Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • "I need you to sign this mortgage protection disclaimer"….
  • GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

The mortgage broker we used is chasing me to sign a “disclaimer” because we declined to purchase mortgage payment protection through him.

The wording slapped across the disclaimer states “I’ve declined to protect my mortgage.” What on earth makes him think I’m going to sign something like that??

jekkyl

sign it, it makes no difference whatsoever, it’s just there so in 5 years if you get made redundant you can’t chase his company for not making you aware that you should protect the mortgage. This just states that you’ve been made of aware of the need and have chosen to decline it, woop de doo!

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

You’re not him are you?!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jekkyl

YES! now sign it or you don’t get the mortgage and we’ll take your first born.

footflaps

Mind you if you do take it out, you can then sue him for £1000s for miss-selling in a few years time…..

deadslow

Ask for a £25 admin fee to cover your costs!

dannybgoode

Absolutely standard and shows the mortgage broker is doing a proper job (and note mortgage payment protection is completely different to single premium payment protection and is a valuable product to some people).

The problem they have is that the FCA and FOS, when dealing with a complaint against them, will ask to see the file detailing the sale of the mortgage and all associated products.

If the file does not support the mortgage broker’s version of events they will find against them.

So, in this case, in x years time you get made redundant and your house is in danger of being repossessed. Someone mentions you could have taken out payment protection and you do not remember (or choose not to remember) whether your broker discussed this with you.

You complain and the FOS ask to see his file. He swears down he told you but there is nothing on file to support this, he is shafted.

By getting you to sign something it is clearly documented it was discussed with you and you do not want to take it.

I used to insure mortgage brokers against complaints and would very much expect to see this sort of thing on file.

Northwind

GrunkaLunka – Member

The wording slapped across the disclaimer states “I’ve declined to protect my mortgage.” What on earth makes him think I’m going to sign something like that??

I don’t know, maybe because you’ve declined to protect your mortgage?

allthepies
    Free Member

What they said.

Why don’t you want to sign it ?

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

I do quite like the admin fee idea… I was going to ignore him but seeig as how we have the mortgage and the sale is completed, now I think I’ll drag this out for as long as possible for some general payback.

mt
    Free Member

Pay back for what? You got a mortgage from him, was that what you wanted?

jekkyl

Why? you got the mortgage didn’t you?!, why make his job harder, be nice and karma will reward you, be nasty and you’re it’s bitch.

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

“You’ve declined to purchase insurance through us” = fine.

“You’ve declined to protect your mortgage” = not true.

STATO
    Free Member

sign a “disclaimer” because we declined to purchase mortgage payment protection through him

“You’ve declined to purchase insurance trough us” = fine.

“You’ve declined to protect your mortgage” = not true.

Yeah, sound like it was totally him that made your mortgage application difficult 🙄

allthepies
    Free Member

So tell him you’ve purchased mortgage protection from somewhere else and that should suffice. He can keep your EMail on file to show as an audit log.

dannybgoode

What does the full wording say – not just the strap line?

slowjo
    Free Member

So…have you declined to take out life insurance to cover your debt if you die before the end of the term? If you have made that decision wtf are you prevaricating about?

If you have adequate life cover elsewhere, where is your problem? Sign the piece of paper and go on your way.

You expect your mortgage broker to be professional but you choose to act like a twit?

Shakes head in despair

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

“We have discussed the importance of protecting your mortgage in the event of:
    – your death
    – you suffering a critical illness
    – your long term illness

You have declined protecting your mortgage against these scenarios, despite my recommendation. Signed…..”

That’s it, and he isn’t accepting the email approach saying “thanks but no thanks to buying protection through you etc. etc.”

To be fair to him he did a really good job and the whole thing was suprisingly easy so it would be nice to help him out, but I’d rather the form had a box saying that “I’ve gone elsewhere”.

slowjo
    Free Member

OK

My recommendation then is to respond to the letter, thanking him for his assistance and recommendation. Then add a comment to the effect that you have adequate cover which you have effected elsewhere. It means you have acted in a businesslike fashion, and he is seen to have fulfilled his responsibilities to you. Job done. You are happy, he is happy.

jekkyl

It makes NO difference, if you feel that strongly about it, write on the form that you’ve taken it elsewhere and then sign it. It’s just a bit of paper, you know you’re covered elsewhere so there’s no consequence.

annebr
    Free Member

How about signing a document stating you’ve refused to sign a form declining the payment protection.

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

I reckon Slowjo and jekkyl have it – amend and sign if it’s that important for him.

Although if I combine Annebr’s fractal letters with a chrage for my time,I could protect this mortage through admin charges alone!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘"I need you to sign this mortgage protection disclaimer"….’ is closed to new replies.