Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I need some fun back in my biking. (Emtb).
  • ton

having serious thoughts about buying a Emtb.

reason being, is basically i need some fun back in my biking.
    i love riding bikes, all kinds, got a tourer i love. plod about on it 100 miles every week. i have a fatbike i love to ride, but i struggle to ride it at present because of a heart issue.
    so i am going to get a Emtb that i can ride while ill. and ride further and proper offroad if i get mended.

so been lookin. spent most of the day browsing E-mountainbike website.
    what a bloody minefield. never realised there were so many options. one thing i did notice is that most full sus ebikes have a rider weight limit. where the bike and ride weight must not be over a certain weight.
    so i used this as my guide. which straight away eliminated lots of options. i had made a list of five bikes i fancied. 2 of them were ok weight wise.
    so my 2 choices were a Moustache samedi trail 8. and a Orbea wild fs.
    both look bloody awesome in my opinion.

so looking for some input from Emtb riders. folk who ride Emtb all the time.
    are my choices good ? or is there something more suitable for a 20 stone rider.

thanks

kayak23

Well, I have the Wild Fs.
    It’s an awesome bike.
    The Bosch motor is really one of the best ime.

It’s a tank of a thing. Nothing much will phase it.
    Yeah, can’t see why you wouldn’t like it.
    No experience of the moustache.

martymac

I’m the same weight as you tony, and a standard bosch motor pulls me along no bother, I bought mine with the intention that it would help me get out more.
    It worked for me.
    My bike is a cube stereo, it’s a few years old now, made before they introduced these new ‘system weight’ limits. But it’s been absolutely fine.

CheesybeanZ

Friend of ours was close to 25 stone with an enlarged heart and AF , did a lot of research and bought the Whyte e150, definitely got him back out enjoying his riding plus he’s dropped a few stone .

iainc

Tony, give Dave at Sprockets in Kilmarnock a call, they sell both and he has ridden them a lot so knows the good and bad bits.

benp1

They’re fun even without a health condition. And hugely popular

Crack on!

dyna-ti

Might be an idea to join a specific EMTB forum, where they witter on about ebikes all day long. There you’ll get a better idea as theres no scope for people in your weight range.

https://www.emtbforums.com/community/

About the £5k price range will get you a good mid range bike with decent spec.At 20 stone, maybe look for the bigger battery w/h.

I got it from Love Ebikes Glasgow. Owner was the yeti UK rep, knows his onions.

julians
    Free Member

I’ve got a wild FS, its decent, rides well, relatively conservative geo compared to none e MTBs these days.

dyna-ti

For the money the moustache looks pretty amazing spec wise with a fox factory 36 and XT/SLX groupset inc XT brakes. Only thing I’d query given your weight is the 28h wheels. Can’t say that seems strong enough, probably is but something to take note of. As is the seemingly moustache branded shock. Not sure if you can fit something else- probably but it seems a bit of a weird inclusion.

Ive the Scott Genius 920 eride, which thus far has proven to be great fun. Doubt I’ll ever go back to standard bikes.

doomanic

Availability will probably be the biggest factor.

Don’t forget that max system weight includes the weight of the bike.

renton
    Free Member

I’m nearly the same weight as you Ton and have had a few ebikes over the past year or so.

Had a Whyte E150 and that was a solid bike however the rear suspension wasn’t very plush. Would definitely consider an E160 or E180. There is an E180 for sale on Facebook for 3750. 2021 model.

I also had an Orbea Wild FS. The XL was quite small even for me at just over six foot. It was also quite flexy at the rear end.

Also had a new Gen3 levo expert that was absolutely amazing. Sold it on advise of my heart surgeon (who has now changed his mind about the amount of exercise I can do)

Now have a gen3 Levo comp alloy in size S5 and couldn’t be happier. It actually feels a bit more rigid down the length of the bike compared to the carbon expert.

700 battery gives me about 25 miles over winter on trail mode.

Focus have just released a new jam or Sam that is rated for heavier riders too.

renton
    Free Member

iainc

^^^ great that you’re allowed back on bike renton, you must be kicking yourself about selling the carbon Levo..

renton
    Free Member

great that you’re allowed back on bike renton, you must be kicking yourself about selling the carbon Levo..

It is great. It does suck about the expert and I was quite annoyed when the surgeon back tracked on what he had said in the first instance. It is what it is though.

Bizarrely I feel more relaxed riding the alloy one as I was always worried about crashing the carbon and damaging the frame.

jedi

Ton, look at giant too. I had a trance e now bought a reign e bike. Fantastic things. Still ride my acoustic more though 🤩

desperatebicycle

Strange to be riding a guitar jedi 😜

Personally, I’d go for an ebike made by a manufacturer of bikes rather than an ebike made by manufacturer of ebikes. ie. not the Moustache (I mean, what a shit name! (it matters!))

I demo’ed a Haibike once and man it was crap.
    So the Orbea out of your shortlist.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.