Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • I love Florence as much as the next man, but..
  • IanMunro
    Free Member

FFS find some other incidental music for every telly program at the moment!

Can I also nominate this for the lamest rant of the month?
    Cheers 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

Poor Florence actually is hated by all high street male clothes shop models, its a condition of their employment apparently.

Dancake
    Free Member

If the next man is me, then you may not like her at all? Just seems to shout and howl through every song. An that live cover of You've got the love was played so much by the BBC, I wanted to kill every time it came on in the car (which was every time for a while). Wail, wail, wail, SHOUT SHOUT (out of tune) REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT.

not a fan

CountZero

The telly bods seem to find a piece of music they like that's a bit individual then flog it to death for months. Mumford and Son are another victim at the moment, in the past Portishead, Goldfrapp and Arcade Fire have had the treatment, and still show up from time to time. Personally, it doesn't bother me at all, but some people do seem to get a bit cranky about it.

MrSparkle

Northwind

It was 65 Days of Static for a while, which was just plain weird. Not as weird as Formula 1 soundtracked by Therapy? though.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Dancake +1

trailmonkey

monotone drivel. seriously poor

Resin42
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    It was 65 Days of Static for a while, which was just plain weird. Not as weird as Formula 1 soundtracked by Therapy? though

Really? Missed that. What song?

Muse had it particularly bad for a while, I don't what annoys me more, getting bludgeoned with their good songs or getting bludgeoned with the crap ones.

chakaping
    Free Member

Her cover of You Got the Love was an appalling desecration of a wonderful track – and I will never forgive her for it.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

well if I'm the next man then she's a shrieking harpy.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

uponthedowns – Member
    well if I'm the next man then she's a shrieking harpy.

Agreed.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I have no idea what this is about. Like Mr Sparkle, I too was thinking about the Magic Roundabout.

nicko74

Agreed. The first couple of singles were pretty good (but it took a good couple of years for her to gain any traction, years in which by all accounts she was something of an attention-whore), but since then overexposure has had its wicked way with them. Ah well.

Northwind

"Really? Missed that. What song?"

Infernal Love :mrgreen: I don't know why either, but it made us laugh.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Any truth in the rumour she's a tranny?

_tom_
    Free Member

Her voice is pretty much the most annoying thing ever. More annoying than mtb'ers calling road bikes darkside.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

BBC were using 65 Days of Static. Various Biff tunes being caned as well for last few months. BBC also usin Mogwai as well recently

johnners
    Free Member

Any truth in the rumour she's a tranny?

Yes, she definitely is. She's bloody enormous with an Adam's Apple to match.

BigJohn

I prefer Verona

wee-al
    Free Member

Oh! Good stuff, i thought i was the only one who found her flat and waily. Shoulda known i could count on STW!

yunki
    Free Member

Her cover of You Got the Love was an appalling desecration of a wonderful track – and I will never forgive her for it.

i thought i was the only one who found her flat and waily

Her voice is pretty much the most annoying thing ever.

monotone drivel. seriously poor

Just seems to shout and howl through every song

+1

Has anyone metnioned that she only rose to fame cos a bunch of industry bods were trying to be 'interesting' and decided to use the whole weight of the music marketing machine behind her.. what makes me uncomfortable.. is the number of people who blindly and obediently bought into it.. the whole sorry episode makes me want to cry a little bit..

nickc

More power to her. She's unique. She's not some skinny size zero wag doing lame MOR pop while taking her clothes off for shite weekly glossy mags. She writes her own music. She's got a unique voice and her live shows are really good.

Kate bush for the new century

yunki
    Free Member

Is unique now the be-all and end-all when it comes to choosing a musical heroine? Will any old caterwauling mackerel do as long as it's an antedote to the greasy saccharine pop machine?

Saints preserve us

nickc

Not a fan then yunki?

Has anyone metnioned [sic] that she only rose to fame cos a bunch of industry bods were trying to be 'interesting' and decided to use the whole weight of the music marketing machine behind her

You may as well have entitled your post: Why I don't understand how the music industry works…

Whether or not you don't like her music is slightly besides the point here. The OP is suggesting that her music is all over the telly, this is as much Florence's fault as Apple trees are to blame for those appalling Magner's Cider adverts.

It's telling how most blokes on here will tell you how they hate all the WAG size zero model/singer/actress pap that's pushed on us daily, yet some-one comes along determinedly doesn't play that game gets slaughtered by a bunch of middle aged bicycle riders, I'm sure she's crying into her porridge…

NFY springs to mind?

yunki
    Free Member

oh.. yeah.. my mistake.. err…. sorry

MrNutt
    Free Member

I quite like her, now and then, but I can't tell anyone about it.

yunki
    Free Member

What's the content of her music like..?
    Is there any substance to the lyrics…?
    I readily admit to not being able to get past the awful noise to see if she actually has anything of value to say..

or is it just the same pop messages wrapped up in a new package to suit the demographic that it's being marketed at..

cynic-al
    Free Member

If this is the one that was on T in the Park, she CANNOT EVEN SING!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I saw her 18 months ago, and she was pretty compelling. Voice is definitely an acquired taste though. I don't really watch the tellybox, so the over-exposure is a bit lost on me. It must be tedious for all concerned, if presumably fairly lucrative for the artist.

trailmonkey

presumably fairly lucrative for the artist.

Only if they hold the publishing rights to the music/lyrics.

konabunny
    Free Member

in the past Portishead, Goldfrapp and Arcade Fire have had the treatment

Doesn't help that all Goldfrapp songs sound the same.

chakaping
    Free Member

I'm sure the writer of You Got The Love is delighted that Florence has done so well with it – and I'm very happy for him/her if they retained the rights.

And actually I'd rather hear any of her tuneless caterwauling than that moronic Black Eyed Peas song about "Tonight's gonna be a good night" on TV highlights packages.

MSP

I thought her wailing kind of worked on "dog days are over" and once the overexposure has diminished it will be a great song for years, but she is very much a one hit wonder, everything else she has done is just awfull.

willard

re you lot talking about the Italian city, or am I missing something?

Northwind

"everything else she has done is just awfull."

Between Two Lungs is a good track IMO, not sure how you could think so highly of Dog Days and not like that, ah well. Her cover of Halo is ace as well. Still, overall pretty ropey…

rootes1

She looks like a tranny…. In fact i have seen better looking tranny's

DezB
    Free Member

Is unique now the be-all and end-all when it comes to choosing a musical heroine

Ah, it would be wouldn't it! But a rehashing of the Cramberries to a rock background is far from the nirvana that would be uniqueness.

Spoken like a true square-dad. "It all sounds the same"… Yawn.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I've only heard a couple of her higher-profile songs but I like her. Was that her at the end of the last ITV4 Tour programme?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I couldn't get through the rest of this post after reading this nonsense. I'm glad I wasn't swigging a cuppa when I read it otherwise it'd be new monitor time. Seriously, this is no Goldfrapp love-in, but anyone who says Goldfrapp's music all sounds the same needs their ears syringing. I heard the new single the other day and was gob-smacked to hear they have taken yet another direction with their music. I could not think of another band who sounds so different album by album.

Rant over 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘I love Florence as much as the next man, but..’ is closed to new replies.