I need help with this one – US gymnast being hated

• This topic has 63 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by  DezB.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • I need help with this one – US gymnast being hated
  • deadkenny

I don’t know. I quite like the 6th verse of the British national anthem…

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    And like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the Queen!

😛

gears_suck

[/url]boris by gears_suck, on Flickr[/img]

Premier Icon igm
    Subscriber

Deadkenny – my views in the Union Jack are not a Scots-English thing. The English are, in this case at least, irrelevant to the Union Jack. I used to have similar nervousness when I see a green white and orange tricolour.

Of course seeing the clown above done up in UJs does soften the issue somewhat.

Or an an alternative caption “And in London, the town hangman has been sacked for attaching the noise in the wrong place”

Premier Icon richmtb
    Subscriber

Must admit I was pretty disgusted by all the outrage surrounding what was probably a totally innocent and unintentional oversight by a young woman who has done her country proud.

The racist overtones of the whole affair also struck me, I was’t surprised though.

Every country seems to have a defining social issue that becomes the common factor through which all other topics are framed.

In the UK its class
    In the US its race

Disappointing that this is still the way it is but there we are. Add in a good dose on internet misogyny and you basically have the perfect set of conditions to create what happened to Gabby Douglas

I knew a kid who’s family moved to America, he was English, but going to an American school he was basically required to do hand on heart and pledge allegiance to the flag every day or be kicked out of school.

I au paired as a naive 18 year old in Cincinnati. While waiting for a sok-ker match to start, everyone stood, faced the flag and placed their hand on their heart as the national anthem was piped in. I happily stayed seated until the woman I was watching the game with kicked my foot and said ‘stand up!’

I replied ‘Why? I’m not American’. She replied ‘yes, but you are embarrassing me.’

I stood up. Didn’t put my hand on my heart though.

dannyh

As a nation no one does empty, vomit-inducing nationalist sycophancy quite like the yanks Americans

Ok, I fixed that for you. Doesn’t make it untrue with the perjorative removed, though.

The thing that irks me is that by making it de facto compulsory to put your hand on your heart and blub your way through the Stars and Stripes, it makes the whole thing hollow and tacky. To then use non-compliance as a stick to beat someone with (barely deflecting attention away from the thinly veiled racist agenda), just makes it even worse.

And sorry, but no other nation quite does the bullshit like the US. Except maybe North Korea.

5thElefant

it makes the whole thing hollow and tacky.

The Yanks do hollow and tacky better that anyone.

tjagain

Rich – it wasn’t an oversight. As she said – she comes from a military family where you either stand to attention or salute when the anthem is played. By her standards and that of the military hand on heart would be wrong. she stood to attention.

Its a nasty mix of racism and mysogeny IMO

crankboy

From the side angle she is rubbish at standing to attention but her team mates are equally bad at anatomy. Regrettably the Wiggins Morgan exchange is said to be fake.

aracer

Where does Tony Bennett put his hand when they sing the national anthem?

Premier Icon twisty
    Subscriber

What is the etiquette with dextrocardia[1] in America? Are they supposed to raise their left hand rather than their right?

I think something this highlights is that when a Nation gets so many golds the population can get nonchalant about the effort required to win top level competition. In Singapore they are literially worshipping Jason Schooling right now because he’s just brought home their first ever gold medal, America dont’t care as much even about people returning with 20+ medals because it has become the norm for them.

[1] dextrocardia; dextro – to the right, cardio – heart = heart points to the right rather than left hand side of chest. Apparently 1 in 12000 people have this.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

dextrocardia

Can’t even be bothered to google it

dextrocardia

Why..? Who cares..? Yawn.

crankboy

Dextrocardia given it literary says right-ro-heart why would you need google ?

mikewsmith

why would you need google ?

It’s not in English?

from Latin dexter, meaning “right,” and Greek kardia, meaning “heart”

I’ve let my conversational Latin slip a little in the last couple of millenia…

Anyway it’s a country who would play the national anthem for somebody having a great dump and complain that people didn’t jump to attention.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

why would you need google ?

Well, it was 4am.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

I happily stayed seated until the woman I was watching the game with kicked my foot and said ‘stand up!’I replied ‘Why? I’m not American’. She replied ‘yes, but you are embarrassing me.’I stood up. Didn’t put my hand on my heart though.

I’m not surprised she was embarrassed, I would have thought it polite to stand when a NA is being played especially as everyone else is doing so, as a mark of respect, regardless of who’s anthem it is, no?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I would have thought so, unless you were particularly protesting about something.

mikewsmith

I’m not surprised she was embarrassed, I would have thought it polite to stand when a NA is being played especially as everyone else is doing so, as a mark of respect, regardless of who’s anthem it is, no?

In the UK/ROW the national anthem is played on special occasions. A normal sports game isn’t exactly the time you would expect to have to stand up for no particular reason other than a country feels so insecure than it needs to remind itself more than daily who they are.

Junkyard

I would stand for any national anthem but my own

Might depend on the content though but ours can **** off dont like the queen dont care for god so I am never ever going to respect that shitty song

Americans do GAS so much more than we do about this sort of thing though

look what wiggo did and everyone laughed…imagine the US reaction…does seem to me to be an insecurity thing that they need to be this jingoistic like being american is all they have in common

Trimix

I think its a crime in Thailand not to respect their anthem. Its played at the Cinema before the movies and not respecting the King is also a crime.

mikewsmith

@Trimix, that sounds like the sort of things Americans would get really pissed off about

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Thought it weird in the Olympic basketball that they had the anthems before the match. Didn’t for any other sports that I’ve seen (or the Olympics would take weeks!)

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘I need help with this one – US gymnast being hated’ is closed to new replies.