Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • I only speed when it's safe…
  • GrahamS

What complete bollocks!

Tonight on the way home: Snow and ice on the ground, heavy snow falling, 30 advisory limit, 50 actual limit and… folks doing 70+

WTF?!?

What's the bets if you asked one of them about speeding they'd come out with this lie?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Wrapped in a big box of steel they are relatively safe. Pity the poor fecker they hit.

Jamie
    Free Member

Wrapped in a big box of steel they are relatively safe. Pity the poor fecker they hit.

I dunno, might not want to hit one of these:

MoreCashThanDash

That's the line I use to justify my speeding.

Obviously, I wouldn't be speeding in the circumstances that you have described. I'm hypocritical, but not a complete moron.

hora
    Free Member

Hence my car has stayed on the drive and will remain there tomorrow as well.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

What do you expect people to say "I only speed when it's unsafe"?

People drive to their abilities (or atleast their understanding of their abilities) – hence Hora leaving his car on the drive.

Remember this site is provided by a man whose first article was about being banned for speeding, and then being banned again for driving whilst banned…….

Speeding is NOT a crime. Driving stupidly is.

There is a difference.

Coyote
    Free Member

Speeding is NOT a crime. Driving stupidly is.

I think you'll find that speeding IS a crime and I have yet to hear of anyone being charged with stupidity, no matter how much they deserved it…

dave_aber
    Free Member

Adultery is not a crime
    Bigamy is a crime

Go figure….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay i pity the poor fecker they hit who isn't in a bigger box of steel

Gary_C

They may 'only speed when its safe'

But when they try to slow down that's when they suddenly find out its unsafe.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

FFS

Speeding in itself has no victim.

Having an accident becuase you're driving too fast, too stupidly, too drunkly does.

If I am going 37 in a 30 limit and I hit no-one, then no crime has been committed in reality.

I drive very carefully, and I really do slow down in sh!t conditions like today. But I'm also happy that I pay enough attention to drive fast WHEN the conditions allow.

What **** me off is the nanny state ponces on this site harping on about how Jesus will have them licking his left one when they die just becuase they piously stuck to 70 (and annoyed me no doubt, by clogging up a perfectly usable outside lane).

People that hate speeding are usually just sh!t drivers.

Smee
    Free Member

Nobody was ever hurt because they were going too fast, it's being in the wrong place that does the damage.

GrahamS

I dunno, might not want to hit one of these

Yep, a mate from uni did that many years ago. Lost it on the A90 Aberdeen road and went headlong into a snow plough. Didn't survive. 🙁

Speeding in snow: not good!

lost_soul
    Free Member

Speed doesn't kill, bad driving does.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

just poured myself a glass of ale. Should be fun.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

just poured myself a glass of ale

LOL – Drink driving is ridiculous. Even I[/u] could agree with that……

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – finish your ale and see if you can beat the speed limit in the snow. You can always drive better after a few beers, helps you relax into it mnore.

Jamie
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    just poured myself a glass of ale. Should be fun.

I do hope you are using your other hand to text that message to STW while driving with your knees.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nobody else gets that kind of grief when they say "I've put the kettle on…etc". Just thought it was too late for tea/coffee 😳

Now I'm a drink driver too 👿

GrahamS

If I am going 37 in a 30 limit and I hit no-one, then no crime has been committed in reality.

By that logic, if I fire a gun randomly in a street but I don't hit anyone then no crime has been committed?

Or if I enter your house, have a look around and leave without taking or damaging anything, then no crime has been committed?

Of course speeding is a crime! It has varying degrees of seriousness certainly: 80 on the motorway on a clear day is a lot less serious than 50 in the 20 zone by the school, or 70 in a 50 when it's dark, snowing and icy.

But they are all still crimes!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Apparently some people speed in bad conditions just to keep up with other cars even though they know it is an unsafe speed!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If it were completely safe and didn't infringe on civil liberties or privacy, every car to be fitted with GPS, every road to have variable speed limits depending on conditions, light, weather, traffic volume etc. Infringers to be issued with penalties for breaking the limit. Sometimes, the limit will be high, sometimes it'll be low.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Where is god's gift to driving anyway?

Jamie
    Free Member

deadlydarcy:

Where is god's gift to driving anyway?

Hanging from the eaves sleeping?

j-cru
    Free Member

Well said grahamS, if the police stop you doing 37 in a 30 you,ll find out it is a crime. Away and read your dail mail Rswank(er)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

More likely snoozing under his bridge El Chup

Smee
    Free Member

M_F in scratched record shocker.

Also, i don't believe in god…

Jamie
    Free Member

Jesus! Its like saying candyman in the mirror 5 times 😉

Northwind

I only speed when it's safe. What annoys me more is people who think that the speed limit's a target, and drive/ride at it regardless of conditions. Who's more dangerous, me doing 90mph on a motorway on the bike or the huge number of people doing exactly 30mph in built up areas while it's cold and wet, or snowing, or foggy? The speed limit has no bearing whatsoever on whether you're driving safely, either way.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well who really give a f

i travel at speeds appropriate to the conditions, if the road is empty dry and I can see a long way in front and behind I will go faster, however I would not consider doing the speed limit round borrowdale as this would be unsafe.

Speed limits are arbitry numbers assigned to help the police make money

retireing with glass of single malt to watch 😈

and I know I have made spelling mistakes

kennyp
    Free Member

Joe Bloggs drives at 71 mph on an empty motorway on a clear, dry day.

John Smith travels at 29 mph (in a 30 zone) on a wet, miserable, dark afternoon on a crowded street with lots of shoppers about.

Which one is the dangerous driver? And which one is breaking the law?

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Speeding is good.

Get over it.

People crash for other reasons. Crap drivers, drunks, whatever. As I said, I do take extra care in the snow, and rain, and anything I consider a risk.

But the STW concensus that anything over 70 on a motorway is akin to child molesting is ridiculous. I have a nice car, very capable of high speeds, that is dealer serviced and driven by someone sensible (i.e. me).

Would you rather meet some **** in a stolen Nova with no insurance driven 28 in a 30 limit?

It's arse. Speeding makes accidents worse. Speeding does not make accidents more likely.

XXX

GrahamS

which one is breaking the law?

Neither? 71 in a 70 is not speeding. There is an allowable margin for exactly this reason.
    No speed camera would fire at that speed, no traffic cop would pull you, no prosecution would stand.

i travel at speeds appropriate to the conditions,

The point of my original post is that everyone[/I] always says that – but my experience would suggest that actually some folk just think they are infallible and speed regardless.

zokes
    Free Member

Neither? 71 in a 70 is not speeding. There is an allowable margin for exactly this reason.
    No speed camera would fire at that speed, no traffic cop would pull you, no prosecution would stand.

So just because they can't reliably catch you it's not a crime then?

Fuzzy logic for pious thinkers there…

GrahamS

So just because they can't reliably catch you it's not a crime then?

No, it's not a crime because a genuine absolute limit of 70 would mean folk would have to drive at 65 to avoid accidentally slipping over it. The best driver in the world couldn't hold a car at 70 on a varying road without straying into 70.000001 mph.

MrOvershoot

GrahamS – Member

which one is breaking the law?

Have you been to North Wales recently?

Dickyboy

statistically speaking it would be safer to do away with all speed limits – then no one would die from speeding

zaskar
    Free Member

DrRSwank – Member

People that hate speeding are usually just sh!t drivers.

No they are just obeying the law, driving safely and probably trying to keep their licence and don't want to kill other road users.

I regard myself a pretty good driver and I love driving fast but I'd rather do it on a race track (which I have)than kill someone on the public road or lose my job.

Carry Dr idiot, should you kill someone you'll have their family on your door gunning for you.

You're a Fred troll yes?

boblo
    Free Member

Errm, the limit is the limit it's just not enforced. This is usually because speedos are not calibrated and people are given a margin for their error.

If the Police really wanted to do you at 70.00001 mph, they could as you'd be breaking the speed limit and therefore the law.

FWIW, I think the whole speeding bedevillment/arbitrary/lazy enforcement is a simple means of easily villifying large sections of the polulation, raising revenue and being seen to be 'proactive'.

It must be time for someone to trot out some of the Govt propaganda about how speed kills and how 'Safety' (ha ha) cameras have reduced acidents and deaths. Yeah, bloody right.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It must be time for someone to trot out some of the Govt propaganda about how speed kills…..

So if a skip lorry pulls out in front of you when you're doing 80mph, you are no more likely to die than if you were doing 8mph ?

Cool……….I'll remember that 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘I only speed when it's safe…’ is closed to new replies.