Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • I need to cut a hole in my wall
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I can’t believe you’re thinking of cutting a hole in the wall just for a cat.
    Madness 🤷🏻‍♂️

jca

We had one put in a double glazed door really quickly and cheaply. We had two glazed panels in the door, and the local DG company replaced the lower panel with a uPVC panel and fitted the catflap in that. Cost about £50 about 10 years ago.

tjagain

Have World class accident and molgrips ever met? This is something we all want to see ( from a distance). Imagine the jolly japes

neilnevill
    Free Member

When I was a kid the house had a round tunnel through the utility room wall for our dryer vent pipe to be shoved through. When we got a cat it found it and used it fine. It had to sort of dive through but did it happily and with no problems. The tube emerged in a glass lean to greenhouse thing and dad decided to fit a flap to the door of that rather than leave the door open…. Cat didn’t agree…. Door with flap got left open.

spooky_b329

I had this problem but couldn’t bring myself to permanent ruin the brickwork outside the house. In the end I stick drilled into the attached garage and then put a second flap on the garage door. Really glad I did that as one cat subsequently went blind so he can access his litter trays in the garage but not go outside unsupervised.

jag61

i put a hole into garage and built a timber ‘bedroom’ for cats worked well restricting access into garage , they only used it a bit… for removing bricks i can recommend a screwfix mortar rake bit to fit to angle grinder, works better if you can reduce/control speed on angle grinder virtually no airborne dust and quite controllable.

scotroutes

I can’t believe you’re thinking of cutting a hole in the wall just for a cat.

TBF he’s cutting a hole in the wall for a holiday.

reluctantjumper

Is this going to end up like the car thread? A quick job before your holiday and you had to panic-buy a new car, this time you return to find the house has collapsed and are panic-buying a new house?

scotroutes

It would surely be easier to dump the cat and get a new one after the holiday.

slowol

Are all the cat kennels in S. Wales booked up? Might be easier than a hole in the wall.

Other than that chain drilling I found easier and less messy than large diameter core drill unless you have v. fancy professional quality gear. Don’t need a 20 mm bit though 10 or 12 mm bit takes less than half the time per hole and is easier to control in my DIY experience. Probably worth buying a new, sharp, 12 mm bit of decent quality for the job as it will spall less.

Good luck and remember this one doesn’t even have a warranty 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Flippin eck.

– There’s no shed

– The garage is no place for a cat, and it’s at the front of the house where she’s scared to go.

– She wants to come and go all the time, I’m not getting up every 20 minutes all night to open the door.

– They are French doors, you know, big windows that open like doors. There’s no PVC panel, they are all glass and there aren’t two sections. Two sections would look really weird. As windows they have full length curtains which would have to be left open for a cat flap to work.

– We don’t want to keep her indoors all the time. Being a very very timid rescue cat she took ages to feel comfortable outside and now she does she gets proper stimulus and freedom and isn’t bored shitless all the time begging to be played with. So being outside is good for her. And no, she’s not killing wildlife, she’s far too timid for that, and doesn’t go outside the bounds of our tiny garden except to hide under next door’s van.

– Further to that, if we bundle her into a cat box and leave her with strangers in a cattery that’s going to really set her back so we need to avoid that if possible. But we cannot put 2 weeks’ worth of litter trays out so catflap it is. She’s just learning to do her business outside now.

– I’ve cut bricks, tarmac and concrete already during the course of the garden renovation, dust is under control I know how to do that part.

Anything else?

duncancallum

Pics of the cat?

darstadlydick
    Free Member

The only place I could fit a catflap was in a bifold door. Ended up replacing a whole large glass pane for one made with a hole in it for the catflap. Cost £300 and took a week to manufacture and fit but works really well.

spooky_b329

Final option, if it’s just time that is stopping you getting the glazed panel ordered and cut for the flap, temporarily fit a solid panel into one door or a sheet of OSB.

nickc

Anything else?

If that’s the state of the cat, then honestly, you all going away and leaving to fend for itself it is going to have the same effect as bundling it off to a cattery, if it’s that nervous. Have you thought of a stay-cation this year? you could do day trips and you can maybe just not have to build the cat-tunnel in such a rush?

Have World class accident and molgrips ever met?

This is the STW equivalent of “Never cross the streams” in Ghostbusters and must never happen

edit: this is why I don’t have pets, I love the idea of a dog or cat, but the reality of them is catteries and kennels or persuading a neighbour to come around and feed and water it, or having to deal with another thing’s shit…

timba
    Free Member

Anything else?

Holds breath for an “I need to buy an automatic refrigerated cat feeder” thread 😉

retrorick

I bought an automated, wi-fi connected cat feeder and it is pretty good. Uses the tuya smart home app. Only dry food. So water needs to be topped up inside the house, otherwise the cat can exit via the cat flap to drink rain water out of a trough.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pics of the cat?

https://glamorganstar.co.uk/fifi-has-her-eye-on-a-new-home/

this is why I don’t have pets, I love the idea of a dog or cat, but the reality of them is catteries and kennels or persuading a neighbour to come around and feed and water it, or having to deal with another thing’s shit

Same reasons I didn’t want one either.

If that’s the state of the cat, then honestly, you all going away and leaving to fend for itself it is going to have the same effect as bundling it off to a cattery, if it’s that nervous. Have you thought of a stay-cation this year? you could do day trips and you can maybe just not have to build the cat-tunnel in such a rush?

It’s a fair comment. She’s been on her own several times for a few days at a time and was ok. The only concern I have is if she will get used to the cat flap in good time to use it. We’re going to have to get a neighbour involved at some level I think.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yup definitely, if only to check on food/water.

FB-ATB

To those wondering if the cat will use the tunnel, a liberal application of sudocrem should help

stumpy01

In all seriousness, we have a Sureflap cat flap for our two cats and we put it in, it took them some time to get used to coming through it.

Because of the shroud that houses the microchip detector, it is quite a ‘deep’ tunnel & they were quite nervous about coming through at first.

It also makes a ‘clack’ when the solenoid releases which startled them. We ended up taking the batteries out & taping it open for a day or so, to get them used to going through it. Once they were used to that, we then stuck batteries in & dropped the flap down. They got the idea pretty quickly.

Regarding feeding while away – we have some rotating feeders which are good for 3 days if set to open twice a day (they have 6 food bays).
    We could have it only rotate once a day & it would probably still be OK, so could get away with a week away.

These are the ones we got:

rotating cat feeder

The set-up is a bit fiddly with the small LCD, but it’s OK. Just keep the instructions safe.

molgrips
    Free Member

I am a bit concerned about her getting used to going through the tunnel. We already have the feeder – it’s got a big hopper and stores tons of food.

mert
    Free Member

Make sure the lid of the hopper absolutely, 100% guaranteed, cannot be levered, hooked, clawed or bitten open.

Once went to a neighbours house to check on their darling furball to find it had managed to get into the hopper and eaten rather a lot more of the food than planned.

The hopper is now filled and then taped shut.

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

I’ve had a hole cut in my wall to fit a cat flap. Even worse, we sacrificed half a kitchen base unit to allow for the cat flap access. It’s worked really well and avoids having an ugly cat flap in a glass door.

Not sure what happens when the cat pegs it though.

ThePerfectKiss

We did just this as part of Kitchen reconfiguration.

We moved his existing SureFlap from the side door of the house, we moved the location to another side of the house (so he’s not existing straight into an open area so still feels safe), but still accessed from the kitchen and used extenders through a block and brick wall.

We designed this im, with a cupboard above the new cat flap site, so it’s neatly integrated into the new kitchen design and he has an area under the cupboard for bed and food, so it’s his new ‘place’ so to speak.

The cats 4 years old and took to it straight away, even through he has to crawl to get to and fro as it’s a mini tunnel.

Otherwise our only option would have been to include it in the glass bi fold door which is ugly and costly.

mick_r

What spooky said above – for the holiday get a plywood panel in one of the doors (very easy – just pop the window beading out) and put the catflap in that (very easy – especially if you do it with the panel flat before you fit it). Also gets the cat used to a catflap without trashing your house.

And if you do end up going the brickwork route, go easy with the SDS hammer action. What feels like knife through butter from one side probably just means you’ve blown half the brick out the back face rather than drilling a clean hole……

Smudger666

Thought this might help…..Coredrill

barrykellett
    Free Member

Put a flap in the side door to the garage for ours back in march, a week before we were away. She’s a confident outdoorsy cat but always comes home to sleep and eat. Could not get her to use the cat flap on the way in. Absolutely no way. Left her inside a few times and she will always just go out through it but refuses to go back in.

She has a wee outdoor shed box she prefers.

Stupid clever animals.

Cutting a hole in the house – that cat is never gonna use it

molgrips
    Free Member

Job done. I wish I had not lost my brick chisels as cutting a fine edge with the SDS drill was impossible. Lines all over the place as a consequence, the outside hole is very ragged. Lots of adjustments to it which took ages. Also the exterior cover is only very slightly larger than the hole you need and the drill holes are right next to the line. It’s impossible to cut bricks accurately enough and even if you did there’s only going to be mmms of material left to drill into. Anyway, sealant has filled that gap in and stuck the cover to the wall. Expanding foam to help seat it.

Not one hour after finishing, the cat has used it. She wanted to go out, my daughter blocked the door and held the flap open and she went straight out. I hadn’t even made a ramp to access the outside bit.

spooky_b329

My attempt (into garage). If outside I would have used an angle grinder to do the initial neat cuts but I didn’t want to cover everything in the garage with brick dust. Standard flap fitted into a housing that contains an intumescent curtain to maintain fire/smoke protection between garage and house. Expensive but not that bad when you cost up several tunnel sections.

leffeboy

Nice outside cover there.  I’ve got the same through brickwork but the outside looks a mess as I never got round to sourcing a nice outside cover

spooky_b329

I’m not sure it’s suitable for outside, I think their main market is flats where people want to put a flap through a front firedoor into a communal hallway.

It’s from Envirograf.com (custom cut to required size) but it’s not perfect, the screw holes are extremely close to the aperture you need (one fixing is epoxied in) and they cut the aperture for the flap I chose too high so I had to trim the top of the cat flap fascia.

revs1972
    Free Member

I wonder what Colin Fur(ze) would have come up with to suit the brief 🤔😂 I

nickc

Job done.

Cool, although, no pictures? Is disappoint.

molgrips
    Free Member

I could have taken pics of the messy exit hole, I suppose. My first time cutting walls and using an SDS drill. I think the angle grinder to start with for the neat cuts would have been a much better idea as per Spooky.

dyna-ti

I went to a great deal of trouble building an outdoor cat shed. All properly constructed the way you’d do large shed construction,60mm thick stud partition walls, internal insulation, damp proofing membrane, 3 proper windows of varying heights, a slight slope to the roof to allow cat to laze on top and clad the entire thing in shed felt. Basic cat flap at the front. Floor laid in 10mm thick foam matting

Roof hinged at one end in case of emergencies.

Installed it in the bushes in an area cat likes to hang about.

NOT USED IT ONCE

It probably cost 3 or 4 times buying an outdoor cat shed would cost due to construction methods, insulation etc

Viewing 36 posts - 41 through 76 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.