Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • I lack political savvy, so maybe this is a dumb question, but….
  • benji_allen
    Free Member

Of all the political parties in the U.K., why can I only vote for one of five? I understand you have representatives of your area, but what if I want to vote for a totally different party to run the country. If a party wins who aren't in my constituency, that's not fair.

Is there a reason for this?

jasonm945
    Free Member

I suppose because you are meant to vote for party policies rather than personality!

Maybe?

Jay

benji_allen
    Free Member

Maybe I worded it wrong.

Say I want to vote for English Democrats to run the country. There's no candidate for my area. I can't vote them. But I want them to run the country.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Because someone has to stand in your constituency – minor parties don't have the funds or support to have representation in them all.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Maybe it was a silly question thinking about it.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

because we don't have proportional representation……..yet

binners

If they don't have a candidate in your area I doubt they're running the risk of ending up running the country

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And you don't vote to get the party in, you vote for who will represent your constituency. The party with the most 'seats' takes power – get enough and have complete control as all the other parties' seats in Parliament can never vote your policies out. Technically the leader of a party could not have a seat but they ways represent guaranteed 'seats' so always get voted in.

Stoner
    Free Member

you dont vote for a government, you vote for a member of parliament to represent your constituency. Just so happens that most candidates now come through the party machines so people think they are voting for organisations, not individuals.

The transferable vote systems proposed by the LibDems go some way to address that

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I understand you have representatives of your area, but what if I want to vote for a totally different party to run the country.

Well how about, you vote for one party in the local elections, and another party in the national elections ?

If a party wins who aren't in my constituency, that's not fair.

I really don't know what that means.

EDIT just seen this : "Say I want to vote for English Democrats to run the country. There's no candidate for my area. I can't vote them. But I want them to run the country. "

Tough……either stand as a candidate yourself, or move.

benji_allen
    Free Member

And you don't vote to get the party in, you vote for who will represent your constituency.

Won't they just tow the party line anyway?

Crap FPTP system.

Stoner
    Free Member

GG – I think he means that it is theoretically possible for, say the tories to form government of the UK, without offering up any candidates in Scottish constituencies, for example.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Precisely. Articulacy never was my strong point.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And you don't vote to get the party in, you vote for who will represent your constituency.

Won't they just tow the party line anyway?
    Crap FPTP system.

I don't understand you – your constituency's MP could be Labour but it could be a Tory Government so they will (ordinarily) oppose anything they try to pass through Parliament. But as the Tories (in this theoretic case) have overall power, his vote generally won't make a difference.

And you toe a line, not tow 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You vote for who will represent your constituency.

It's a mixture of whether you think a candidate will represent you well, and how much you agree with their party's policies and leadership.

An example. My mate is not a natural Labour supporter, but will vote Labour this time because:
    a) His standing Labour MP, Dan Norris, actually turns up to debates, often speaks, and tries to elevate local issues to national level.
    b) The only viable alternative is the Conservative, Jacob Rees-Mogg, who's been parachuted in after a boundary change. Google him – his opinions are laughable!

I'm in a LibDem/Conservative marginal and will be voting to boot out the sitting Conservative, mainly because of his dodgy expenses. But also because I'm a intellectual bleeding heart Liberal in my bones and want the LibDems to a have a fair and proportionate voice in parliament. A hung parliament ticks my boxes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘I lack political savvy, so maybe this is a dumb question, but….’ is closed to new replies.