• This topic has 53 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • I may have accidentally joined a cult.
  • NJA

My wife said it was a good idea, it happened on the 21st December, right before Xmas she said it was a gift that we could both enjoy.

We got a Peloton bike. I am obsessed, I have got loads fitter and started to lose weight.

I was riding it yesterday – 52nd straight day (yes I did ride it on Xmas day), 110th ride, wearing my century ride T shirt and my wife suggested that I need some friends, she has loads from the UK Ladies Peloton Group on Facebook, but I only have two my wife and my brother.

So I thought I would ask on here, anybody else got one and prepared to share their username, or am I condemned to be sad and lonely forever.

Thanks
    #DeepingNick

footflaps

We got a Peloton bike.

Surely this warrants a lifetime STW ban?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Nah. OP’s still riding a bike. A very expensive one you can’t take outside. A gateway to a cult but it’s still a bike. 52 days on the bounce is good going.

Houns

Not peloton but I got a smart trainer last week and have joined Zwift, it is addictive!

Murray

Stop lying about your age Mr President!

IdleJon

A very expensive one you can’t take outside

You can take it outside. You just won’t travel anywhere on it. Unless you put it in the back of a van..

Sui
    Free Member

all my “friends*” are now Zwifting – thats a cult, they cant stay off it. ITs bad, i can neither afford it, or want it but it’s making them all fitter which is a problems as im now ball bagged when out on rides with any of them.

BAN THEM ALL..

*im thinking of disowning them soddn closet roadies..

doomanic

One of my mates has his Transition Patrol set up on a smart trainer for zwifting… 🤣

NJA

My Peloton is my third best bike, it is just the one that is most suited to winter riding. I do plenty of road and off road miles each year, it is just that as I have got older I prefer riding when the weather is good.

The weather is always good in my conservatory.

footflaps

it is just that as I have got older I prefer riding when the weather is good.

You know that miles in winter count as double?

Plus you get bonus points for each limb you loose feeling in….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kqx62Q]Cold hands[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

MoreCashThanDash

Beginning to think I’m the only person who doesn’t own some sort of indoor cycling apparatus.

Wondering if DeepingNick might be someone I know

#EscapedfromDeepingSteve

funkmasterp

I can’t handle being on a bike that doesn’t move. Just seems completely wrong and the opposite of what cycling means to me. I can understand the appeal and how addictive it could be though.

DezB
    Free Member

Beginning to think I’m the only person who doesn’t own some sort of indoor cycling apparatus

Definitely not. I don’t and never will.
    For one thing the Peloton adverts make me want to punch someone. Have to hit mute every time one comes on. Those people!! Their fake American accents! Gah! 🤢

sirromj

Thought this was going to be about Yoga and Qanon.

Sandwich

A disturbing number of Fen folk on this thread.

#extradigits

kerley
    Free Member

Definitely not. I don’t and never will.

Nor me. The fun of cycling is riding and controlling a bike (in all weathers). Cycling on a pretend bike indoors is pointless to me and if it is for exercise I would rather just use a treadmill as that is the same level of boring as running on the roads!

thepurist

Recently had this conversation with my bro – I’d just got back from the trails, bike was covered in frozen slush, I was down to about 6 gears as my mech and cable were iced up, I had to defrost the gate padlock to get the bike into the garden, then pour warm water over my boots (Fairbanks FTW) to thaw the laces enough to untie them. He was saying how great it was to be able to go for a ride on his wattbike in a warm shed. I disagreed vehemently.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

NJA worships at a new church now

imnotverygood

crazy-legs

Beginning to think I’m the only person who doesn’t own some sort of indoor cycling apparatus

I have a track bike which has only ever been used at an indoor velodrome… Does that count?

I have no indoor trainer / Zwift / Peloton and no intention of getting one. I did once own a set of rollers though.

footflaps

For me, a big part of the appeal is getting out in the fresh air, so I’ve no interest in indoor cycling in any form. Although from looking at Strava, I can see I’m in a very small minority this winter, all my riding friends have become fair weather cyclists! Well I say friends, they’re all dead to me now 😉

paino

Blimey, you guys better not have a look at the STW Zwift race series/TTT threads. Wouldn’t want you to actually have fun while riding your indoor bike.

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, you guys better not have a look at the STW Zwift race series/TTT threads

Cheers! That’s amazingly useful advice for something I never considered doing in the first place.

martinhutch

Surely this warrants a lifetime STW ban?

+1.

Picture of your elegantly curated Peleton room required please.

NJA

Gotta love the haters. The fact is it is fun, competitive, bloody hard work if you do the more advanced classes and I am fitter this year in February than I normally am in May or June.

I considered Zwift, but my wife didn’t fancy a video game and a decent set up is not far away from the Peloton cost.

And some of the instructors are very easy on the eye.

@eddiebaby
    that’s the Bike, us cool kids have the Bike +

@morecashthandash
    If you ever hung around Terry Wright Cycles I am pretty sure you do know me.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

that’s the Bike, us cool kids have the Bike +

For arbitrary and self determined values of ‘cool’?
    (Says the guy with a 9 year old singlespeed hybrid 😁)

MoreCashThanDash

I have a track bike which has only ever been used at an indoor velodrome… Does that count?

Ah actually, guilty as charged.

My first Raleigh Module 3 was bought from Terry Wright Cycles when he was trading out of front room on Church Street, I think.

Anyway, High Six! to my fellow Fen sloggers.

funkmasterp

The fact is it is fun, competitive, bloody hard work if you do the more advanced classes

The first bit is the only reason I ride a bike. The second two would negate the first one for me plus the fun part involves being outside, moving and possibly crashing. I’m out, but happy you enjoy it

highlandman
    Free Member

Yes, it can help you get fitter and good at delivering watts in a straight line although rarely actually a stronger or better rider. It comes without all of the other benefits of real riding, like fresh air, balance, proprioception & muscular control, sunlight, smiles.. Riding a bike is about so much more than just burning calories and measuring wattage. Unless you’re a pro racer, in which case it could be part of a well designed, balanced diet of activity. But for everyone else..? Sad, competitive, repetitive & relatively pointless when compared to going out on a bike. Life is way too short for that kind of nonsense.
    I’ve got a better idea. Buy or borrow a bike trailer. Hook up and take it to a cash & carry, buy a couple of crates of something useful and see how fast you can truck it over to a food bank that’s 10 miles away. Ride home again without making a fuss about it. Do that once a week on top of your normal riding, you’ll build upper body strength as well as fitness and will still have change from the cost of the Peloton set up.

rOcKeTdOg

Not peloton but I got a smart trainer last week and have joined Zwift, it is addictive!

I got a smart trainer last May, however I cancelled Zwift yesterday as I never use it. Prefer to ride outside even in Saturday’s Baltic conditions

el_boufador

I’ve set my ebike up on zwift

NJA

@highlandman I was trying to be light hearted. Clearly Peloton is not for you. But FYI I can handle a bike pretty well, There is plenty to smile about and enjoy in a peloton class, or a spin class which is what I did pre pandemic. My company is partnered with a food bank and I donate regularly through that.
    It’s another way to get through winter, I don’t think it warrants a personal attack.

piemonster

I’ve set my ebike up on zwift

You MONSTER

highlandman
    Free Member

That is me being light hearted. Relax.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

That is me being light hearted.

zippykona

Any sort of indoor riding is all the incentive I need to ride outdoors.

MoreCashThanDash

Sad, competitive, repetitive & relatively pointless when compared to going out on a bike

I agree with that. But there have been plenty of times in recent years that work, weather and family commitments have made it hard to get out and ride how I’d like and an indoor set up would have been great.

Certainly seen a lot of club mates, from novices to national level competitors, make big improvements to their fitness after a winter on Zwift.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Welcome to Pelotaunt:

colournoise

Nothing to add to the Peleton/Zwift chat.

But the Deepings aren’t in the fens! At least that’s what my mum/sister/aunt told me when I was growing up just outside Ramsey…

#onceafenneralwaysafenner

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Well played OP good for you.

Not got Pelo myself but Sufferfest and smart trainer….. Love it

In the garage, in my pants, on a whim without having to pack a gym bag, get changed, drive a car/park etc etc. Done and dusted with a little yoga thrown in at the end within an hour ….. A brilliant way to keep fit and that’s the way to view it

An alternative to the gym, not to getting out in the woods/hills …. I throw my trainers on for that.

Peloton are bring out a rower later in the year.

But I’m waiting on more development of “Mirrors” …. Nordictrack Vault or Tempo and more interestingly Tonal

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘I may have accidentally joined a cult.’ is closed to new replies.