• This topic has 30 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by donks.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • I like knives but don’t obsess over them…
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

My 5 Zwilling 4 star have performed perfectly for 25 years. They tend to stay sharp and are easy to sharpen when they stop.
    So all is good. And then I saw this range I’d never heard of and it is so very pretty.

https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-zwilling-miyabi-5000-mcd-67-chefs-knife-20-cm-34401-201.htm

zilog6128

A Zwilling shop has just opened in the chavvy “outlet” shopping centre near me so they’ve officially jumped the shark now, sorry. Expecting a huge rise in damascus steel gang stabbings. At least you can say you were into them way before they went all North Face 😃

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You’ve been able to buy sets at good prices (IMO) in TKMaxx for a few years now.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

“I hope you’re going to give that a once over with a ceramic and strop it before you stab me, you ruffian”

Murray

Lovely. Reminds me that I need to sharpen my cheapo Victorinox chef’s knife, been 6 months.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

What a crazy price for a knife .

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Please go and check the watch threads and then come back.

rascal
    Free Member

That is a bonkers price for a knife TBF, though it does look priddy.

piemonster

You’ve been able to buy sets at good prices (IMO) in TKMaxx for a few years now.

The Zwilling online shop actually has some good prices on occasion, I got this set for, I think around £170

https://uk.zwilling-shop.com/Kitchen-World/Kitchen-Knives/Knife-Sets-Blocks/Knife-block-sets/7-Piece-Self-Sharpening-Knife-Block-Zwilling-35630-007-0.html

eruptron
    Free Member

If your going to pay that much buy something special and individual.
    https://blok-knives.co.uk/product-category/knives/

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I have to say that there is nothing about their knives that would make me want to buy one. Ugly as IMO.

Drac

My Facebook ‘special sale’ bargain arrived yesterday.

It’s actually remarkably good for £25 😂

zilog6128

@Drac as long as you like it that’s the main thing. 😃 It’s a £5 knife that’s been laser etched tho, not any kind of fancy steel.

Drac

I thought that but when you look at it has been folded but yes that pattern isn’t genuine.

chipps

I’ve had several knives from https://japanesechefsknife.com who are a) in Japan and b) very enthusiastic about who makes the knives and the heritage and so on. The newsletter is worth signing up to as it often details the particular knifesmith (is that the right word?) of the week. And they do stock knives from Mr Hattori, so all your Kill Bill fantasies are catered for.

Much of their line is eye watering buffalo-bolstered Damascus with an olive wood handle, but there are actually some decent knives in among them. Their own-brand stuff recently appeared to be very good.

hols2
    Free Member

What a crazy price for a knife .

Please go and check the watch threads and then come back.

That is a bonkers price for a knife TBF, though it does look priddy.

Checked the price of bike parts recently? 2.5k for one wheel!!! WTF!!!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Just because something else is stupidly expensive doesn’t mean that the price of that knife as listed isn’t ridiculous . At least a watch is something that you wear and can be seen as an item of jewelery but it wont tell the time any better than my £100 Citizen . If you like ” nice ” stuff and can afford it then crack on , it’s why we go to work after all .

Drac

Don’t forget Daft Vader of this parish with his ammonite Knives on Facebook.

cb200
    Free Member

This unlikely source  (German tool site) has great knives.

I’ve had one for about ten years and it’s a pleasure to use. I sharpen with the waterstones I use for my Japanese chisels and it can be made incredibly sharp.

Back then it was about £65 but much more now due to increased demand and a vastly GBP v EUR

https://www.fine-tools.com/kitaoka.html

dc1988

A good knife is worth it as it will last decades and get used almost daily. I was fortunate to get some bargain Kai knives in TKMaxx years ago and they’re still going strong, just wished I’d bought a few more of them.

sirromj

https://blok-knives.co.uk/product-category/knives/

The pretentiousness of that bow & luggage tag at the top of their website is just too much.

Robz
    Free Member

I have global knives but plan getting something handmade from:

Gorse Knives

Very nice.

Also check out Alex Pole iron work.

Clicky

Cougar

My Facebook ‘special sale’ bargain arrived yesterday.

Is the edge as absolutely radged as it looks like in the photo?

Drac

No, you could shave with it. It’s seriously impressive but we’ll see long term.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Those Blok knives are gorgeous,I’ve been following them for a while and if you can catch a sale the price is pretty good.

But, the steel in the Zwillings knife above is on a whole other level. It’s made for everyday use and is resistant to the average lack of care use.

Any half decent knife will do whatever you want with good sharpening technique, but all the same I want one of these acid etched things of beauty:

cookeaa

Excellent thread!

All the makings of a good old “peak STW” hair shirt vs overpriced artisan twattery bun knife fight…

Crack on…

sunnrider
    Free Member

And I didn’t even post a link to the
    $5k+ meteorite-handle damascus steel knives.

andylc
    Free Member

Haven’t seen anything I’d prefer to my trusty Global knives.

fatmountain
    Free Member

I’m going to change my Tinder bio to the title of this thread.

Robz
    Free Member

I do like my Globals but find the handles a bit splippery also a bit narrow at the ricasso when choking up the handle for fast chopping.

I got an M&S real genuine Damascus Santoku with a lovely wooden handle about 8 years ago for £40 that’s still going very strong.

donks
    Free Member

I have a Dalstrong chef’s knife which I really like…..but… I’ve had it for about 2 years now and it’s got quite blunt. Not through want or attempts at sharpening the thing. But every time I get it on the wet stone it only seems to stay half sharp for a week or so then it looses it’s edge.

I have one of those 2 sided Japanese stones, 6000 grit on one and 1000 on the other but try as I might it just never quite gets there. I’ve watched the damn videos and what not but just can’t get the edge I want. Tried on the much cheaper knife and got that bastard sharp but it’s much softer steel. What’s the deal here. I’m going to give it one more go tomorrow and if I’m not happy I’m onto Amazon for one of them knife destroying wheel thingies.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘I like knives but don’t obsess over them…’ is closed to new replies.