Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I need some help choosing a wet weather road bike
  • cyclepathologist
    Free Member

I’d like to keep my best bike for best. I have £1000 budget and I’d like a geared road bike that I can put mudguards on (crud mudguards so it doesn’t have to have fixings)
    I really like the look of the Genesis but Sora equiped for nearly £1k? Too dear.
    Anything else like it? I looked at Kenesis but they’re a little too CTC for me.

MrFart
    Free Member

Surly Pacer?

kiwijohn

Kona Honky Inc?

psling
    Free Member

paddy0091
    Free Member

crud mudguards are useless, get something with bosses for proper mudguards.

cp

CX bike? then you can fit proper mudguards. Usual suspects Boardman etc… But the Dolan multicross or Graham Weigh cross frame/fork deals are fantastic starting points.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

paddy0091 – Member
    crud mudguards are useless, get something with bosses for proper mudguards

They’re a good fill in for occasional use, but if you intend on getting a bike for all year round use in rubbish conditions (Like this current “summer” we’re having!) then yes, bosses and SKS FTW!

LS
    Free Member

crud mudguards are useless, get something with bosses for proper mudguards.

This ^
    If you’re doing a lot of riding in the rain get a frame that will take proper SKS or similar guards. You can get away with surprisingly little clearance for the p35 versions, I managed to shoehorn them into a Litespeed race frame with a bit of modification.

fourbanger
    Free Member
    martymac

charge filter?
    coannondale caadx?
    both tiagratransmission, both within budget.
    +1 for a cx bike for bad weather.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Although, I just looked and I paid 450 for my pomp 6 years ago, plus hub gear. I remember when OnOne were cheap bikes!

scaled
    Free Member

Genesis day 1 for me, but then i am a sucker for orange

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’d go for a Dolan Prefissio and a 105 group from Ribble or Merlin, some Ultegra wheels and EA30 finishing kit. And a pair of SKS Cromoplastic mudguards, they’re brilliant.

I have the Dolan with an old Ultegra groupset/Open Pro rims and it’s lovely.

Edit: Or get the 105 kitted version Trailofdestruction posted above… Bargain.

m1kea
    Free Member

Sod the budget and do what I did – Enigma Etape.

As my winter bike it’s been used a hell of a lot this ‘summer’.

Ti is lovely to ride on and dead easy to keep clean.

rocket
    Free Member

Depending on your size, just buy this. Job done 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I need some help choosing a wet weather road bike’ is closed to new replies.