Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I need help please…retro fitting brake to Isla Rothan part 2…
  • lister

Right, did’t have the brake studs, which is why I couldn’t do this the other night, but have them now…

CAn’t believe this is causing so much hassle, I’ve fitted V brakes hundreds of times but I’ve can’t work out what to do now.
    The brake mounts have some sort of hard plastic/rubber plug in them that I need to get out before I can screw the brake studs in…but buggered if I can get them out!

They seem to have an internal thread that takes the brake bolt, but if I screw it in then I can’t pull the plug out.
    I can fit a blade between the mount and the plug, but leverage seems to just bend the plastic…I don’t want to damage the plug incase I end up leaving a completely inaccesible piece in side the mount…
    I’ve also tried to put a thin allen key in though the back of the mount and push but to no avail.

Help please! I don’t want to damage the thread in the mount and I’m impatient and don’t want to ring Isla bikes again!

Ta…thanks for reading!

lister

anyone? please…pretty please! 😉

hot_fiat

send us a pic. (you’ve got 15 mins as Mad Max is on @10)

julianwilson
    Free Member

dremel or file a slot in the plug and screw it out anticlockwise with a flat screwdriver: plugs will doubtless be rammed in real tight so kids can’t remove it and threads may be keeping them wedged in.

(if you have a steady hand and pin spanner you could do the same but drilling 2 tiny holes in the top at 3 and 9’o clock.)

julianwilson
    Free Member

…oh or file spanner flats onto the top sticky outy bit and use an (whispers) adjustable spanner.

hot_fiat

Ok, screw a corkscrew, one with a fluted thread rather than a wound thread (like a spring), into the hole in the platic. Then use the corkscrew to haul it out.

Alternatively, nibble at the plastic with some side-cutting snips untill you can pull it out with those horrificly rusty pliers that lurk in your shed.

hot_fiat

“Dremel”, “file”, “pin spanner”???

You assume this man has tools.

Imagine a toolbox bereft of anything other than a rusty 10/13mm combination spanner nicked from a volvo tool kit and some random a/f allen keys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I need help please…retro fitting brake to Isla Rothan part 2…’ is closed to new replies.