Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • I need a new winter sport/ activity to keep me fit, help please.
  • lister

I have reached that early mid-30s time of life where I can no longer eat and drink anything I want without it affecting my weight and fitness. I need something I can do once or twice a week in the dark evenings when the kids are in bed.
    Mountain biking is a pleasure for me, not a way to keep fit, living in Pembrokeshire means I have to travel to get some decent riding anyway and there is no way I'm getting on a road bike in the dark round here.
    Gym work makes me depressed, swimming isn't possible due to shiXXy local pool not being open and things like spin classes or organised keep fit groups are hell.
    I used to play 5 aside but my knees fall off when I run now and there aren't enough local Ultimate Frisbee players to get a good game.
    What suggestions can anyone come up with?

fadda

Squash. 45 mins of intensive fartlek training. 😀

nockmeister
    Free Member

A Wii? 8)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chilli
    Free Member

Have you got an indoor climbing wall near you?I found it helps in the dark months,good for flexibility,core and upper body strength and good fun too.

colnagokid

+1 for the indoor climbing, I dont go that often but it is hard work/ good workout/ fun

duckers
    Free Member

Running.

lister

I used to play squash and badminton and enjoyed them but they both rely on finding a willing partner who is free at the same time as me.
    I'm an outdoor activities instructor so I do abit of climbing most weeks, indoor walls leave me a little cold I'm afraid.
    Can't run much due to shin spints.

Sorry to seem so negative! Keep the suggestions coming…

hot_fiat

Some sort of martial art perhaps?

lister

but, hot_fiat, i might have to spar against a 16 stone bruiser like you and that wouldn't be fun.

guess I could get a Cinq and push it up and down the road 😉

ourmaninthenorth

organised keep fit groups are hell

I was going to suggest circuit training, but since you don't like people ( 😉 ), the some solitary turbo training sounds just the thing.

Twice a week should help loads. Do a google for routines.

lister

but since you don't like people ( ),

do I know you 🙂
    other people smell, sweat and are generally unpleasant…

how loud are modern (cheap) turbo trainers? able in a house with sleeping kids?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

surely there is some local riding in pembrokeshire?

lister

@TJ, it's poor, very poor, especially at night in winter 🙁 It's really no worth the hassle and misery.

Caher

Swimming, but this can be as dull as dishwater

CaptJon
    Free Member

Rowing machine. Get a quiet one, set up a dvd – job done.

Kuco

Rowing machines are just as boring as turbo trainers ime.

specialone
    Free Member

punch bag, boxing gloves job done

lyons
    Free Member

kickboxing or similar… they wont make you spar against someone bigger or more experienced than you… , It is good fun if they do a good warm up etc, hard work.

Ewan
    Free Member

Running + head torch.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

mountain style trail fell running sort of thing you do not have to do that much and its well good even for a 44 year old with crap knees

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

mountain style trail fell running sort of thing you do not have to do that much and its well good even for a 44 year old with crap knees

CaptJon
    Free Member

Rowing machines are just as boring as turbo trainers ime.

Hence the dvd.

juiced
    Free Member

do you have a dry slope for skiing or snowbaording centre near you? I snowboard a little during the winter on dryslopes and can just arrive by myself and chat to people there. Second hand boards and gear is availbale cheap on ebay although its best to do some research and get some lessons. Great winter evening workout. It is best on dryslope when wet too. Gloves good enough for the dryslope are availble chaply at tkmaxx as are jackets ( alhough i wear jeans and a normal non technical sports jacket) . Good adrenalin buzz. Also you'll need some pads and possibly a pisspot helmet.
    People buy boards and boots, use them for a week in the mtns and then sell them. They may only be mid range but that's fine.Seroiusly I find it as spiritual as winter night rides! Once you learn to carve and have a bit of experience you will find that you use your all the core muscle groups esp your stomach muscle and legs.And you get a good adrenalin buzz and a nice calm feeling!!

Kuco

LOL I sometimes found with watching dvd's on the turbo I got to engrossed in the film and then realised i've stopped peddling.

crikey
    Free Member

So you're mid-30s, won't ride in the dark, don't like the gym, won't swim, can't run and don't like other people?

How about you keep **** moaning all winter; that should see you right. 🙄

AlasdairMc

I agree with the climbing suggestion, it helps develop the forearms which reduces arm pump when riding.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I would ask the advise of a local outdoor activities instructor …. they should be able to help you.

jimmy

climbing – Get through the first 3/4 sessions of burning forearms and push the grades.
    circuit classes – BUT find a small, friendly gym, not your mass-produced chain gyms. They are very inpersonal and dull. If you happen to be in Sheffield I really recommend fitnessclubcentral (google it).
    rowing's good – check out the concept2 winter league for motivation.

eistrar
    Free Member

I agree with fadda, squash is great for an all body physical workout.

epicyclo

How about setting yourself a training programme of eating and drinking for the first part of winter. Then do the StrathPuffer as a soloist in January.

This will give you all the exercise you need for the rest of the winter and the extra weight you have put on will serve as resistance training. Just one day of misery and it's all over and done with.

Oh, and don't worry about the moaning, everyone at the 'Puffer is moaning.

aP
    Free Member

Ride a full season of cyclocross races. They'll get you fit, your kids can watch their dad suffering, shout bizarre encouragement to everyone else and they also get to see you throwing up like a wretched dog at the end.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

why can't you road ride??

lister

Fair comments about moaning…thing is in Pembrokeshire there is very little indoor stuff to do, and I do all the outdoor things anyway. Just wanted to see if any 'new' ideas came up…

The road bike would cost me too much and the roads round here are lethal during the day never mind on a wet winter night, truely the worst drivers I've ever come across.

Thanks though. 🙂

lister

oh, and it's not that I won't swim, the pool isn't open at the times I could get there.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Just get a bloody road bike and MTFU

Commute to work on it and keep pedalling past your house on the way home before turning around

giant_scum
    Free Member

Get a pair of those cross country skis with the wheels on them! All the benefits of running without the stress on the legs.

aviemoron
    Free Member

MTFU, run/turbo/sit-ups/press ups/pull up bar/crunchies, etc, etc all do-able whilst kids asleep on dark nights.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Have you checked whether there are any masters swim clubs in the area? Often pools are booked in the evening for club use.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

road cycling? 😕

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘I need a new winter sport/ activity to keep me fit, help please.’ is closed to new replies.