Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • I need knee pads – please recommend to stop more horror!
  • robsoctane
    Free Member

Just riding along and…

What are most of you wearing to stop this kind of stuff?

widge34
    Free Member

Nukeproofs. Simply brilliant

robsoctane
    Free Member

Thanks and just wish that I could show you the horror, it wont post as usual from Flikr…

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

I’ve used the rage for most of this year…never chaffe unless its a massive day,you can ride easily with them…and they work

mart
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pro. Wore them for a whole day at Afan last week. Great protection and forgot I had them on.

colournoise

661 Kyle Straits. I guess the Rage is the closest current model?

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

you’ll run that off, no problem.

midlifecrashes

Ouch, hope that’s not as nasty as it looks!

robsoctane
    Free Member

thanks all of you, will do some searching on the mentions. those knees hurt like buggery now! 😯

Northwind

I’ve got 3 pairs of Kyle Straits on the go, they are fab. Excellent protection (including the sides- lots of pads don’t have this much coverage) and they stay where they’re put, yet also not too sweaty even on monsterous south-of-france road climbs.

But I’d like to try the Scott Grenades again.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Troy Lee 5450….Superb and very very comfy!

I have demolished 2 x pairs Kyle straits….they always rip/fall to bits.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Bought some 661 Riots recently – seem good, much less bulky than the Kyle straits I had previously.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I’ve got the troy lee’s without as much shin protection as the guards above and they’re pretty damn good i reckon.

Potdog
    Free Member

I’ve used Kyle Straits for a good couple of years, but currently on Nukeproofs after the 661’s finally gave up.

I wear them pretty much 6 days a week, for about 4 hours a day and have found them both to be really comfortable, the Nukeproofs probably stay in place better than the 661’s did, but that could just be the fact the the 661’s were getting old and baggy.

Don’t think there is much of a price difference between the 661 (Rage now I think) and the Nukeproof, so not much to choose between them.

jedi

i use scott rocket knee pads. an updated version of my old faves the grenades

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I would say Nukeproofs but they fall apart within about 3 months. I’m now on Fox Launch Pros which seem just as good but should hopefully last better. The Kyle Straits I had were less protective than either the Nukeproofs or Fox Launch Pros.

StirlingCrispin

I spent the other weekend in the local hospital before getting my right knee jetwashed clean and stitched up under general anaesthetic.
    I have 661s but don’t like them. I now have some Troy Lee Designs on order from my local shop – even the shop guy wears them.

patriotpro
    Free Member

^^Them^^

Although the d30 curls up at the bottom and can dig in to your shin. That and i’ve known the d30 to take a while to soften up on cold days (sub 5 degs).

Appart from that they are decent to pedal in. I wouldn’t go d30 again tbh.

crftom
    Free Member
    proberts
    Free Member

^^^^^^ yep, I got these. Very good!!

r17anm
    Free Member

+1 for fox launch comfy and seem well made those nuke proof look good though

ask1974
    Free Member

+1 for Troy Lee. Very comfy.

flimsy
    Free Member

Having used Kyle Straits, fox launch and more recently Nukeproof; I would recommend the Nukeproof then the Kyle Straits. The Fox pads were good intially but didnt seem to last long.

If there any good to you, i have a pair of the newer Troy Lee pads (KG 4500) for sale in a medium, unused.

nosedive
    Free Member

+ 1 for launch pads, very good

MrAgreeable

Anyone using the new Endura kneepads?

robsoctane
    Free Member

Got the POC ones, thanks for all the advice. Now to mend my knees, the scabs are so tight I can hardly pedal

slowrider
    Free Member

+1 for Scott rockets. Neoprene so the Velcro doesn’t tear the pad apart. Hard shell is a must, everything else leaves you vulnerable to sharp rock strikes, including d30 jobbies. They fit rally nice and stay in place, plus have cutout over the knee cap so no friction burns.

motozulu
    Free Member

I also split my knee open a week ago. Would have loved to be able to afford the POC’s 🙁 but went on ebay and got some raceface dig pads – can’t fault em – hard shell built in, cut out over knee and neoprene with open back for airflow. Excellent kit.

andyl
    Free Member

I would advise no one to do a google images search for fox launch knee 😯

fudge9202
    Free Member

+1 for Fox Launch Pro. Super comfy you forget you have them on.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Andyl; good advice! Arrgghh!!! Poor sod that he is!

ads678

I would advise no one to do a google images search for fox launch knee

I thought I mashed my knees up badly a few years ago but mine were nothing compared to that!!

I’ve been using race face dig knee pads ever since I knackered my knees and I think they’re great. Only cost me £15 ish as well.

mudfish

Don’t wash those POCs too often or too hot, apparently it knackers the D30 stuff.

Im told it gets pretty smelly in there so maybe antibacterial cold detergent like Assos sports wash or maybe that oxi action stuff?

Still using my Troy Lee T-Bones after 3 years , comfy and good value

N

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

andyl – should have taken your advice I ended up at the thread of pics… think I’m going to have nightmares now

mikey74
    Free Member

Kali Aazis – plus they come in a colour other than black.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I switched to the Troy Lees as shown above from Kyle Straits.

Kyle Straits had been my pad of choice for years but new set started rubbing the skin off my knees after a few months weekend wear. Troy Lees have been great although they didn’t protect the top of my knee last time out when I rattled it off the bars (chain jumped off when putting full power down). Not sure if they were riding a bit low or if the padding is a bit thin on the very top.

excitable1
    Free Member

Anyone using the new Endura kneepads?

I use those. Tried loads of different ones before going with them but the Enduras were the most comfortable.

I do have to grease the back of my knees up though otherwise they rub my ferkin skin off especially if worn over tights in the winter !

I like the look of the TLD’s or the G form for my next pair but I’m not paying out again until the Endura’s are worn into the ground cus Vaseline is cheaper than new pads !

jonathan
    Free Member

Useful thread – I’ve been using Kyle Straits since I did my knee 3 years ago (for a minute I thought the “Fox Launch Knee” google hit was my knee it’s so similar! http://www.flickr.com/photos/32211118@N00/3979369197 – you have been warned)

They’ve worn pretty well and done their job numerous times, but are distinctly baggy now. The Troy Lees do look really good for my next pair – but do users miss not having straps to adjust?? Is the fit snug enough out-of-the-box?

bland

I do have to grease the back of my knees up though otherwise they rub my ferkin skin off especially if worn over tights in the winter !

I wouldnt say that was a great selling point.

Look at O’neal ones, come with std or D30 protection and they stay put and are great, used by a lot of racers as they stay put and are comfortable.

Didnt have to pull mine up once in a week in france, and unlike Endura ones, is dint have to grease my knees up to stop them rubbing! (Escitable1 – Are you for real, saying they are good but rub the skin off your knees?)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I just got some TLD 5400’s and had my first ride out today with them. I am very impressed. They are the sort of pad you can wear all day doing XC and they won’t slide down and won’t get too hot or uncomfy either. Really didn’t notice they were there, which is what I want at the end of the day.

Basically they are now an item that I will wear on all rides regardless as they are so light and discreet.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘I need knee pads – please recommend to stop more horror!’ is closed to new replies.