Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • I name this island – West Cumbria
  • discbrakediva
    Free Member

OK, I replace the request for a 4×4 with a one for a boat please….
    Now the bridges are gone throughout the area its getting a little more surreal by the minute. Its going to be a very difficult few months with transport links totally messed up. One of my nurses faces a 40 mile round trip from her parents to her boyfriends, when they live 2 miles apart as the crow flies.
    The picture above only adds to the realisation that we have been lucky really that more people haven't perished.
    Boxelder – I trust you only had the rumoured '1 handbasket per person' in Sainsbury's earlier 😉

boxelder

I shopped in Co-op and will try even harder to shop at smaller local shops from now on – they'll need all the help they can get.

discbrakediva
    Free Member

I couldn't get in the Co-op earlier this morning!I obviously must look like a looter 😀 But yeah, absolutely the small businesses need everyones support from now on, hope the community will pull together like they have over the last 3 days. On the plus side, the Christmas tree is still up!!

stoney
    Free Member

Boxelder!

Where is that bridge and white house. I lived in Cockermouth for 4 years befor coming back to Keswick.

I really do feel for those in town as we used quite a lot of the shops on the main st, (we found Sainsburys too expensive !!!)

We thought it was bad here initially… simply devastating 😥

boxelder

It's the main bridge in Low Lorton – near Winder Hall and 100m up from The Wheatsheaf – goes over the Cocker to the Thackthwaite road.

stoney
    Free Member

Cheers!

crazy-legs

I did a ride yesterday on the cross bike from Staveley over the fells to Newby Bridge then up through Grizedale. Mix of on and off road then out at Clappersgate and round into Ambleside. The Wateredge Inn had become the Middleofthelake Inn – there was a drowned sheep floating against its ground floor windows. The whole lower road and a couple of car parks were flooded to about 3-4ft although I did see one of the AA 4×4 recovery vehicles plough straight through it, water streaming over the bonnet.

Saw quite a few stranded cars but what was most surreal was how quiet it was. Grizedale Visitor Centre was completely closed, there wasn't a soul around. Ambleside, normally so busy on weekends was virtually deserted and even the Wheelbase car park in Staveley was only about 1/3rd full; normally you can't move in there by weekend lunchtime.

Dobbo

There's a fund set up to help those who are suffering and need finacial help in the area, the link if you feel you want to help is Cumbria Flood Recovery Fund

polarisandy
    Free Member

Good point Dobbo.

There is also this lot
    mountain rescue england and wales

and these
    rnli

Smee
    Free Member

Saw this on the BBC site and thought it was pretty funny. Midnight solo paddle on the Nith at Dumfries. 😀

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Been out to inspect one of our pumping stations today – it's fecked. My father is out at a couple down in Lancashire too, and we have had a call from up near Cockermouth to go and inspect a system up there too.

Given that it is still the weekend, tomorrow I think it is going to go mental. We have been quietish, but with enough work coming in, through the recession – I suspect that we are going to be run off our feet over the next few months though. Going to have to replace many, many control panels, power supplies and possibly damaged pumps/treatment plants…. We have a fair amount of plant installed in the worst hit areas, plus the rest of the county has been hit hard and will have a lot of repairs required.

It's going to be the same for other companies in the area – there is going to be so much needing done and only so many people to do the work… it's going to take months/years to put everything back in order again I suspect. What worries me is the impact this is going to have on the wider economy of Cumbria – there is just so much damage!

boxelder

Got into work today to find that PC Bill Barker has three kids in school, and a niece. As Workington is out of catchment, it hadn't occured to me. I've taught two of the kids, and will teach his niece this afternoon. They're lovely – bright, modest, down to earth and hard working. Remember talking to him now at parents evening – you sometimes meet parents and think that it's no wonder their kids are so nice.
    🙁

amodicumofgnar

The cumbrians seem a lot less het up about everything that's gone on than the cornish were a couple of years back. Is it just there's fewer incomers or northerners take more of the long view? Rothbury last year – same calm attitude.

devs
    Free Member

Love the pic of the canoeist. A man after my own heart. Have done some some solo night rides down hairy stuff in the snow just because it was there and the opportunity couldn't be missed but my fave was a moonlit ski in Saalbach. Totally spur of the moment impulsive lunacy because it looked nice at the time and would be tracked out the next day. Nearly ended up in a stream but managed to jump it at the last second. The feeling you get at times like that is second to none. I'd even put it ahead of podger given the choice. 🙂

sam-r
    Free Member

the 2004 Boscastle floods were, in comparason, not that bad: no one died and it is not a local economic/social hub (e.g. Launceston). Of all the affected owners/proprietors interviewed in the media not one was local, i.e. had bought into an ideal (money spinner?) which may explain the perceived disparity in reaction vs. Cumbrians. The floods in Sheff, Hull & Gloucestercestershire in '07 were comparable to this.

mt
    Free Member

There a folks still in temporary accommadation still from the 07 floods, it's going to take some time to sort things out. I do really feel very sad for those that have lost their homes. Also I wonder how the family of the dead policeman will manage, feel as thoufh I should be doing something.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Also I wonder how the family of the dead policeman will manage, feel as thoufh I should be doing something.

They will be well looked after. Polis are very good when death "In service" happens.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I've just had a text from the mrs – the Greta has burst it's banks in Keswick again. It's just the park side at the moment but is close to the top of the flood bank at Crosthwaite rd, (and it's still raining) 🙁

crazy-legs

There's some quite spectacular photos here:
    http://www.stridingedge.net/Walks/2009/11.November/20.11.09.htm
    and
    http://www.stridingedge.net/Walks/2009/11.November/21.11.09.htm

These are from much further South – Ambleside/Coniston/S end of Grizedale which (by comparison) isn't as bad as Keswick and Cockermouth. I was riding round these roads on Saturday – the Swan Hotel/Newby Bridge and the Wateredge Inn and that blue Fiesta in the ditch you can see in the pics, I saw first hand.

The whole place was eerily quiet, hardly a soul around. It's horrible though – they put up with similar this time last year now it's the same again, all those places that were refitted, repaired and rebuilt are underwater again. 🙁

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘I name this island – West Cumbria’ is closed to new replies.