Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • I know it’s been moaned about but The Classifieds?
  • singletrackmind

Can we have the old one back please . Just make it so you have to be a ” P ” to post up a classified ad, but use the old platform.
    Will stop most of the scammers
    Will stop most of “Paypal Gift ” threads
    Well worth it as it ” P ” memebership then gets you something worth having.
    As there 12000 00000 0000 billion new visitors each month then it only takes a few percentage of those to buy a P memebership to massively raise income , add value, and with a decent classifieds where stuff gets posted hourly instead of daily , and usefull little bit stuff, not just large items , will self generate unique site visitos, P memebers , page veiws etc

silverneedle
    Free Member

I would buy a P if you brought the old classifieds back. Often payed with paypal gift and didnt get scammed perhaps i was lucky but if in doubt I looked at the sellers old posts to check them out.

bigblackshed

So picking through this thread, the reason the new classifieds are crap is that you have to post a photo rather than ask for one, you have to scroll past the promoted paid ads to get to the latest ad, it discourages scammers, and that the item you want is not for sale?

Right. Got it.

gingerbllr
    Free Member

Need something second hand

Go to classifieds

No ads

Disable adblock

Ads show

Laptop fan starts going mental

Try browsing ads, laptop slows to a crawl.

Bin it all off, go to pinkbike

Am I alone?

bearnecessities

Laptop fan starts going mental

Don’t particularly want to get involved in the predictable shit-fest, but that made me chuckle.

I’ve got a pretty decent laptop, but if I’m not logged in it goes into meltdown when opening up the classifieds.

sc-xc

I find the new classifieds a pain in the arse, so I don’t bother.

The absolutely meaningless ‘remember me’ button is infuriating though. Every time I look at the forum I have to log in a few times. I suppose it helps manipulate the google analytic figures though.

swanny853

Less, better ads in my opinion. Hasn’t particularly changed my use of it- just wanted to balance out with the fact that some of us aren’t that bothered.

kaiser
    Free Member

Used to visit the site every day without fail and loved the old classifieds ..using it to buy and sell many times. It was a great resource and such a shame it’s so poor nowadays. That’s just my subjective experience whether anybody is interested or not.

DT78
    Free Member

Add my voice. New format is crap. I used to buy and sell a lot through classifieds, I don’t bother now.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d never used the classified till a month or so ago, when I searched for a wheel, found a wheel, bought a wheel.

Pure shit! 😆

nickc

Used it just before the weekend.  Found thing I wanted, bought it. It was an awful experience*

*not really.

oldnpastit

I sold a bike frame through the classifieds last week, it actually went fine.

Well, apart from the crack in the frame we discovered, but since the buyer only wanted the chainstays, we came to a mutually amicable agreement.

I don’t think STW can be held responsible for that, other than perhaps hosting discussions where people suggest that drilling a hole in your frame to route a dropper post cable is a good idea.

zippykona

I shall be listing a frame soon that has a hole drilled for a dropper. It has been fine for years and can assure any prospective buyers that it will be fine for years to come!

V2 Scandal 29 16 inch just in case I can’t work the ads.

Speeder

So anecdotally and at a rough thumb in the air guess it’s 8/2 it’s bad and I don’t bother any more vs I haven’t a problem with it/it works for me. So where’s the traffic coming from?

Sure as hell isn’t me, my hourly visits have reduced to well couple of times a month, if that.

For all the reasons brought up here and in the original “we’re closing the classifieds” thread I can now no longer be bothered. Community be damned, it’s a resource isn’t it and the tangible numbers don’t lie. At least it’s saved me a load of money buying things I don’t really need.

Drac

So anecdotally and at a rough thumb in the air guess it’s 8/2 it’s bad and I don’t bother any more vs I haven’t a problem with it/it works for me. So where’s the traffic coming from?

Those that can’t be bothered to respond to this thread.

boblo
    Free Member

Drac, here we go again. You don’t have to jump on everytime to defend it. We established up there ^ it’s not your baby so just let them eat cake…

oldtennisshoes

I have no idea about the numbers or the viability of the current incarnation of the classifieds, but we tend to feel losses greater than similarly sized gains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_theory

Drac

Drac, here we go again. You don’t have to jump on everytime to defend it. We established up there ^ it’s not your baby so just let them eat cake…

Do you need a hug?

ton

i was a serial parts/bike seller. a lot of forumites got some good stuff at good prices.

i no longer use the classifieds.

Drac knows why.

Drac

I seem to recall yes. 😂

tjagain

Guys – you are missing a basic point here. The old classified didn’t make STW any money despite the traffic as no one donated. The new classifieds make STW money.

YOu have to remember the forum supports the rest of STW. they have to make money from it. If all you old classifieds users donated a few quid then they would have continued

scotroutes

Yep, I was never a regular classifieds user but I punted a few quid in the direction of STW after any successful sale. IIRC I was one of the very few to do so.

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘I know it’s been moaned about but The Classifieds?’ is closed to new replies.