• This topic has 25 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I need to fabricate a rear mudguard… tried once, failed once… help
  • Alex

So this is the back end of my Mojo 3. Much as I love this bike the clearance with the chubbies in isn’t great. But that’s not the main issue at hand.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TZdmsy]Mojo3 Mudguard prototype[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

You can see the bearings on top rocker link and the link itself which acts as a mud shelf. I want to put something between the big tyres flinging mud and grit and the bearings/rocker (bearings themselves are partially exposed so they’re just going to die fast unless I do something.

I cut down an old mudguard and after a bit of filing had it fitting very nicely (a few iterations after this pic) against the back of the rocker. The problem is there is only an upright strut on the NDS with the DW linkage so nothing to fasten to the DS. So it’s too flexy to be any use

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VgGRZk]Mojo3 Mudguard prototype[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Things I’ve considered and discounted
    – use the front mech cover which has two threads bonded into the back of the seat tube. So bolt something into there. Problem is the angles are rubbish and there’s no way I can see to make a shape that’d fit
    – cable tie something directly to the rocker. Nope, there is a merely a nadge of clearance between the rocker and the seat tube. Put anything in there and it’d just gouge out the frame tube
    – Using a mud hugger. Wouldn’t protect bearings and there’s a bit of (necessary) movement on the bushes that connect the clevis to the swing-arm. The mudhugger would essentially stop that movement

Things I’m considering
    – Bond something directly to the back of the rocker cover. Might work but probably too flexy and I’m basically glueing to carbon which doesn’t strike me as a good idea.
    – Ride one of my other bikes when its gets really muddy 😉

Any thoughts? Good ones may be rewarded with postal beer!

richmars

Use an empty 4 litre milk ‘bottle’. Easy to cut with a sharp knife. Flexible. Fix in place with cable ties.

Alex

Yeah I started there. The problem is it is too flexible. I can only attach it with cable ties to one side (the upright strut you see in the first pic). Nothing on the right. I might be able to use cable tie to the clevis which at least means I have two sides, even if they are in the wrong plane.

Another template methinks.

richmars

Ok.
    Actually I used a 2 litre container, not 4. If you’re lucky the shape of the container will be just right, so it has a bit of stiffness built in. It doesn’t need to be too solid just to keep water away.

zippykona

Could you cable tie a front mudhugger to the swing arm?

Alex

Thanks all.

@EddieB – they might work. Depends how well they last under monthsofgrim(tm). But for 3 quid, I ordered some.

@Rich – I’ve just made the kids a hot chocolate so I can harvest the 2L bottle. What really ruined the first photo was how much I had to cut away that old top peak guard. It went from nice and stuff (why I chose it) to floppy and useless. Ahem. The perfect shape is a bit complex. Especially for a man with a hacksaw, a heat gun and a very limited amount of patience.

@Zippy – I might try that. The problems I see are 1) it’ll further reduce the clearance inside the swing-arm of which there is bog all and 2) locating it might get me back to the problem of trapping the movement of the bushes…

Right back to the garage!

Alex

I had a go with a front mud hugger but it’d take a lot of adaption to get it thin enough to fit. It did give me an idea tho about how to make something that might work

[url=https://flic.kr/p/V2wEJL]Untitled[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

That’s the coverage I need, so I just have to craft something I can then attach to the clevis… might try those go pro stickies when they come…

jimdubleyou

Can’t you just zip tie some foam in there?

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/leogang-race-preparation

perchypanther
    Free Member

I recently bought an A3 polypropylene file storage folder from Tesco for £2 which I promptly cut up to make enduroguard type mudguards for my fatbike.

The material was thin enough to make the shape I wanted(0.7mm maybe) and could be cut to shape with scissors but stiff enough to hold the shape.

tillyfishes
    Free Member

What about using neoprene? As the neoprene would be stretchy, it could be attached to the upper link allowing for a longer mudguard.

Alex

Foam I hadn’t considered, nor neoprene. I need something stiffer than a milk carton but easier to bend than hard plastic. For a further investment of £2 I think I’ll pop into tesco next…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 plastic file cover/holder

Flatten the mudhugger out and trace it onto the file holder. Cut/modify to desired spec then fit.

I found know an unscrupulous tight-arse who found just such an A4 file-holder that had a carbon-look to the plastic. The same git found a template pic online of something like a front muckynutz benderfender and went and printed it out to trace around, thereby cutting/fashioning one from the A4 plastic sheet. Word is he bought a ‘real’ fender at a later date because he felt guilty 😉

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Just bend an enduro guard into there. I did with my HD3 and now the upper rocker bearings last a lot longer.

joebristol

I’ve got an enduro guard on the back of my bike – just keeps the mud off the shock / upper linkage etc.

nickc

I’m not sure cardboard will work to be honest

bigyim
    Free Member

Alex if you can send me a template I could cut you one out of an inner wheel arch liner from a car. I work in a body shop so can just look for scrap ones in the skip for you. Will be stronger than a milk bottle and black plastic. Or if needed I can plastic weld two of them together to make a better shape.
    Email is in profile if you want me

trusty

Option B, use the Cotic? 😀

Alex

Cheers all. BY- I’ll be in touch. thanks!

Cotic is getting used in the winter Steve, but I dunno if you’ve noticed it’s muddy now! Not only are those bearings right in the firing line, they are exposed as well – there’s no coverage from the bolts…

Alex

I’m not sure cardboard will work to be honest

– that was my best work 🙂

trusty

On a more serious note, I’ve got a marsh / enduro guard thing lying around if it’ll be any use

csb

Traffic cone was a well regarded bodge on here a few years back. If you overlooked the mirth it generated.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Zefal down-tube protector might fit in there.

If it was me, I’d be trying out various kinds of camping mat (as a template)

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I’ve bought a 2metre length of 75mm guttering for my attempt at a set for my trek stache. It should bend a treat with a heat gun, while being thick enough to hold a decent shape.

I bet it won’t though!

nevermindthebutter
    Free Member

I made up a mud flap using an old DH tube, cut so it hung down over the upper link, secured by a velcro strap around the seat tube. Works well for stopping stones chewing the frame to bits; has been on the HD3 for more than 2 years. Might be able to put ‘wings’ on it to shield the bearings maybe, but that wasn’t the design intent.

Alex

Thanks for that. I still haven’t fabricated anything to take up the kind offer up there ^^ to make me something more rigid. Might try the tube as an interim. Stopping stones and crap getting into the top linkage would be a good result regardless of bearings.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘I need to fabricate a rear mudguard… tried once, failed once… help’ is closed to new replies.