Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • "I like their music and songs but I hate his voice"…..Is my wife mad?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

This was a quote from my wife when listening to Carter USM.
    I know lots of people who may think Carter are rubbish, but I’ve been wracking my brain to try and think of a single song by anyone, that I love….all apart from the singers voice?
    After not being able to think of one, I’ve decided that a good song has to be made up of a decent tune and a singer who’s voice you actually like too.
    Can anyone think of a great tune sung by a God awful singer?

nealglover
    Free Member

Anything sung by Ian Brown live.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I think this is gonna be a long list!

joshvegas
    Free Member

90percent of bob dylans back catalogue

lemonysam
    Free Member

Lots of songs by Connor Oberst.

dingabell
    Free Member

I agree with Bob Dylan’s voice but wouldn’t his songs be just as rubbish sung by someone else? I’m probably going to get flamed for that one.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Coldplay – Chris Martin’s voice is so dull to my ears. My wife love them and can’t understand why I find them so bland.

slackalice
    Free Member

90percent of bob dylans back catalogue

+1

And add Tom Waits and Bruce Springsteen to the list for starters

Rubber_Buccaneer

Trent Reznor and Prince are two whose stuff I often prefer performed by someone else.

dingabell
    Free Member

Pleeeeease don’t tell me you prefer Johnny Cash’s version of NIN ‘Hurt’ ?

Northwind

****ed Up maybe? I could do without pinkeye’s vocals a lot of the time. David Comes To Life has a plot apparently, I can’t tell because half of the lyrics seem to be sung by an angry dog. I don’t hate it, sometimes it’s brilliant, but it annoys sometimes.

Jim’s voice isn’t that bad though!

RoterStern
    Free Member

Neal Young has written some amazing tunes but my god his voice grates on me. 😥

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Going to get flamed here but some Beatles songs… Sorry

PrinceJohn

Pleeeeease don’t tell me you prefer Johnny Cash’s version of NIN ‘Hurt’ ?

Me, Trent Reznor & a lot of other people do. Not many songs hit me, stop me in my tracks & almost move me to tears on a first listen.

chambord
    Free Member

Neil Young

Noooooo. His voice is brilliant.

Guess it depends how you define a “good” voice. I like a voice to sound a bit different, bit raspy – to have some character.

Music would be just horrendous if all vocalists could hit all notes.

slowoldman

Music would be just horrendous if all vocalists could hit all notes.

Which is why Autotune should be banned.

There have been many brilliant singers with awful voices, e.g.
    Joe Cocker
    Captain Beefheart
    Ian Dury

and my personal favourite “rubbish singer”

Roger Chapman (Family).

DezB
    Free Member

I know lots of people who may think Carter are rubbish

Were rubbish surely. not that I think they were, but can’t imagine bothering to listen to them now.

I used to hate The Jam because of Weller’s voice. Then Strange Town became one of my favourite songs ever.

Duran Duran’s songs may have been superb, but Le Bon’s the shittest singer ever (apart from maybe Howard Jones), so I couldn’t listen to a single one of them.

More up to date: Sam Smith. makes me vomit.

Hmm, I haven’t done what the op asked have I? Oh well!

ahwiles
    Free Member

The Smiths.

stumpy01

Yep, loads of music that I like but can’t stand the singer.

BoomBip
    Free Member

Smashing Pumpkins – Billy Corgan’s thin whine 🙁

ThePinkster

I agree with Bob Dylan’s voice but wouldn’t his songs be just as rubbish sung by someone else? I’m probably going to get flamed for that one.

Not gonna flame but you should give Thea Gilmore’s version of John Wesley Harding (the whole album) a go sometime.

Absolutely brilliant.

steveoath
    Free Member

Muse?

CountZero

Smashing Pumpkins – Billy Corgan’s thin whine

This ^
    Also Richard Thompson, it’s taken me years to enjoy his songs actually sung by him.
    Bob Dylan, or at least his more recent stuff, he’s become a parody of himself.
    I love Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Cerys Matthews, but I can understand people struggling to enjoy hearing them sing.
    Doesn’t make them rubbish, mind.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Another vote for Connor Oberst. There’s about 10 albums of beautifully arranged, written, performed but poorly sung songs.

Lua, Gold Mine Gutted for two. But that’s coke for you.

slowoldman

Also Richard Thompson

No no no no no no no no NO NO NO.

RT is a brilliant singer with a GOOD voice.

edlong
    Free Member

Never has a thread been more guaranteed to not arrive at a consensus without mentioning driving.

FWIW I’d agree with the Smiths and Duran Duran and a big “WTF! Really??” to Billy Corgan.

Philistines and / or people of sound judgement, the lot of you.

RustySpanner

DezB – Member
    Duran Duran’s songs may have been superb, but Le Bon’s the shittest singer ever….

I agree about Simon Le Bon – flat, whiney, terrible timing and diction.

I love most of the others named on the thread though – technical ability is the least important attribute of any musician – they all convey the emotion behind the music beautifully, even if they couldn’t hit a note if it was tied to a chair in front of them.
    🙂

CountZero – Member

Also Richard Thompson, it’s taken me years to enjoy his songs actually sung by him.

His voice just makes me cry – no idea why, but I just end up in bits whenever I hear him sing – had to stop going to see him live, it was getting embarrasing.

For example:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9-lAOdQrGo[/video]
    See?
    Sorry, just got something in my eye……..

emac65
    Free Member

Manic Street Preachers
    The Smiths
    Muse

Squidlord
    Free Member

I’ve always loved New Order, but I’d have to say Barney Sumner would rank highly on the list of crap singers.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Joy Division…

*Gasp.*

lemonysam
    Free Member

Just to add weight to my (and cfinnemore’s) suggestion:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQZIU4VGzhs[/video]
    literally anyone else singing this would be an improvement.

martinhutch

Billy Bragg. Lovely songs, terrible voice.

nickc

Brian Johnson.

I’ve never heard actual cats being strangled, luckily for me, thanks to AC/DC, I never have to imagine what it might sound like .

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Billy Bragg. Lovely songs, terrible voice.

True, but also the perfect voice for those songs.

lucky7500

Not gonna flame but you should give Thea Gilmore’s version of John Wesley Harding (the whole album) a go sometime.
    Absolutely brilliant.

+1 on that and I’m an enforced Dylan fan!!

I’d add Jimi Hendrix to the list. Love his music, some incredible tunes but an awful singer.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Can I add Nick Cave to the list?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Can I add Nick Cave to the list?

Christ no. Now go and wash your mouth out.

binners

Good call onBilly Bragg. Love the guy, but Could he not just have Kirsty sing them all? New England is approximately 23,456,789 times better when she sings it.

Ian brown is God like deity, but can’t sing for toffee!

Anyone who’s mentioned the Smiths needs to see Johnny Marr live now he’s doing Smiths songs in his set. The best songs ever written, but with the bonus of no Morrisey. Result!!! He’s a lyrical genius but also a complete bell end!

integerspin
    Free Member

Absolutely brilliant.

+1 on that and I’m an enforced Dylan fan!!
    I’d add Jimi Hendrix to the list. Love his music, some incredible tunes but an awful singer.

I like Hendrix singing
    As to Dylan, All Along The Watchtower and Angel are pretty good; sung by Hendrix rather than Dylan.
    I Saw Her Standing There sung by Paul Rudolph[Pink Fairies] sounds better than, is it McCartney?
    I prefer Siouxsie singing Dear Prudence, rather than Lennon.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Nobody’s mentioned Rush yet?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘"I like their music and songs but I hate his voice"…..Is my wife mad?’ is closed to new replies.