Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I know this should be in the Electric car thread but Ionic 5 question
  • wingnuts

Having been a great members of the bangernomics brigade in the past the we broke the habit of a lifetime and put our name down for an Ionic 5. Delivery in March next year so plenty of time to get our heads around everything. We ordered an Ultimate version which comes with the 77kw battery. This afternoon the dealer called and said they had a cancelled order which had the spec we wanted (including the Eco pack) but it has the 73kw version.

Is this going to make a real world difference?

retrorick

No. Unless you use the full capacity of the battery on a daily basis?
    Are there any other specification differences to the beer model? Power or efficiency gains? New gadgets etc?

Mintman
    Free Member

I’ve got a Kia EV6 which is the same power system. My full 77kW battery will do about 280 miles up and down the M4 so if you reduced the battery to 73kW you might lose 10-20 miles off that at most. That’s probably a bit lower than the car your looking at as mine is the all wheel drive version as well so the range is lower than RWD.

To be honest there’s so many variables with range (speed, driving style, hold, temperature etc etc) I can’t imagine that i’d notice or miss that little bit extra.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    revs1972
    Free Member

With the world going to hell in a handcart as it is, just take the model on offer.
    Live for the moment , who knows what could happen to the car you ordered in the near future.
    (from listening to chatter about deliveries being put back on a regular basis)

ta11pau1

If the rest of the spec, charging etc is the same, based on 4 miles/kWh you’re losing 16 miles potential range.

pedlad

Done >9k miles in my 73kwh awd premium now and can count range anxiety moments on one hand. You’ll be fine. Great car.
    Just a noisy tailgate to get sorted when I can get it to a dealer.

wingnuts

Thanks pedlad thats great to know. Now just got to sort the dosh. Never had had any finance for a car before and looking at how these seem to be holding prices I’m tempted to pay cash but I’ll see what they offer tomorrow.

timba
    Free Member

Have a look at the specs, Hyundai.co.uk currently shows only 58.2 or a 77, is the 73 older stock?
    They have made 58.2, 72.6 and 77.4 batteries

pedlad

To add more context I’ve averaged 3.5 miles per KWh over those miles so that missing battery equates to 14 miles. How you drive and the temperature will likely have a bigger effect. Also you only charge to 100% at home when you really need to (rare for the vast majority).

Otherwise 80% and plug back in when home. When fast DC charging out and about, again you don’t go beyond 80/85%, for the sake of the battery and also as the charging rate slows down at that point (I5 is much better in this respect than tesla/Vw mind). There’s a lot of internet advice telling you how it’s quicker to get going at ~80%, then charge at super high speeds again from 10/20% at the the next stop (if you’re driving an epic long journey).

Plug some routes into “a better route planner” to see what I mean. It’s a cool tool to give you Tesla like planning and then you can ping he route including stops to google maps to display via carplay.

wingnuts

Well the journey begins. Delivery on Tuesday. I expect to be allowed to drive it in 2024

wooksterbo

I’ve been back and forth on the Ioniq 5 in terms of ordering one or not. I really wanted an electric car that would let me get to my parents house and back without charging (360 ish miles). Ideally I guess 400 to allow for road closures. Journey is M1 / M25 / M3 or A3. Just not sure on the worry of finding a charger. It’s the only thing putting me off in not having to faff so much to get to a charger.

And yes, I am lucky that I can afford to buy a new electric car (just about) and the only issue to me is range anxiety.

Our diesel 1 series BMW is 7 years old but I expect it’ll be getting expensive as things to start deteriorate in the next few years.

wingnuts

Looks like you’re in our position worksterbo. We have the T5 if we get worried about longer journeys but I think this is the first car I’ve been genuinely excited about. Well the Caterham was scared rather than excited I suppose! I’ll report back,

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve had EVs for 3 years now doing about 15000 miles pa with less range (220 summer, 180 winter) and exclusively using the public charging infrastructure. Been to north Scotland, Lake District and other charging dead spots on quite a few occasions, without too much issue. You’ll be fine with what looks like roughly 270 summer and 200 winter. Are you getting a home charger installed??

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ll be fine with what looks like roughly 270 summer and 200 winter

I’d be surprised if that car gets that much worse in winter. Our Hyundai barely changes, it has a pretty good heat pump arrangement.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I quickly looked on evdatabase molgrips, i might have read the wrong figures

wooksterbo

@B.A.Nana , in the middle of possibly getting solar panels plus battery along with a charger. The car will be bang on for 90% of the time, also one of the only cars that will fit in the garage, I need an extra 100mm depth to get the BMW i4 etc in.

pedlad

Just not sure on the worry of finding a charger.

@wooksterbo

400m real world range (so ~475 displayed to cover winter) just isn’t going to happen at an affordable-car level IMHO. Batteries are in such demand and will continue to be so for a long time (= high price for big battery pack, see Lucid Air) and the car manufacturers know the data that a 400m continuous range for the UK population is needed for less than what 0.3% of journeys? (a guess but you get my point).

And neither is it needed as even now the Ultra rapid DC charging network is good enough in most parts of the UK for the current car numbers. I’ve waiting once for a charger in 6 months. Does it need expanding for more car capacity and to cover some other under-served areas-yes. But there’s vast investment being announced by providers all the time. So it’s only going to get better. I’m much more worried about costs going north of £0.70 per KWh than I am the actual charging network now.

wooksterbo

Cheers @pedlad
    Yes price per KWh was also a consideration that I forgot to mention.

400 miles was a hope that new battery tech may just be around the corner in say within 5 years but I guess that is likely a pipedream.

I should really get a test drive sorted either way of an Ioniq 5 just to see how it feels.

molgrips
    Free Member

Batteries are in such demand and will continue to be so for a long time

But supply is being ramped up hugely. I think that prices are high because they are selling at those prices and the manufacturers are happy to take money off people who can afford £50k cars. When they all have one, prices will have to come down or the car companies won’t sell any more cars.

400 miles was a hope that new battery tech may just be around the corner in say within 5 years but I guess that is likely a pipedream.

No, it is – solid state batteries will be in production by then, and they will charge quicker and hold more charge. Or we will still have 300 mile range but they will be cheaper because they’ll have a physically smaller battery.

wingnuts

Yes we will look at getting a home charger. Considering a solar set up specifically for charging. Thought we’d got another 6 months to get all this decided. Plenty of chargers around us including Aldi and Lidl with their cheap/free set ups, so no immediate rush We need 200 miles to be comfortable for the common journeys that aren’t local. On the test drives I was impressed with it as a vehicle.

whatgoesup

Keep us posted re how you get on. I’m 3 weeks into having an ETron with 230 miles range (despite a 95kWhr battery!) and so far it’s been great including long trips. Takes more effort in planning where to stop but nothing too taxing.

I’ve come to the conclusion that Electric drivetrains are much better to drive than IC engines in every aspect except noise/character/entertainment etc. Smooth, quiet, ideal for normal pooting around but you have access to full power instantly at any time – no changing down / turbo lag etc.

wingnuts

Whatgoesup will do. Getting very jittery about what a colossal amount of money it is but I’m at saturation point with bikes I suppose!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.