I know that this a typically centre right forum..

Home Forum Chat Forum I know that this a typically centre right forum..

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • I know that this a typically centre right forum..
  • Mr Woppit

Bit stunned byt the number of people on the radio who said they voted UKIP as a protest vote. A protest against what? Rational thought?

Nigel Farage is in the mould of a long line of populist politicians, he’s good at convincing you that there’s a problem, then finding someone to blame for it and pointing angrily at them.

“The People”, as ever, are mainly sheep-shaped stepping stones to power.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

That really is a load of nonsense Sandwich, specially the claim that “we as a nation/electorate send third-rate and no hoper politicians”, when you consider that most the other nations in the EU send far more fascists and neo-nazis to Brussels than the UK does.

Which was partly my point treat it seriously and get some serious and committed politicians in to do the job. Not the gravy train riders and trough feeders we currently attract. (Are you suggesting that the other countries Fascists and Neo Nazis are not serious, I wouldn’t know as their manifestos are in languages I don’t speak. Certainly our fascists and nazis don’t appear serious).

There should also be a requirement that anyone standing for a representative position in politics should have experience from a real world ™ job. (That’s one outside the sphere of Westminster, local council working for daddy or daddy’s friends).

I was pleased to note that Ipswich didn’t elect a racist-lite (Ukip) to the council yesterday which has restored some of my faith in the “system”.

willard

I felt disgusted by the number of pseudo-facist parties on the ballot sheet, so voted LibDem. Hell, I’ll admit that I felt sorry for them and thought that a vote might make them feel better.

ernie_lynch

Are you suggesting that …….

I’m suggesting that your comment :

“we as a nation/electorate send third-rate and no hoper politicians to ride the gravy train”

which is clearly implying that “we as a nation” send third-rate and no hoper politicians compared to “other nations” is false.

UK politicians in Brussels are no more third-rate no hopers than other politicians.

In fact the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, ie, the person who decides on a day to day basis what EU foreign policy should be, and is therefore one of the most important politicians in the EU, is a British politician.

She might well be a third-rate and no hoper politician, but if she’s the best that the EU can come up with for the post of EU foreign minister then it suggests that all EU politicians, wherever they come from, are third-rate no hopers.

pondo

Which was partly my point treat it seriously and get some serious and committed politicians in to do the job. Not the gravy train riders and trough feeders we currently attract.

It has to be said, there’s an eye-popping frustration in people, frustrated at what the EU does, voting to send politicians to represent them who want the EU to fail. Me, I’d rather we sent someone who wants to make it work.

Premier Icon neil the wheel
    Subscriber

We had a depressingly large collection of fascists and Little Englanders to vote for on our Euro election list – Tories, BNP, Ukip, the lot. BNP had this specimen standing 😯
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=DOROTHY+BROOKE+(BNP)&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xUp_U7PVFafX0QXa_oGAAQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=643

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

It has to be said, there’s an eye-popping frustration in people, frustrated at what the EU does, voting to send politicians to represent them who want the EU to fail. Me, I’d rather we sent someone who wants to make it work.

Someone with strong historic links to other European nations, including the Germans perhaps? A master of international diplomacy? ……

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

It has to be said, there’s an eye-popping frustration in people, frustrated at what the EU does, voting to send politicians to represent them who want the EU to fail

really does make you want to weep doesn’t it.

UKIP/BNP/Whoever: “I hate europe”
    public: “Ooh he’ll make a good MEP, vote for him!”
    ****ing idiots.

Junkyard

Aye it was so bad I actually blasphemed in the booth

the polling officer said i was not alone in expressing my dismay.

She might well be a third-rate and no hoper politician,

All countries get someone doing something – or is it two from each country I forget and on mobile so cannot google

You will be telling us that neither mandy nor Kinnock were third rate but the best we had to offer Europe 😉
    I would like to see the list of who we have had as commissioners tbh if someone can google it I bet it is third rate and none of our best serve in the EU . Griffin and farage can get in there and have no hope in a UK election for example
    they are third rate and that is being kind to some of them

ernie_lynch

You will be telling us that neither mandy nor Kinnock were third rate but the best we had to offer Europe

You think other EU commissioners from other countries are any better ?

Hahaha ! 😀

We dump our failed politicians in Brussels because they stand a reasonable chance to continue with their political careers there.

UK politicians in Brussels are of the same calibre as any other.

How do think that Catherine Ashton managed to get the unanimous backing from 27 EU leaders to become responsible for EU foreign affairs if they considered her to be third rate ?

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Aren’t commissioners just advisors and a point of contact for the national elected body to have their opinion heard?
    They don’t appear to have the same clout as a cabinet minister.

Is the fact they are appointed confusing the Ukip types about democracy in Europe?

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

How do think that Catherine Ashton managed to get the unanimous backing from 27 EU leaders to become responsible for EU foreign affairs if they considered her to be third rate ?

Tis a very good question to ponder, how on earth…..? Still the people of Ukraine and other hot spots are no doubt mightily relieved to be in such good hands! That is quite some CV she brings with her.

konabunny

Not the gravy train riders and trough feeders we currently attract.

An excellent point and one that Nigel Farage was making to his wife earlier today.

There should also be a requirement that anyone standing for a representative position in politics should have experience from a real world ™ job. (That’s one outside the sphere of Westminster, local council working for daddy or daddy’s friends).

What, you mean like Thatcher, Kinnock, Blair, Brown, Farage, Clegg, Cameron…? That’s a particularly straw-y straw man.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

Agree about the stupidity of voting for people who want the EU to fail, and then giving them the chance to earn £3000 a month or whatever it is to actually do naff all about it.

I voted for one of the parties that want to improve the way the EU works by working with it rather than against it. Not so much a protest vote, more a “Polite, excuse me” vote 😕

Junkyard

You think other EU commissioners from other countries are any better ?

Hahaha
    I expressed no opinion on that issue I simply said mandy and Kinnock were third rate. Do you agree or disgaree?

ernie_lynch

Aren’t commissioners just advisors and a point of contact for the national elected body to have their opinion heard?

They are a bit more than just that. They have executive power and only they can propose legislation. The EU Parliament, the one we voted for this week, has no power to initiate legislation and the best they can manage is to rubber stamp any legislation put to them by the EU Commission.

EU Commissioners have a great deal of power – initiating legislation, ensuring its implementation, etc, irrespective of the wishes of the electorate in the countries affected. And they are of course completely unelected.

In the case of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Catherine Ashton, she came to the top job of deciding day to day EU foreign policy via the British House of Lords, Tony Blair liked her, and has never won an election in her life.

Nice work if you can get it.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

OMG, I share an opinion with ernie! 😯

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘I know that this a typically centre right forum..’ is closed to new replies.