Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I miss the Cold War
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

Not the whole chance of being vaporised along with most of the planet bit.

The espionage films were so much better!

Currently watching The Hunt for Red October?

Do you miss the decades long stalemate war that pitched East v West, or even just the films of the 50s to 90s?

shermer75
    Free Member

Lucky for you that we’re heading into another one then! 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

Silver linings and all that then.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s OK, we can remake them all once we forget who won

bikebouy
    Free Member

No I don’t miss them in the slightest. I think you are wired up incomplete.

The only sustainable development from the Cold War was the ability to take Science further towards a greater understanding of how to kill more people more effectively without destroying the inanimate buildings Man built.

Enjoy the film, it’s pretty low rent rubbish at best.

andrewh
    Free Member

Loved it. Grew up in Lincolnshire, loads of RAF bases there and the USAF were still around too.

Regularly got Tornadoes, Harriers, Jaguars, F15s AWACS etc over the house, very, very low on occasion. A special treat was to go to the bombing range at Wainfleet and watch (and listen!) to the A10s

As a 6yr old I could tell from the noise if it was a Harrier coming or not, couldn’t really tell the others apart, guess something to do with it’s engine nozzles makes it sound different?

Since the cold war ended we just don’t get the same number of aircraft flying about, shame.

Remember the wall coming down, I was 8, they made a lot of fuss about it on the telly but I didn’t really get the significance then. Would much rather have watched Inspector Gadget than the news…

slackalice
    Free Member

Let’s also not forget that the end of the Cold War meant that we had a lot of very clever people no longer required in the MoD who were then ushered into new jobs in the City.

Which of course meant that traditional and established banking practices were thrown away and numbers became, numbers. Along with mathematical debt recycling. Which of course went exceedingly well for the masses.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bond films were better with sexy Russian spies in the cold war.

Cletus

https://youtu.be/MrHoMSRZOS4

I grew up in the 80’s and remember thinking that life was pretty pointless as we would all end up as radioactive ashes as per the Threads clip above.

Not sure that films were better in the 80’s – television certainly wasn’t

edhornby

start reading John Le Carre in chronological order – you’ll see how the end of the cold war slowly becomes the catalyst for uncontrolled capitalism and also naked theft (sometimes allied but not always)

Murray

I don’t miss the cold war. I don’t miss the dirty proxy wars in Africa and Latin America with Cuban troops paid for by the USSR vs locals and mercenaries paid  for by the CIA. I don’t miss the risk of someone starting WW3 by accident.

The West’s handling of the fall of the USSR was atrocious. EU funds earmarked for rebuilding Russia ended up going to pay Western consultants staying in nice hotels in Moscow and St Petersburg. London banks gratefully accepted money stolen from Russian people.

Now we have ultra nationalism in Russia, unchecked robber baron capitalism in the USA and a Europe that’s doing the right thing for it’s people. It’s still not perfect by any means but better than it was.

Shame there are no Vulcans flying down Welsh valleys though.

richmtb

Give me a ping Vasily.  One ping only

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>

I don’t miss the cold war. I don’t miss the dirty proxy wars in Africa and Latin America with Cuban troops paid for by the USSR vs locals and mercenaries paid  for by the CIA. I don’t miss the risk of someone starting WW3 by accident

</p><p>Have you been hiding in a bunker for the last few years? Locations may have changed but it’s still very much business as usual.</p><p></p>

hols2
    Free Member

Some films were better than others.

simon_g

I play quite a lot of Twilight Struggle, both the board game (when a similarly-afflicted mate and I both have 4+ hours free) and on the iPad. Worth getting into if this interests you. It’s not the last word in historical accuracy but it’s given me plenty of stuff to go and read more about.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I don’t miss the cold war. I don’t miss the dirty proxy wars in Africa and Latin America with Cuban troops paid for by the USSR vs locals and mercenaries paid  for by the CIA. I don’t miss the risk of someone starting WW3 by accident.

I do – it kept Putin and his KGB lunatics too busy to consider meddling in our democracies.

The West’s handling of the fall of the USSR was atrocious. EU funds earmarked for rebuilding Russia ended up going to pay Western consultants staying in nice hotels in Moscow and St Petersburg. London banks gratefully accepted money stolen from Russian people.

Nahhhh, what was atrocious was western betrayal in Poland and Czechoslovakia.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

The Cold War?

Iceland Vs Farmfoods??

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I miss the Cold War’ is closed to new replies.