Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I need a new splitting maul. Any recommendations?
  • FeeFoo
    Free Member

I’ve been using this for the last three years but now the head has broken off. I liked it but was surprised it didn’t last that long – it has had some abuse.

Drac

One of those had mine for about 5 years and it’s still going strong.

footflaps

Gransfors Bruks Splitting Maul

bigshep
    Free Member

Ditto.
    For the money it’s great IMO.
    Had one for around 5 years also.

Edit: The Roughneck one that is!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Aldi special?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im using a bnq special splitting maul . FIbreglass handle. Cost about 19 quid.

3 years in looks fine.

Aldi doing splitting maul on their specials today for 12.99

Screwfix doing forge steel fibreglass mauls for about 12 quid also.

Id put 50 p on them all being the same axe.

Toolstop will supply you with a bahco one for 45 quid – again probably the same axe but painted orange and grey – making it infinately better 🙂

Drac

Mine came from screwfix it is the roughneck one and yeah cost about £12. So after 5 years it goes tomorrow I’ll order another.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

That Granfors Bruks maul looks lovely. It’s up for £100 on Amazon though. Hmmm style or thrift?

kcal

Have a wood (hickory) shafted one, not sure of the make and it’s pissing down outside so I can’t be bothered to have a look. 6.5 lbs. Has lasted 3-4 years with minor scuffs where I was cack-handed.. Looks fine, decent weight…

It was about £35, local DIY store were running a promotional deal that made it cheaper to buy than the fibre glass model one down. Ended up being under £30.

Think it’s this one or similar – (looks like the Faithfull one too) http://www.sibbons.co.uk/product/4028/268/6_5lb_hickory_shaft_log_split_maul

trail_rat
    Free Member

Style of course …… Lassies will be throwing them selves at you if you have a gransfors bucks.

Id be wanting 30 years of trouble free splitting from it to justify the cost over the cheapos.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Lassies will be throwing them selves at you if you have a gransfors bucks.

If that comes as part of the guarantee I’m getting one! 🙂

BillMC

Lassies will be throwing them selves at you

one bit at a time?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I need a new splitting maul. Any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.