and the added bonus of no pesky phone calls interrupting my ride!

mikertroid

myti,

fair enough but I think phone GPS tends to hammer battery life whatever the phone

stumpy01

Get whichever phone you like the look of and spend £20 on a plug-in battery extender.
    Should give you plenty of juice.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I phone or HTC One mini for good battery life using GPS for Strava?’ is closed to new replies.