• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by eskay.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I know nothing about road bikes…..some advice would be great.
  • dingabell
    Free Member

I’m maybe thinking about a road bike for my 25 mile round trip to work?
    I know absolutely nothing about road bikes but just want a cheap as chips first bike to get me there.
    Are any of the reduced ones on Paul’s Cycles any good?
    I’m 6ft with 33 inch inside leg and not even sure what size I’d require?
    Any advice much appreciated.

dingabell
    Free Member

If I put the thread on the bike forum it would probably help?

parkesie
    Free Member

Try to atleast sling a leg over a few to get sized up. Also consider cx type things for a fast comuter as you can stick full guards and racks on most. And its good for just exploring off the road on your way home. The cannondales on pauls are great value and get great reviews. Synapse is the more comfort orientated one, super six the full race mode.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If commuting all year, go for mudguard and rack mount, and a balance of speed and comfor .

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Don’t go more than a 57cm Top tube at your height.

Cheap? Btwin?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-id_8306187.html

I’d sell you my unused Boardman Carbon, but I’m looking for £600 lol.

Go for a cheap one like Triban, learn from mistakes and see if you fall in love with road bikes before you spend loads.

jolmes
    Free Member

Will be selling a Canyon Roadlite at the end of the week when I pick my new one up. It’s a 2xl (62cm frame) though so may be huge for you, I’m 6’4 and its a good fit. Not sure if it would be massive but looking for £400, lemme know if you don’t find out.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Get a B’Twin on the bike to work scheme, 500 quid and you will probably end up paying a lot less. Persevere with hand positions on the bars though. I remember that being the hardest thing when I first got a road bike, it feel like you have no padding but you really do get used to it.

wilburt
    Free Member

But whatever Caad8, Defy, Speedster takes your fancy, gets some lights, bibs,shoes and pedals helmet, bag etc and get riding. You’ll work out what works for you soon enough.

Frankenstein
    Free Member
    captain-slow
    Free Member
    TubsRacing
    Free Member

That things you need link doesn’t mention a track pump; that’s got to be a must. Try a few different bikes and sizes
    is definitely good advice

oldbloke
    Free Member

And see if you can get everything you need to carry into a decent saddlebag, like the carradice ones. Much better than a rack and pannier for balance and catching wind and better than a rucsac for comfort.

dingabell
    Free Member

Will I be scowled at if I ride to work in jeans not lycra?
    Will also have flat pedals because of dodgy knees.
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone.
    Very helpful.

scotia
    Free Member

flat pedals is what i use.. use what you want!

25 miles round trip in jeans… would you do that on a mtb?! You could just wear normal shorts you know, if you’re afraid of lycra?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Don’t worry what others think, whatever works for you works. Wear jeans by all means – depends if you find them comfy or not. I wouldn’t get too hung up on the bike. Just buy a cheap half decent one – i.e. not a cheap Halfords Trax effort. I see alot of people at work who are daily all weather commuters and not ‘into’ cycling on Carerra’s and B’Twins and they seem to be perfectly fine and adequate. lightweight enough, half decent reliable kit on them.

Again use flats if you like – if you’re not used to cleat’s then that might be best, but i’m thinking about ditching my road specific pedals and cleats for MTB ones anyway. I really don’t see the point in road specific cleats – MTB ones do the job just as well, you’re able to walk on MTB shoes normally and not like you’re on a sheet of ice,they’re easier to clip in, double sided, usually have a bit more float to them than road systems so better for dodgy knees, stability comes from the stiff sole on the shoe not the cleat. Might be a different story if you’re a Pro, but 99.9% of people are not Pro’s. But then again, no point in clippless pedals at all unless you’re going to use them and actually pull back and up on the pedals.

wilburt
    Free Member

re road cleats.

I actually prefer road pedal because there pretty good with normal shoes, my commute is only about 5 miles and I often do it in jeans and trainers on bikes with road pedals. If I had mtb pedals I would have to use myb shoes.

So for me after years of trying every pedal under the sun my road bikes have road pedals just because they are more useful gor casual riding and more focused rides.

I’m not getting into a whats best for you type conversstion btw just saying what works for me 🙂 If the ops new flats are probably the best place to start but 12 miles in jeans may get a bit uncomfortable.

butcher

For commuting, I’d definitely look for something with clearance for mudguards and 28mm tyres. Shouldn’t need to spend a lot. Some cheap bikes do the job well. Maybe worth looking at some of the Audax style bikes, like the winter bikes from Ribble.

eskay

Buying cheap can sometimes be a false economy.

If you intend to ride all year then you need to keep on top of maintenance or get single speed (if route is flat) or an Alfine type system.

As others have said, mudguard clearance is a good idea. Mudguards for frames that aren’t designed for mudguards are always a comprimise.

My commuter (for a flat commute) is a fixed gear bike with mudguard clearance (and eyes). Just have to oil the chain and change tyres/brake blocks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I know nothing about road bikes…..some advice would be great.’ is closed to new replies.