I need a cheap 36 hole disc rear hub – any ideas?

Home Forum Bike Forum I need a cheap 36 hole disc rear hub – any ideas?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I need a cheap 36 hole disc rear hub – any ideas?
  • Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

As the title really, my cx bike has a horrid set of parralax or whatever they were called straight pull hubs. The rear is goose’d so I want to build the decent rim onto a new hub. Don’t want to spend muchos mulla, the cheaper the better but I’d like to avoid cone a la shimano if poss

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

sjs cycles Halo Combat meets your requirements and is £29.99 save for the loose bearings…

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

What is it about the hub that’s “goosed”? You can replace Shimano cones if you need to.

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

Cool – thanks tomaso, that’s on the list

The freehub isn’t great but the general build it rubbish. They’re straight pull spokes on what is a rubbish hub anyway. Because its being used for touring I’d like something reliable and fairly ‘standard’ if you see what I mean.

jimc101

What’s wrong with the rear? freehub or spokes? if freehub, this can normally be replaced much cheaper than a new wheel, if spokes, this indicates you have a factory wheel as Shimano don’t produce hubs with straight pull spokes except for full wheels anymore.

The Halo linked above is still cup and cone, you will need to spend a lot more to get a good cartridge bearing hub.

If you currently have straight pull spokes, do you intend on re-using them (hopefully not) as this with limit what hubs can be used.

Premier Icon flange
    Subscriber

Jimc101 – no sir, new spokes too. I’m just pricing up the cost of a new rear wheel. The rims are 36 hole which obviously limits what hubs I can get. Superstar can custom build a new hub on a rim of my choice for £122 which seems the sensible option. I just enjoy building wheels..!

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

A regular Deore hub would fit the bill for £20 odd

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I need a cheap 36 hole disc rear hub – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.