Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • I phone 4 s problem!
  • tk46hal
    Free Member

Hi All,

Got my wife a I phone 4S but no one can here her when she rings or someone rings her, not a bad problem to have I here you say 😉 but it’s now driving us mad. When I get home I will no doubt be playing with the phone to see if I can perform the miracle of fixing the issue!
    Please can some smart techie tell me what the problem is.
    Oh, the phone will record video and do the facetime thing, it’s when phoning in or out!

Thanks.

Muke
    Free Member

You need the services of wysiwyg, highly reccomended STW phone fixer (currently fixing an ipod for me as well)
    Post on this thread

tk46hal
    Free Member

It’s a brand new phone, only a week old sent by EE via the post.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scuttler

There’s a slidey button on the side that can be configured to disable the ringer. Is that in the muted position.

Otherwise you’ll need that Horse Whisperer from Little Britain.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The 4s mic is part of the dock and can’t be muted unless in a call. I’m guessing it works on speaker phone fine. Warranty.

Ps. Muke still waiting for the digitiser to arrive. Thought I had one but it’s a 2g. Will update when she’s done

Pickers

Did you keep your phone number from a previous phone, but change the provider?
    I had a similar issue when I got my 4S a while ago – moved to O2 from T Mobile, to start with I had no incoming or outgoing calls, which improved to outgoing calls only after a week – basically they stuffed the changeover procedure. I called O2 and had a good whinge – they took a fortnight to sort it out but I got a couple of months free contract.
    I think you need to call up EE and make sure they know there’s a problem

sugdenr
    Free Member

That is classic symptoms of a defective audio chip, if you google re-balling iphone 4 you will find it. Basically the ?bottom mic works for facetime and recorder but when you tel it actually uses 2 microphones top and bottom, compares them in an audio processing chip and cancels out any duplicate sound to provide a noise cancellation of background noise. When the audio chip becomes dislodged – no-speaky any more.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Could it only be a setting on the phone and not actually a broken or faulty phone?

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is a mute setting. Try a call on speaker phone. It does sound very much like a faulty device, ask for a new one. As I understand it the phone must be a refurb as you cannot get new 4S’s now.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

no

does it work on speaker phone?

grum
    Free Member

wysiwig do you reckon you could replace the battery on my iPhone 4S even though I’ve rounded off the head on one of the screws? 🙂

wysiwyg
    Free Member

One of the battery screws or one of the pentalobe case screws?

Either way shouldnt be a problem. Worse case scenario your battery only gets held in with one screw. Hopefully its the bottom screw youve killed not the top one that holds the antenna ground in place

Muke
    Free Member

Cheers wysiwyg, no prob.

jock-muttley
    Free Member

Okay,

KISS guys KISS

You have removed the protective clear plastic strip from the top of the microphone opening?

This is the most common issue with no outgoing audio on brand new iPhones 😯

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Plastic film? If you mean the screen protector that doesnt go near the mic.

I cant get more simple than “does it work on speaker phone” 😉

Im off out so here are the options.

For piece of mind go to settings, reset, erase all content and settings, then see A or B.

Does it work on speaker phone?
    A: Yes, the mics dead, go to C.
    B: No, something else is dead, go to C.
    C: Warranty

tk46hal
    Free Member

Calls can be heard on speaker phone if that gives any clues. Just to confirm as well, the phone was brand new a week ago!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

See C

tk46hal
    Free Member

Thanks!

jock-muttley
    Free Member

Seen two brand new iPhones with exactly the same symptoms even on speakerphone.

I spotted that the cut out for the mike opening on the protective screen cover as shipped from apple hadn’t been “cut out” properly thus blocking the mic and making the caller sound as if they were on mute unless they shouted.

Took us 20 mins to suss it the first time, 2 seconds for the next one.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

What cutout?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘I phone 4 s problem!’ is closed to new replies.