Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)
  • I name this island – West Cumbria
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

This is what cockermouth looked like last night
    (From Telegraph)

I used to live on the first floor just to the left of the picture, glad I moved

Dobbo

Dont tell me The Bush has been flooded 🙁

MussEd
    Free Member

You'd have been ok on the first floor surely though?

IanMunro
    Free Member

How come we haven't seen simonfbarnes leading a herd of bikes through this yet?

khewett
    Free Member

anyone live near Flookburgh (Moor Lane way) know what its like at the moment??

Where we live but are away at mo

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sorry to report but I think the bush may be soggy, on the plus side might not have to watch England being mashed by NZ tomorrow

firestarter
    Free Member

anyone know the conditions in glenridding and should i drive via kirkstone pass way from windemere or from a66 to penrith then down to ullswater. Cheers anyone 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

BBC travel page linky probably avoid anything with Lake in the name

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

The Police were saying not to use any bridges today either… which is a bit of a bind. I think that means I can go to Barrow, but that's about it!

So… another day at home then! Will go and check out Spark Bridge later on, see if the water has gone down and if their pumping station still works….

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

How come we haven't seen simonfbarnes leading a herd of bikes through this yet?

we're due to ride from Newbie Bridge on Saturday – I understand that's underwater at present 🙂

Dobbo

Water levels have dropped a huge amount, fields that were flooded yesterday can be seen again!

boxelder

The Police were saying not to use any bridges today either..

Don't try to use the bridge in Lorton:

There was a land rover parked on the middle of it last night!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A66 seems to be still closed my GF is trying to get here but being turned around as they try and get the cars out of the dual carrigeway

mikewsmith
    Free Member

where is the land rover from the bridge?

crazy-legs

where is the land rover from the bridge?

2 miles downstream, upside down in a swamp!

Daffy

Has anyone else seen the pictures of Northside Bridge?! OMG! it's all gone!

firestarter
    Free Member

anyone know where green gate junction is by ullswater im meant to be going to glenridding in the morning and a592 is closed from pooley bridge to green gate junction but i cant find out if thats before or after glenridding. cheers for any info or links. thanks mick

ChrisE
    Free Member

The bridge 200m to the west of Northside bridge is, sorry was, the C2C

C

cuckoo
    Free Member

Keswick had around 60mm rain today between 09 am and 09 pm…that's less than half that Gloucester had in the floods there a couple of years ago.

Yes but parts of the catchment area have seen over 300mm in 24 hours (an English record) double the amount in Gloucester a couple of years ago.

Daffy

Yeah Navies bridge is also gone the main CTC route. I lived in Workington for 25 years and have never seen anything even approaching this level of rain…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lorton Valley

boxelder

It's the speed/power of the water that's impressive – no opportunist canoeists out on these floodwaters – stand back in awe.

Our babysitters corsa was parked next to the Land Rover on that bridge!
    crazylegs – good guess, but it's only about 100m downstream, and ironically, almost back in the owners garden.

boxelder

The road I should take to work

The little beck by the village green

wwaswas

"Singletrack HQ was cut off from the rest of Yorkshire yesterday"

Surely it should be;

"Singletrack HQ surrounded by water, Yorkshire isolated"

Stoner
    Free Member

boxelder – I can only see red boxes for your pictures…

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

[now fixed – Mod]

Dobbo

Just had a spin in to Keswick, I like the way the Tesco lorry didn't quite make it past Booths!

The river Greta towards Crosthwaite Road from High Hill.

The boat house Derwent Water.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

[now fixed – Mod]

No it's not.

Stoner
    Free Member

nope still knackered for me. and ive done ctrl+f5

Dobbo

boxelder 's pics:-

Hope that's not your house mate?

boxelder

No, not ours. Funnily enough most of the buildings here are old and built with this in mind (to an extent). The white one in the background, that the beck's heading for survived with some water in a back kitchen.

The BBC phoned up before, because I'd sent them some pictures (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/8368999.stm). Bit of a bizarre moment, as I was talking to them, watching a mate live on the TV and listening to a Sea King hovering overhead.

Just back from Cockermouth, where they've shut Sainsbury's to use the big car park as an emergency services base. I suspect they know there's more to come. As I said before, the sheer force of the water's quite frightening. The town will take a long time to recover I reckon, with most businesses on the Main St, which had 6' plus of water (flowing at a fair pace).

Thoughts to the family of that policeman. Tragic.

notlocal
    Free Member

Mate lives (lived?) Between the bowling green and river @ Cockermouthn He'd just finished his ground floor after earlier flooding. Called him last night when he said his house was 8 feet deep!
    Sympathies to the family of the PC swept to his death.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nice to see the people in the Sheep n Wool centre interviewed, one woman going well weve had floods before you know just a foot or two but nothing like this.

Seems very calm and restrained in town nice to see.

Just waiting for some friends to make it from Kendal, they got to Ambleside to be turned back should be here soon (I home) if not bit pot of curry going first come first served top of Lorton Valley, anybody needs any help Cockermouth side let me know we are warm & dry and have space. Mail should be in profile

boxelder

The BBC finally recognise my artistic genius:

Dera Andy

Thanks very much for sending in your picture. Just to let you know that we have made it the Picture of the Day on the website – link here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/default.stm

Just click on the small image on the right to reveal the full picture.
    Thanks again for sending it in.
    Kind regards,

Steven Williams
    BBC News

Shame about the spelling!!

😉

discbrakediva
    Free Member

Blimey, what a crazy 24hrs! Got to say top effort to all the emergency services, coastguard, mountain rescue, RSPCA in boats etc, etc who have invaded Cockermouth to try and get it back to some kind of near normality. Have to take your hats off to these guys wading round in dry suits all day and night, fishing out people and animals. Thoughts go out to the family and friends of the police officer who went down with the bridge.
    Who knows what tomorrow brings…..does anyone have a 4×4 I can steal for the weekend (I'm a vet who might get called out and drive a 306, eekk!!)

boxelder

does anyone have a 4×4 I can steal for the weekend (I'm a vet who might get called out and drive a 306, eekk!!)

You've got a mountain bike ain't you?

discbrakediva
    Free Member

Nice thought but might have a bit of a balance issue with a calving jack on a MTB….

RustySpanner

Hope everyone OK at the mo, thoughts are with you.

We were up at the Middle Ruddings hotel in Braithwaite last weekend for a climbing club do: Had a drive out to the Old Vicarage at Lorton on Saturday (home to a very memorable holiday about 20 years ago) and had an interesting drive to Keswick via Watendlath over (an even then semi- flooded) Honister.

Spent a pleasant hungover Sunday watching the duathlon at Whinlatter and planned to come back and ride the trails before Christmas.

Not sure if any aid/help set up just yet, but please post on here there's anything we can do: Just think, if only ten people contribute £15.00 we can send you an On One frame 😀

boxelder

Now the schoolboy excitement (for me anyway) has gone, it feels strange. Went into Cockermouth for shopping today – only one way in. Brown was in town, the army had arrived, scores of folk in rescue kit and lots of confused looking locals staring at what was going on. It's a traditional Cumbrian market town, with most shops and businesses on the Main St. They're all going to be shut for quite a while. Spoke to the guy who lives in the white house in the pic of the collapsed bridge above here:

They knew it was going to flood, so lifted everything to around three feet and went to bed. They were woken by the piano tipping over and then the water blew their windows in, filling the house to over 4 feet. They were stuck upstairs for about 24 hrs, without power, light or water. They heard the bridge go (20m away) at about 2am.

People are very stoical about it all. I'm amazed there was only 1 death.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘I name this island – West Cumbria’ is closed to new replies.