Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • I need a great travel mug. Help!
  • bothybiker
    Free Member

As above, great, not just plain old good. Must fit in standard car cup holders, hold a reasonable amount of tea and keep it hot without leaking over me while taking a sip.

*Not the style that you have to unscrew the whole lid to drink*

jimdubleyou

Mrs Dubs has got one of these,

http://store.starbucks.co.uk/stainless-steel-crosshatched-tumbler/011040369,en_GB,pd.html

Aside from it coming from Starbucks, it’s ace.

tallmart10

I got 2 of these after seeing them on Singletrack Fresh Goods Friday a while back.

http://www.trail42.co.uk/products/pack-flask

They are awesome – keep my coffee warm throughout my 120 miles Monday commute, and the other one I use for cold drinks as they fit in my bottle cage.

No drips, no leaks and easy to drink out of without leaving that horrible “I am drinking plastic with my coffee” taste you normally get with travel mugs.

And no I don’t work for them 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

The only one you need is from morrisons.

A few cognoscenti know this. The rest over pay on gimmicky tat

fasthaggis

A lovely thing^^

A badly designed and overpriced wronger^^

Notter
    Free Member

I actually prefer this Starbucks one to the one above as it’s got a screw lid and pop-locking drinking hole. Also, I’ve not found a cup holder it does not fit in yet, very well sealed, durable and good for a couple of hours of heat retention.

http://store.starbucks.co.uk/stainless-steel-grip-tumbler-473-ml-16-fl-oz/011052044,en_GB,pd.html?start=2&navid=tumblers-and-travel-mugs

I’ve tried a few over the years, Bodum (too big for some cup holders) and Contigo (way too faffy and actually not great heat retention!), Thermos (seem to have forgotten how to keep stuff warm) and this wins hands down!

benp1

Contigo was the best one I ever had, very spill proof, but wouldn’t fit brilliantly in the BMW cup holders, OK and never had a problem, but never went all the way down

Still ace though

fasthaggis

Contigo.way too faffy and actually not great heat retention!

Seriously!
    They are the only ones I have tried that don’t leak and keep things hot for ages.
    Most of the others I road tested (including the Bodum)leaked like leaky things.
    I now use the Bodum one for shed time,it’s a wee bit better than an open mug.

monde
    Free Member

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/product/citiz-travel-mug

Been through every travel mug imaginable and this is the best one I have used.

Notter
    Free Member

@ fasthaggis – just my experience, my faffy comment was in relation to the lid mechanics for the push button operation, especially cleaning it (lack of a dishwasher is accepted as the main cause of that mind you!!)

fasthaggis

Aye true,they are complicated,but tops on the newer models are easier to clean/rinse.
    I just like that you can treat them like a flask as much as a drink mug ,and throw them in a backpack without the worry of leaks.

metalheart
    Free Member

one of these:

My mate has one, I have mug envy…

It costs an arm and a leg (its Japanense AND titanium) and as a result pretty much unobtainable in the UK (I know, I’ve tried!).

Looks cool though 🙂

hairylegs
    Free Member

Massive +1 for Contigo, but if there is a downside they keep things too hot.

As fasthaggis says, they’re a mix of a flask and mug.

They’re standard issue in our family!

stumpy01

Contigo for me too – only downside is that they do tend to keep the drink too hot, if that is indeed a downside.
    My 1hr commute in the car (on a good day) doesn’t allow it to cool down enough to comfortably drink if I don’t put in a dab of cold water.

If I use it in the garage I normally leave the lid resting on top, rather than screwed on so it cools a bit faster. Still stays warm for 45 mins or so.

Just get plain stainless, if you get one. The coloured ones shouldn’t be put into the dishwasher according to the instructions (just the body, the lid is fine in there).

It even fits in a bottle cage (I think molgrips was looking for one he could cycle commute with, so I took some pics)

z1ppy

I have both the starbucks mug mentioned above, my g/f bought a crosshatch which I constantly stole, so she bought me the Stainless Steel Grip Tumbler version as the crosshatched seemed to be end of line.. I went and found another crosshatch as my journey to work is too short (20 mins) for the SS tumbler to actually cool down enough to drink the contents! Both are great mugs though the crosshatch one has an open drink hole, which (isn’t) cannot be blocked, which some ppl may find annoying.

Marge
    Free Member

Contigo is the best one I have….
    no spills and it keeps it hot as long as a flask does
    (this is sometimes a problem ironically)

maccruiskeen

Theres a version of the Contigo branded as Avex sold in a pack of two for about £12 in Costco.

The non-spill thing is a definite bonus – but being stainless steel instead of black plastic inside like some travel mugs means stuff tastes better too. Not a brilliant fit in cup holders but because it can’t spill you can just lay it down anywhere anyway.

trail_rat
    Free Member

have the changed the bodum design then ?

mine doesnt leak – even in the most vibrating, bouncey, no where to store it rollin about the floor land rover journeys – nor on treks though the pothole(big enough to swallow a minibus) struen port harcourt road system in te back of the worst vehicle known to man – the toyota hiace.

How ever i wouldnt suggest it for tea . But for real coffee on the move its wonderful – travels all over the world with me.

bothybiker
    Free Member

Contigo is looking like a winner thanks! Trail42 does look pretty cool as well.

Pyro

I’ve got two of the Camelbak Forge ones and they’re pretty damn good.

luket

Contigo here too. Very good for avoiding spillage and the whole thing (plain stainless body) goes in the dishwasher.

None of the cheapies I’ve had could handle the dishwasher.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Love this one from Starbucks Keeps things too hot (needs lid removing before drinking) and doesn’t leak in a bottle cage.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgj7vLDe5_SoTgfdavVVDNt-bLSVJZLrU-MyKeNO2Nbq6bInGb

CountZero

Stoner – Member
    The only one you need is from morrisons.

A few cognoscenti know this. The rest over pay on gimmicky tat
    THIS!
    Who on earth wants to pay £12 or more for some fancy flask when the Morrison’s ones cost £3.99!
    They’re chuffin’ brilliant, keep hot tea hot enough to still be drinkable after six or seven hours, and the same for cold.
    I’ve been using them for a few years after I saw them recommended on here, and I’ve bought them as pressies for friends. All stainless construction, and a nifty lock-down lid with drinking lip, there’s no need to spend two-three times the price when these work so well.

I posted this photo on an STW thread two years ago, still using these flasks, although my original one got dropped lid down on a concrete floor and the lid broke.

bonchance
    Free Member

Camelbak one wins on simplicity for me

Contigo seems to bind or leak (just a little) from time to time.

Both good – but the mech in the Camlebak is plain to see and pretty simple.

Contigo one I have the moving parts are in your drink.

Both good though- Contigo looks slicker (can a cup have such a quality?)

ps Camelback is the ‘Forge’. The carrying eye is kind of handy, but looks clunky on first sight 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

If I ever get to the stage where I ‘need’ a travel mug I hope against hope that I have sufficient of my faculties intact to be able to end my life there and then.

I thank the Lord that I grew up at a time when constant suckling at some beverage was not considered important or necessary.

I had cause to chastise some young fellow who turned up at work carrying one of those ridiculous things after he said ‘But I’m no use to anyone until I’ve had my coffee’.

‘Get up a bit earlier then and get that thing out of my sight.’

DrP

I’ve just ordered two of those trail42 mugs as suggested. One for hot, one for cold. I hope they make the hot/cold models clear…wouldn’t want to mix them up..

DrP

trail_rat
    Free Member

wow – and i thought i had boss issues with kidnapping being an acceptable form of strategy to deliver.

It seems crikeys sub ordinates have bigger issues.

sweepy
    Free Member

I recently got one from tesco for four quid, branded summit. Leak proof, holds heat and fits holder.

stumpy01

crikey – Member

If I ever get to the stage where I ‘need’ a travel mug I hope against hope that I have sufficient of my faculties intact to be able to end my life there and then.

I thank the Lord that I grew up at a time when constant suckling at some beverage was not considered important or necessary.

I’ve never thought of mine as a ‘travel’ mug. It’s just an insulated cup so I can take a cup of tea into the garden/garage without it going cold in 2 mins.
    I use it in the car every now & again too, so I guess that makes it a ‘travel mug’ on occasion.

Pyro

I don’t ‘need’ them, but if I brew a pot of coffee of a morning and there’s some left over, it makes more sense to take it with me in an insulated container than leave it to go cold and waste it.

Also makes winter weekend mornings going kayaking a darn sight more pleasant – I can stand around fully kitted up and sup a nice warm brew while I watch hungover university freshers faff about endlessly getting dressed before we finally get on the river. The Forge mug can then sit in the bottle holder in my boat for if I get a bit chilly watching the inevitable million swims.

(I’m with you on chastising the “I’m no use without coffee” crew though. My response to a muppet at work saying that was “And what makes you think you’re any more useful with it?”…)

mlpinto
    Free Member

We have a couple of those Bodum mugs and find they are great – keep drinks very hot (assuming they start out hot) and no leaks at all. As a bonus one of them has a cafetiere attachment which works pretty well too.

geoffj

Crikey +1

I caught one of my team eating porridge out of a food flask at his desk the other morning.
    In you’re own time please sonny! 👿

CountZero

Bugger working for somebody with as many issues as crikey! I used mine at work for the very simple reason I’ve not had a desk job for the last eleven years, and having to keep going to the nearest kettle to make a drink was a pain when a mug of tea went cold after twenty minutes of not being drunk because I was too sodding busy actually doing my job to keep picking it up and drinking it, unlike your average desk jockey!
    As stated, I could make a flask at 8am, and still be drinking from it at 2-3pm, and I think it could be argued that everybody has an absolute right to be able to drink fluids during the day, without some miserable tyrant claiming otherwise.
    I now drive cars for a living, working up to 17 hour days, do you honestly think that being able to take a drink during that time is unreasonable?
    Jackass. 🙄

spooky_b329

I got the Bodum one, like it lots although it does dribble if it falls over. Suspect I’ve over-tightened it. Drinks stay hot for hours. Wife has one as well, turned out it dents easily (when a horse knocks it on the floor continually) and when it got left in the stable it turned into a toy to be kicked around and the silicone band was destroyed…so its rather scruffy 🙂

I looked at the £12 Morrisons one, but who wants to drink with a chuffing big lid 3mm from your forehead?! From memory, I think it falls forward when you raise the mug too?

Monde, is that Nespresso one fairly leak proof?

crikey
    Free Member

Another status badge for the chattering classes.

paul4stones

Who on earth wants to pay £12 or more for some fancy flask when the Morrison’s ones cost £3.99!

Pretty sure my Waitrose one was £3 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘I need a great travel mug. Help!’ is closed to new replies.