Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • I name this island – West Cumbria
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Keswick is a boat ride away, Floods to the north, Floods to the south sea on the west.

At least we have some brewerys this side of the water cant be all bad. So long as that tw*t Brown doesnt come to survey the damage we should al be OK

5thElefant
    Free Member

Blair looks like he could have some time on his hands. Fingers crossed eh?

boxelder

Where are you Mike?

senorj

Just spoken to me grandad – in Little Broughton
    In 80 years he's never seen it so bad.

keswick looks grim on bbc.

j.

stoney
    Free Member

Yip it`s grim allright (im i town BTW)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I'm 2 mins out of Cockermouth towards Whinlatter and importantly up hill, will wait till the morning and see how it compares with the last floods, never been cut off from Keswick before, my missus is was coming home and shes staying in Penrith now, one of my mates is off round Keswick pubs and cury house as he cant get back. Why cant I be stuck in the pub……….

stumpyjon

We were in Gisburn forest today, a bit damp but looks like we got off lightly compared to you guys in Cumbria. Mind you Singletrack HQ was cut off from the rest of Yorkshire yesterday and my normal route to Gisburn was under water.

boxelder

Singletrack HQ was cut off from the rest of Yorkshire yesterday

D'you think they noticed?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

How is it down your end Stoney – we've probably got some refugees from Crosthwaite Road coming to stay this evening. Poor buggers 🙁

geoffj

****! Anyone in kendal? Has the river burst it's banks yet? Mrs j was down there this am. I'm in sunny londonium 🙁

discbrakediva
    Free Member

Its certainly interesting up here! I also appear to have an amphibious car, thank god as I set out on call from work up Lorton valley. Had to turn round after seeing 2 cars stuck ahead of me
    Cockermouth main street would appear to be the 'new' river Derwent!
    And Jennings brewery has also flooded….

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

The putting green………..NO………..

stoney
    Free Member

Hi there PT….How are you feelin.

We are OK here, the river has to come a long way before getting here and the park is a lot lower than us and yourselvs… We should be OK.

Gotta feel for those on Crosthwaite rd, second time in 4 years ❗ 😥

Edit….I forgot to mention that earlier on i had a look @ the lake and on the way back i noticed some fellas in Hope park "Pitch n Put", i kid you not they were chest deep 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

one plus side is a transit is much better in floods than many small cars!!

I think it is probably possible to get round most of the lakes in a kyak with out getting out at the minute

PhilChap

Kendal is staying afloat at the moment. Burneside and the North end has seen some flooding but the Southern end of town is OK at the moment. The Kent has dropped slightly near me since this afternoon but with 6" more rain forecast for tonight I may have to think about moving the bikes out of the shed as it's almost on my lawn.

Dobbo

What is the state of Crosthwaite Road then, have houses been got, anyone actually seen it round there? Defo hope not.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Braithwaite village was a river this afternoon,as was the a66! 😯

wonnyj
    Free Member

I'm visiting the Lakes this weekend!

What's is like in Ambleside at the moment? Coming on the train with my bike, so probably biking from Windermere to Ambleside to meet my mates at a cottage we're renting.

Do-able or silly?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

He he – Ambleside was cut off from the outside world a while back, with more rain tonight it is going to depend on how quick it all drains away I think….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

oh bugger it raining harder again, i'm off to fit water wings to the van and the bike. Anybody got a snorkel for a transtit

gwaelod
    Free Member

New Met Office/Google Earth Rainfall Radar thingy

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

Rain should be stopped by Friday afternoon in the Lakes.

Keswick had around 60mm rain today between 09 am and 09 pm…that's less than half that Gloucester had in the floods there a couple of years ago.

Man up northerners 😉

Oh aye…and don't walk in floodwater…draincovers/manholes frequently get removed by force of water, if you fall down one you'll never get out.

Floodwater is also very polluted with raw sewage.

Keep an eye on any neighbours that may need some help too.

Good luck

Andy_K

Not too bad here on the coast/egremont area. Everyone (inc. me) got sent home early from Sellafield today too 🙂 Oh how I enjoyed riding past all the exodus traffic jams! 😆
    Duddon valley impassible apparently too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nice Andy, we ran from Vertex before they all clogged the roads, no big floods your way? It was smashing into the walls in whitehaven today

stoney
    Free Member

Dobbo,

Yes, Crostwaite rd is underwater as is High Hill (main rd out to the west)

Our end of town is Ok @ the moment!!!!

boxelder

Just back from recce around ours (Lorton). Went out about 9pm to check on folk in the village and passed a stranded car. Passed it again on the way back and noticed someone in it. The guy sat in there was soaked, shoeless and half pissed. He could barely talk for shivering, but he described that he'd submerged his car at 2pm by trying to drive up the closed road and sat in his car for a while, 'til all the electrics went. He got out and got washed off his feet, losing socks and shoelaces in the process?? A passing tractor dragged him out at 3pm and left him where I found him at 9.45pm. Presumably he'd been sat, in soaking wet shirt and trousers, for nearly 7 hours, with the rain pissing through a stuck down window, drinking Glen something. Said he was going to sleep in the car, but then realised he was more than chilly. He'd called a mate, but didn't know where he was, so couldn't give directions. Anyway, I explained to his mate (trying to reach him in a 4×4) where he was and brought him into ours for a warm brew and to get warmed up by the log burner.
    Daftest thing was that he was sat 20yds from a house, but didn't want to trouble them!
    They've all just left in the Landy to try to get back to Penrith.
    Sense ain't as common as it once was clearly.

wonnyj
    Free Member

maybe I'll stay home this weekend then

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Gwaelod – you aint got topography down there – everything off the lumpy bits falls into the valley in these parts 😉

I was paddeling in the floods earlier on, full aware of the sewage issue since I was trying to turn off the power to a sewage pumping station!

No idea what tomorrow is going to bring, not caught the news/weather tonight. I am guessing probably more water falling down as yet though!

gwaelod
    Free Member

RobS

Unofficially it looks as if Honister might have broken the UK record for wettest 24hrs, will be confirmed or otherwise tomorrow am.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Hillary Ben is on his way – we are all saved!!!!

Daffy

Gaylord – My frinds live on Main st in Cockermouth and while 60mm of rain doesn't sound like much, they're now stranded on the second floor of their house with the first currently under 4 feet of water.

My friend is trapped with his disabled wife and a friend who SWAM in to help them!

I don't think they need to be told to "man up"

Daffy
    polarisandy
    Free Member

Penrith today

And last time.

polarisandy
    Free Member

It's terrible up here, the weathers bad and the riding is shit.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Polaris – is that near Tirril?

polarisandy
    Free Member

Not too far away, eamont bridge

Dobbo

And it's stopped!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep looking dry now, my mate is trying the A66, made it through the dual carrigeway just trying the rest not (Do not follow him its a bit dicey)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

polarisandy – Member
    Penrith today

Your pics show EXACTLY why I'll never, ever buy a house near a river, or on the same level/floodplain of the nearet river. 🙁

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I'd better give my aunt in Aspatria a bell tonight. What tyres…?

Dobbo

your pics show EXACTLY why I'll never, ever buy a house near a river

Ditto. Houses by a river used to be a real premium, now they must be watching to prices plummet, that's all over the UK, even places with no history of flooding.

I remember Louis Theroux doing a Paul Daniels program when the Thames came up to his door, so every cloud has a silver lining I suppose 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘I name this island – West Cumbria’ is closed to new replies.