Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)
  • I might be about to buy an Audi…….
  • iainc

Karoq is a great car and good on PCP deals with Skoda contribution. We got a Q2 a few months back, which is same platform, with the 1.0 TSI engine and it is very good, we’d have gone for the Skoda and saved £20 a month of we could have sourced one.

dantsw13

Any Octavia scout drivers?

LD
    Free Member

Aye as above nice car, shouldn’t give any bother for your 4 years. I got one vs Passat because it was cheaper with various dealer contributions at the time. 2.0lt tdi ultra is great for me, plenty power and 50mpg if I drive it nicely. Only £30 road tax but that may have changed.
    Get the retractable tow bar if you can, it’s fantastic for hanging bikes off and fully hidden when tucked away.
    It’s a big heavy car so thirsty if you accelerate hard and a bit hungry on front tyres but no other major downsides that I’ve found. Dealer service has generally been pretty good to excellent, markedly better that Skoda IME.

nevisthecat
    Free Member

If you go for a 6 or 8 cylinder model the Quattro uses a Torsen system so it is permanent 4 wheel drive.

4 pots use a Haldex based system but it’s best in class

dantsw13

LD – I can promise you nothing goes through tyres like my XC90!

dantsw13

My original quote from Audi was for a 1.8 Petrol A6, as that was the one that jumped out a great deal on Lings (seems a good 1 stop shop for comparisipons) but with the tech pack and tow bar it will be a factory build so 12-14 weeks.
    I’m waiting for prices for a Tdi and a Quattro. If they have one in stock then it will be 2 weeks and they will allow me to fit an aftermarket tow bar.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dan I am a bit old school but 1.8 petrol in a big car like an A6 I struggle to think its enough. I noticed when playing with configurator app (excellent) that most quattros are the big diesel engines

Carwow is good, my mate used it to get 12% off a Q7 – can play dealers off against each other

EDIT: also if the car is going to be facelifted why not have a search of demonstrators or 1-2yr old too ?

crankrider
    Free Member

dantsw13 – Member

My original quote from Audi was for a 1.8 Petrol A6,

The current A6 looks like a lovely motor but over £18k sounds like an awful lot of money to drive a FWD 1.8 car for 4 years.

Will you get much in the way of benefits over other brands at this level, other than the brands percieved status if that kind of thing bothers you?

dantsw13

Jambalaya – I looked into PCP deals on used approved – they are more than new cars!

Crank rider, it’s 190 BHP, so plenty powerful. The 2.0Tdi is £800 more, but an Audi Finance calculation shows residuals £900 higher, so will prob go with the diesel, maybe a Quattro if I can get a good deal.

I have looked at the other competition and they are more expensive as Audi finance is so good, residuals high, and over 10k off list price! Originally I was looking at Skoda. This is cheaper than anequivalently equipped superb. An Octavia scout is the same price, so that is my decision. The residual value of the scout is only £6k after 4y/80k miles so buying that at the end is a good option!

iainc

dantsw13 – I was in similar place this time last year. I narrowed it down to Superb Estate SEL 4×4 and A6 Avant Quattro, both with the diesel 190 auto. Both on 4yr PCP with 20k miles so per annum and £1500 deposit from me. The Audi worked out at £45 a month less so went for that. Residuals and Audi contribution made it a no brainier.

dantsw13

Do you mind me asking who through and what the monthly payments were?

dantsw13

Sorry for the quiz, but are you happy with it?

Did you get the SE exec version?

Did you bother with the tech pack?

How is the 190 Tdi?

Thanks.

iainc

dantsw13 – I got prices from CarWow and then got Glasgow Audi to nearly match. I am £404 a month. I went for SE which is great, much nicer ride than the Sport. I didn’t add on any extras. Engine is good, more nippy than the 520d Tourer it replaced and a nicer interior.

Overall delighted with it. It’s just passed 17k mikes and I replaced the original tyres a few weeks ago with CrossClimates. We currently have about 5 inches of snow here in south Lanarkshire and it just keeps going 😀

Sandwich

Orange of some sort on order too OP?

fatmax

dantsw13 – how much deposit on the deal that you’ve got. I’m looking at carwow now so hopefully I can get something similar. Thanks for the heads up.

dantsw13

Thanks Ian.

Fatmax – £1000. Carwow works really well. My best offer was from Bexley Audi with just over £10k off list for a finance deal.

Sandwich, sorry, I’m a Santa Cruz boy! (2011 Heckler frame bought second hand in the USA, built up with bombers for my Alps Bike) and a Ti Hardtail.

fotorat
    Free Member

I tried one last Septembe, I am 6 foot 1 and even with seat at it lowest point I was catching my head on the grab handle .

There is something wrong with design of this it feel clostofobick
    like a Volvo v40

So I just walked away, so Try it out first, it might
    Fit you if you you are like small say petite and under 5 foot 8

Criminal for what should be a large European car.

Mind you I take my car allowance 425 pm and as my company makes us use lex over 4 years I always go into garage thinking ok so this is going to cost me 20k, and then I just hand the car and no equity.

So what I do is use my allowance to pay off a 10k loan in years and have a car worth 6k paid for at the end

I am currently doing this with a discovery 3, but I do pop into dealers a couple of times a year to see what I could have.

I am done with new cars until I can get electric one that competes with a Tesla

dantsw13

Well I’m 5’11” and had no issues sitting in one yesterday.

tlr

I’m a touch taller than you fotorat and there is stacks of space above my head, maybe 5 or 6 inches I’d say. And the grab handle is folded up into the roof so I don’t think I could hit it with my head if I tried. It feels pretty big inside to me, and I’ve had a fair few large cars over the years.

Genuine question, are you sure it wasn’t an A4? They do look the same, but the A4 is much smaller.

mrmoofo

The A6 is about to be replaced ( new model about to be release in Germany) … hence Audi are trying to shift them.
    Unfortunately for all of us with it as a choice of company car, you get taxed on the list price, not what it costs the leasing company… and boy are they pushing them …

CountZero

and a Drive Like A Dick button.

Judging by the standard of driving exhibited by the brainless cow in the Kia Sportage who forced her way in front of me at Lacock on the A350 last Friday, causing me to have to panic brake or else have the side of the car ripped open, I’d say that button is an optional extra on pretty much every car sold! Seeing as how I do roughly 1500 miles a week, driving like a complete dick is not a trait restricted to Audi and BMW drivers, despite what Clarkson might have you believe.

Well I’m 5’11” and had no issues sitting in one yesterday.

I’m 6’0””, and I drove a V40 Cross Country last week, and I had no problems at all fitting into it. In fact, the only vehicles that cause me problems are van-derived, like Partners, where the seat is restricted in its rearward movement, and they put a stupid footrest next to the brake/ clutch pedal, (depending on auto/manual ‘box), which stops me being able to stretch my left leg out, causing discomfort in my arthritic knee; even small cars like Up!, Citigo, Aygo, i10, Smart fourtwo are really quite spacious for me.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Every time I think I’d like an Audi, Mercedes or bmw I read the local Facebook pages and burglary always seems rife with these cars in the driveway.. stolen to order ?

Definately puts me off ,

crankrider
    Free Member

whatyadoinsucka – Member
    Every time I think I’d like an Audi, Mercedes or bmw I read the local Facebook pages and burglary always seems rife with these cars in the driveway.. stolen to order ?

Definately puts me off ,

It might put me off an S3 or RS model but I wouldn’t worry too much about cars like the A6, I think they are lovely cars but thieves are generally targeting the ‘faster’ models, apparently to use in other crimes – same with BMW’s

That’s not to say all models are not nicked as a scirocco was stolen from a friend on Facebook a few days ago, big standard 14 plate, keys taken from the house – so I think the best think to do is be aware of it, take precautions but not worry too much with more ‘normal’ models – depends on your area a lot too.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Thanks @crankrider, area is ok, just no police presence in west Yorkshire, it seems everyone’s having a patio door or side door lock burnout and thief’s hunting for car keys, it only seems to happen to brand new or the newish German brands. Guess they are going to Bradford for breaking and/or getting duplicate reg plates put on copied from legal cars

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why would anyone choose to rent a car over 4 years? Out of warranty and an MOT to pay for.

Renting is all about fixed cost no risk. There is a lot of increased risk over 4 yrs

takisawa2

I’d certainly look at carwow. I was looking at a boring mid spec, basic 150hp Superb Estate & had some amazing deals come through. Best being £17.5k after two dealers played off against each other.
    (I know, but I’ve zero interest in cars other than being nice to drive & spacious).

dantsw13

Funky dunk – only pay a deposit every 4 yrs instead of 3. £250 extended warranty so not an issue. Lower monthly payments.

singletrackmind

So , if you are renting a new car and its stolen off your drive never to be seen again..
    You have paid a hefty up front deposit , say £4000
    You have insured it F/Comp I guess , and lest say paid 3mths worth of payments , so you are £5000 in so far.
    The insurance company pay up for a total loss , to whom.- Audi? who still own the car as you are renting it long term? or The supplier who you leased through?
    Either way , surely the leasee does not get £5000 back ? Or do the insurance co split the payments pro rata? But I cant see how that works. 3 months rental out of 24 does that entitle you to 1/8 of the payout
    Then your personal premiums go up ( alot )

rone

Rone – who was that through? Mileage?

Local Skoda dealer matched Simpsons deal and happy to rejig deposit right down.

The price also dropped while I had ordered it from a 1000 deposit to 300 and the dealer allowed me to re-order at lower cost.

Horton’s of Lincoln.

8000 miles pa. But only 3ppm charge per year.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Rone keep us up to date, photos of bike in the back / seats out etc 🙂

@funk a 4yo car will have no material MOT costs imho

@single that worry is what gap insurance is for

rone

Bikes will generally be going on the roof. And annoyingly they’ve changed the roof rack system. Yeti was fantastic , had definite bolts you clamped on to rather than just gripping the roof rails. It made it very quick to take apart.

Looks like the Karoq is back to generic grips.

I will put some pics up though if people find useful . Build date is 22nd Jan.

Just out of interest we’ve both been offered our current yetis for purchase after our 2 years lease.

Good prices for low mileage well looked after cars with 1 year warranty still on.

1.2 Yeti SEL DSG 15500 miles for 13300.

1.4 TSI manual L&K 4×4 14500 miles for 15500.

Both leather and the L&K has all manor of gizmos (pan roof) that you don’t use but heated front window is great.

So dropping from lease to purchase would’ve been much cheaper than buying. Having said all that it’s the first time I’ve been offered for sale.

I wish Skoda would leave glossy plastics alone though. They look gash and scratch so easy.

dantsw13

The Octavia scout Im interested has a residual of £6700 after 4 yrs/80000miles. Still a bargain I think.

Alex

I drove one of those as well. Coming straight from a Yeti, the visibility didn’t feel that great but I don’t think it was any worse than the A6 or other cars I tried afterwards. We had the 2.0D with DSG for a test and again I’ve had been happy to drive that lots of miles.

I decided to wait for the Koraq before making a decision, but ended up buying something else entirely when the Koraq looked like it was going to take me way beyond the end of the Yeti lease deal and it was already close to the mileage.

rone

Incidentally we found out this time on our Vag lease we can extend it by 3 months informally.

Really helpful.

Kryton57

dantsw13 – Member
    The Octavia scout Im interested

Slightly OT, but I wa having a conversation with a rich italian friend the other day. He has two Maserati’s, a large Merc SUV, wears a Panerei watch and has a big house in Norfolk. If you ask what his job is, he says, “ya know a bit of this and a bit of that…” 😯

Anyway, talking of flash cars he is of the opinion that today’s Reps have it all wrong. Company cars used for pounding the motorways used to be perks in the 90’s /early 00’s and of course the flasher more premium car you had was a sign of success. His view i that still exists yet is less common now as company tend toward the best fleet deal rather than finding a brand material display for the individual, so he asks – why is it the the everyday man now feels as thought they need to replicate that materialism with their own money? He has a strong view that – using me as an example – my car would be totally utilitarian and focus on what I do – motorway driving with a bit of bike lugging and as its principally for work, should be as cheap as possible not to the point of being a nightmare to own of course. He feels the money should go to the family car, and that should be the place we all feel comfortable and warm in.

So his advice was, “Just find a **** skoda pcp deal, abuse it and swap it until the job changes”. Another alternative was akin to the 5k Audi being discussed in the Diesel thread. Although above needs to be accompanied by hand waving and histrionics to make total sense of course.

Although I had decided on getting a loan for my 120d after the pcp ends, it’ll be a very similar amount to the Simpsons Skoda PCP. The difference is the deposit need on the latter…

Anyway, maybe a slighted different view.

dantsw13

No that makes a lot of sense. I’m fighting between two requirements.

1. Country living with kids & 2 dogs. Mud & bumpy roads.

2. Commuting to Heathrow/Gatwick more regularly with a promotion at work.

1.says Octavia scout or Karoq.
    2. Says A6 estate.

Prices similar for both.

dantsw13

Anybody driving one of the smaller engined Karoq’s yet?

chestrockwell

After seeing this thread I ventured on to carwow. 10k off a brand new 36k A6 S-Line on PCP pricked my interest!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Although I had decided on getting a loan for my 120d after the pcp ends, it’ll be a very similar amount to the Simpsons Skoda PCP. The difference is the deposit need on the latter…

Yeah so basically ignoring your mates advice mostly… Yet others should heed it ?

Kryton57

Yeah so basically ignoring your mates advice mostly… Yet others should heed it ?

Eh?

The difference is the deposit need on the latter…

…means I’ll be keeping the BM, I’m not sure what your point is. The text was his opinion nothing more.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘I might be about to buy an Audi…….’ is closed to new replies.