Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I need new forks but i'm clueless…
  • bradley
    Free Member

So basically I ‘need’ new forks, I don’t want, I need.

Long story short something fell over in the garage (motocross bike, Honda CR250 to be precise) and hit the fork on my hardtail, causing a dent to one of the lowers and now I have maybe 30mm of travel and it sticks on the dent sooo yeah, knackered.

I have no idea what forks will fit on my bike how ever… Specialized Hardrock disc 2012 is the bike, anyone help? I’m looking at buying 2nd hand also.

Thanks…

scaredypants

hora, you’re using the wrong login ! 😉

scaredypants

I really don’t anything useful to add, soz

Except, might the dent push out if it’s only the lowers and not the stanchion ? – or is it deep enough to crack when pushed out ? (if there’s no bushing near the dent it might not have to be perfect inside, just “better”)

plenty of s/h forks in the world – what travel are yours currently (before you modified them)

bradley
    Free Member

It might push out…but…I’m clueless with maintenance etc, would probably reduce my current 30mm travel to 0 if I started taking them apart.

Currently 80mm travel before chucking a motocross bike ontop of them…

scaredypants

what fork is it anyway – you might be able to sell the crown/steerer bit if it’s undamaged and a common fork (maybe somebody will have buggered their stanchions and be sitting with a set of lowers that could make a fork for one of you)

chives
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a better paddock stand for a CR250 to me….

Scapegoat

Didn’t they come with an 80mm Suntour XCT fork? It sounds to me like you’ve done yourself a bit of a favour. Check the bay of fleas for a decent used Rockshox Tora. You should get a decent one home for less than £70. Your LBS should fit it for you if you aren’t confident enough to do it yourself. Measure the distance between the top of your current fork crown and the topcap above your stem clamp. That is the steerer length, and that needs to match the steerer length on the various ads. If you’re struggling give us another shout and we’ll see what we can do to help.

bradley
    Free Member

scaredy – It’s not a fork worth repairing to be honest.

chives – Yeah probably but the CR250 is an actual race bike, not even road registered so the body work is pretty battered anyhow but still should be looked after.

Scapegoat – Thanks for the help. I think I’ve done myself a favour too lol. Rock Shox XC28 TK Coil would these be ok as a replacement? I intend to get a new bike on finance at the end of March anyway so after that the hardtail will probably become redundant…

MartynS

if your interested I’ve got a set of brand new Rockshox XC32 TK coil..

these in fact…

Long story but an insurance replacement I didn’t use. Boxed, uncut steerer.

Mail me if your interested

Scapegoat

I’d personally avoid 28mm stanchions, but then I’m Clydesdale Class. See what Martyn wants for his 32’s…. they look comparable spec to the Toras.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘I need new forks but i'm clueless…’ is closed to new replies.