Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • I need a semi-slick tyre that…
  • the-muffin-man

…rolls fast on tarmac, towpaths and smooth railway line type trails, but also offers a moderate level of grip if I take a detour onto a bit of singletrack! Oh, and doesn’t wear out in 4 ride and not too heavy!

And I’m not sure wether fat and semi-slick is better than skinny and semi slick.

Ta!
    😀

colande
    Free Member

not helpful but you’re asking for a lot

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Schwalbe marathon

colande
    Free Member

was thinking the same schwalbe marathon maybe the marathon cross?

tinribz
    Free Member

Been pondering this myself lately, so far conti travel contact is winning over the schwalb in the reviews I’ve tracked down.

But both seem heavy.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ve got the Marathon race, they’re quite a bit lighter.

PJay
    Free Member

I like Intense System 3s. Very fast on tarmac and dry off-road (pretty lethal in the wet though). 580g but rolled much better than light Kenda Small Block 8s that felt much more grippy/draggy.

poppa
    Free Member

WTB Nano Raptor

KINGTUT
    Free Member

WTB Nano Raptor up front, WTB Vulpine rear.

colande
    Free Member

i toured on the conti travel contacts
    really great tyre, superb puncture protection,
    pulled bits of glass and small metal pin out of the tyre but never suffered a puncture.
    rolls great aswell

the side grip is only really ok on hard pack stuff nothing loose,
    definitely wouldn’t feel comfortable taking it offroad properly.

but would definitely recommend it

Eldrik
    Free Member

Geax Barro Race? 380g per tyre in the folding version, super quick on road even compared to my fast rolling Crossmarks, and OK offroad as lng as it’s bone dry hardpack.

MrTall
    Free Member

Kenda Small Block 8, choice of sizes and ticks all the boxes.
    Have the 2.35’s on my singlespeed (26″) and just put some 2″ on my 29er tonight and they seem great too.

Pretty light and roll almost as well as my slicks on tarmac.

the-muffin-man

Cheers folks, plenty to look at there!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

maxxis hollyroller 2.4

weigh a ton, but soooooooooo fast

cynic-al
    Free Member

fat and light. You don’t need much tread at all to grip if it’s not muddy
    I’d say a pliable carcass makes the biggest difference

bikerbruce
    Free Member

get some furious fred in 2.2 they are the fastest things known to man.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Kenda Short Tracker in 2.1 have served me well for the past couple of years. Wear really well and cope with a surprising amount off road.

Surfr
    Free Member

Conti Double Fighter 2s ? 1.95″ fast tread in middle but knobblies on the edge for the mud and rocks.

lovewookie

I would say try the Geax Suguaro or Hutchinson Python.

Both fast, light and pretty grippy.

I’d go for the pythons given the choice of the two.

andywhit
    Free Member

I like the conti double fighters. Very fast.

poppa
    Free Member

I would add that the Kends Small Block 8 and the WTB Nano Raptor are genuine off-road tyres. The WTB Nano Raptor rolls particularly fast because of the near-continuous centre tread, and would be my choice if I wanted reasonable rolling resistance and decent performance on dry/loose off-road trails.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I had some Double Fighters when they first came out a few years ago, they were all right on the road until you leaned into a corner too far and reached the knobs on the edge of the tread, next thing you where lying on the tarmac 😕

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I got some Conti Travel Contacts after asking a similar question, no punctures yet but they do have protection, which I guess makes them heavy – 670g I read somewhere?

Roll fast – you can put 80psi in these! I have a couple of miles of a gravel/brick/stoney loose surface to do on my commute and a short bit on grass and they are fine, not used in the wet yet though, but most of it is road which is why I wanted something like these.

Good price at merlin last time I looked?

paule
    Free Member

Not actually a semi-slick, but I put a set of Tioga red phoenix tyres on my 4x bike as the track was wet… They rolled noticably faster than the ritchey semi-slicks that were on there before (both sets of tyres run at 60psi), and have a reasonable amount of grip offroad too.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘I need a semi-slick tyre that…’ is closed to new replies.